Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

** Digitech Central Telemetric Unit for Jeti **

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

** Digitech Central Telemetric Unit for Jeti **

Old 08-27-2018, 10:54 AM
Ceeray

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi. I almost pressed order button but then checked the pics. I need this to work with twin VT80. And I see only one normal servo port for ecu.. ?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:58 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceeray
Hi. I almost pressed order button but then checked the pics. I need this to work with twin VT80. And I see only one normal servo port for ecu.. ?
you need 2 x CTU for twin turbines .
you can set one to master and the other to slave.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:20 AM
Ceeray

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok thanks. Then I stick to my Xicoy adapters.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:00 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by digitech
And saying that if you have a 536 we have a unknown.
maybe you can contact us and also send the /ctu log file to us.
so we can see the missing status.
here you go .. the variation while flying was what got me curious...
Old 08-28-2018, 02:02 AM
ww2birds

The first "question mark" was a message re: RX signal, second is the funny "X1" next "X100" then finally a turbine shutdown.

I presume the "x1" and "x100" are not from CTU based on your comments .. but I'll keep looking!

I really like the CTU .. keep up the great work!

Dave
Old 08-28-2018, 03:11 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by ww2birds
The first "question mark" was a message re: RX signal, second is the funny "X1" next "X100" then finally a turbine shutdown.

I presume the "x1" and "x100" are not from CTU based on your comments .. but I'll keep looking!

I really like the CTU .. keep up the great work!

Dave

can you send me your log thru Email? want to have a look in the Jeti studio ;-)
no the X1 and the X100 are not CTU based
Old 08-30-2018, 08:17 AM
ww2birds

Log file sent to [email protected]
Old 09-03-2018, 05:49 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Sandro and Carsten... If you are designing a device to measure ECU battery consumption, please note that most of the new ECUs go through cool down process when the receiver has been turned off (I.e. no power to CTU)

Thanks
Old 09-04-2018, 03:23 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
Sandro and Carsten... If you are designing a device to measure ECU battery consumption, please note that most of the new ECUs go through cool down process when the receiver has been turned off (I.e. no power to CTU)

Thanks

we checked that also , after measuring most turbines used less then 50 mah on cool down , so not really needed to measure this without having a lot of extra cable work..
Old 09-04-2018, 03:28 AM
digitech

Sneak Preview Twin engine LUA script by Daniel Maiorano.
CTU
Old 09-06-2018, 08:05 PM
clavin
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool!!!!
+
Old 09-09-2018, 12:31 PM
ww2birds

Hi CTU fans. I just spent a few hours on the test stand with a Merlin 200XBL turbine (with the brushless/digital pump) connected to the CTU.

My goal was to find the correct fuel consumption calibration number (Pump Factor), which for this setup I estimate to be 46.

Details:

I had flown the CTU (and really like it!) and found the suggested pump factor of 200 to be reporting waaaay to little fuel consumption. With Gapsar's "Telemetry 1" adapter or his Flight Computer, he suggests a default of 200. Just as Sandor does. With the Xicoy Tele-1 and FC devices hooked to the 200XBL I found that the more correct number was 185-187 .. so the 200 setting was conservative .. so that is sensible.

Clearly something very different is going on with the CTU's calculation (which is just fine .. they never stated compatible fuel factors with the Gaspar units).

After several calibration runs (as outlined in the CTU's manual) I'd say that the correct pump factor for this motor on the CTU is approximately 46 (perhaps +/-2) .. it repeated on two calibration runs and reports not only the 1L "measured mile" correctly as in the manual, but it also gets the total fuel consumption within a few percent from before startup to after shutdown when compared to the weight change of the fuel tank. I used Sandor's 0.8Kg/L fuel density number.

I was using a BVM UAT, all 1/8" (3.2mm) ID tygon on the inlet side, the usual 4mm clear tubuing on the pump output, and a 3S LiFE ECU battery.

I would be curious if others have also determined similar factors. Perhaps it is very different for the old DC motors and the brushless digital pump?

Dave
Old 09-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi CTU fans. I just spent a few hours on the test stand with a Merlin 200XBL turbine (with the brushless/digital pump) connected to the CTU.

My goal was to find the correct fuel consumption calibration number (Pump Factor), which for this setup I estimate to be 46.

Details:

I had flown the CTU (and really like it!) and found the suggested pump factor of 200 to be reporting waaaay to little fuel consumption. With Gapsar's "Telemetry 1" adapter or his Flight Computer, he suggests a default of 200. Just as Sandor does. With the Xicoy Tele-1 and FC devices hooked to the 200XBL I found that the more correct number was 185-187 .. so the 200 setting was conservative .. so that is sensible.

Clearly something very different is going on with the CTU's calculation (which is just fine .. they never stated compatible fuel factors with the Gaspar units).

After several calibration runs (as outlined in the CTU's manual) I'd say that the correct pump factor for this motor on the CTU is approximately 46 (perhaps +/-2) .. it repeated on two calibration runs and reports not only the 1L "measured mile" correctly as in the manual, but it also gets the total fuel consumption within a few percent from before startup to after shutdown when compared to the weight change of the fuel tank. I used Sandor's 0.8Kg/L fuel density number.

I was using a BVM UAT, all 1/8" (3.2mm) ID tygon on the inlet side, the usual 4mm clear tubuing on the pump output, and a 3S LiFE ECU battery.

I would be curious if others have also determined similar factors. Perhaps it is very different for the old DC motors and the brushless digital pump?

Dave
Dave, glad you like the CTU
Regarding the pumpfactor (fuelfactor for projet/jetcat and AMT), the default values are all from testsetups of various engines. However, the pumpfactors will vary between engine types (within the same brand) and also between setups (restrictions, tube diameters etc) so there is nothing wrong with the value being (far) off from the default value. I have some numbers from different setups (primarily from local friends that have installed the CTU in different planes/engines) and will try and make a list of whats being used around the world.

BTW, there is nothing (whatsoever) similarity between what pumpfactors are being used in other products, the algorithm I use in the CTU is fine-tuned to give good results for all engines (so far) that we know of.
It even corrects the fuel consumption numbers from jetcats and projet even though they calculate the fuel consumption directly in the ECU. This however, is with a large error which the CTU can correct for (a couple of days ago a JetCat P200SX was corrected by 13% by the CTU to get the fuel consumption spot on. I'm not sure there are that many other telemetry units on the market that does this, and at the same time supports pretty much all engines available. Regarding "all engines", 3 more brands are now creeping into the CTU, one of them already done (awaiting more testing), the next two will enter the CTU codebase shortly
More info when they are done and tested!
Old 09-10-2018, 05:49 AM
ww2birds

Thanks Carsten. Just to be clear, I did not expect that the CTU calculations were the same as, or compatible with the numbers used by Gaspar's devices. And I am sure it will vary by specific engine and installation (that's why I included the setup info) .. especially with the Merlins where some have "classic" DC pump motors and some have the new digital/brushless motors. I just wanted to contribute a number for this one engine.

I have several Jetcat setups with Gaspar's devices (tele1/2/3 or FC) and I'm slowly converting to CTUs (just got two more from Danny last week) so it will be interesting to compare the "pre-calculated" (by the ECU) numbers from the Jetcats to the CTU. FWIW, I have found the Jetcat calculations to be pretty close, at least on the P200 and the P300.

Dave
Old 09-10-2018, 07:00 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks Carsten. Just to be clear, I did not expect that the CTU calculations were the same as, or compatible with the numbers used by Gaspar's devices. And I am sure it will vary by specific engine and installation (that's why I included the setup info) .. especially with the Merlins where some have "classic" DC pump motors and some have the new digital/brushless motors. I just wanted to contribute a number for this one engine.

I have several Jetcat setups with Gaspar's devices (tele1/2/3 or FC) and I'm slowly converting to CTUs (just got two more from Danny last week) so it will be interesting to compare the "pre-calculated" (by the ECU) numbers from the Jetcats to the CTU. FWIW, I have found the Jetcat calculations to be pretty close, at least on the P200 and the P300.

Dave
Oh, I didn't read your comment as that, no worries
Its funny with the JetCats and their fuel calculation, I have found that all my P20SX are off by at least 10%, some even 30%, but P160 and P180 I have are all reasonably spot on (maybe 5% or so off).
With the CTU you can however finetune this as much as you like, I have seen a guy with a sense for details getting his close to 1% for the fuel
Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 AM
ww2birds

Imagine that :-)

I presume it should be a very reliable measurement, especially on the brushless pumps where the ECU can precisely specify the RPM .. since the gear pumps have a specific displacement per rotation and the fuel is not very compressible (though presumably more compressible than water since it "entrains" air so easily).

Dave
Old 09-10-2018, 09:47 AM
hk3957w

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good day

I receive the CTU, follow the manual and this forum to install, I am reading in the DS24 all information coming from the CTU and kingtech 120 g2 with the LUA app can see in the device explorer also can configure the CTU from the transmitter, port configured in Exbus. but I have some doubts.

1. CTU state is 1536 with no change if move the throttle. its ok?
2. in the CTU the red light is flashing fast. its ok?
3. can I connect at the same time the kingtech GSU and the CTU?

Thanks to all and good day

Last edited by hk3957w; 09-10-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:43 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by hk3957w
good day

I receive the CTU, follow the manual and this forum to install, I am reading in the DS24 all information coming from the CTU and kingtech 120 g2 with the LUA app can see in the device explorer also can configure the CTU from the transmitter, port configured in Exbus. but I have some doubts.

1. CTU state is 1536 with no change if move the throttle. its ok?
2. in the CTU the red light is flashing fast. its ok?
3. can I connect at the same time the kingtech GSU and the CTU?

Thanks to all and good day
Hi Yes 1536 is Trim low - turbine off all ok!
yes led should be flashing fast that is ok

yes you can connect the GSU at the same time as the CTU it makes no difference. (NOT on some Jetcat GSU!)
you can use a `Y` Lead or a "V" lead depending wich country you come from , its due to a cultural difference we can call it a V or a Y lead :-). right Cartsen?
Old 09-11-2018, 12:50 AM
Carsten Groen

Hi Yes 1536 is Trim low - turbine off all ok!
yes led should be flashing fast that is ok

yes you can connect the GSU at the same time as the CTU it makes no difference. (NOT on some Jetcat GSU!)
you can use a `Y` Lead or a "V" lead depending wich country you come from , its due to a cultural difference we can call it a V or a Y lead :-). right Carsten?
Ah yes, you made me spit cola on my keyboard once more
The "cultural differences" is an internal joke between Sandor an me, we have some very interesting emails between a Chinese manufacturer of boards and their interpretation of "right angle connectors". Basically they mounted straight connectors in a prototype board and sent us a picture of it. We replied that the BOM files/specification said the connector should be "right angle", their answer was that in china, "right angle" means straight and the problem (they did not admit it was a fault of theirs) was "due to cultural differences". Go figure....
Old 09-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I email Sandor but he’s at the Jet Power and probably won’t have time to answer me...

So here the question, I installed a CTU with a KingTech G2 and a Jeti R12 Assist RX....this is my first CTU

All I see if this,

All the app screens selections work fine, got no error except the red light flash pretty fast (could be a problem)

I also have to disconnect the CTU on startup because it just chase around, I did load the Assist software...but still seem to have a power up problem...

Last edited by Dansy; 09-14-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:56 PM
digitech

Good morning from Jetpower..
even from here we give support..
you need to change the special assist firmware
download this : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ult1kzg4ex...ssist.sfw?dl=0

after this rename that file to firmware.sfw
put it on a sd card
insert in the ctu and power it on .
2 leds will toggle
for about 5 seconds and all should work ok.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:10 AM
Dansy

Good morning Sandor......it think I got it working for the screen part from the email’s, will load this software once I get back home from the field this afternoon.....

Great service.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Dansy

Well all is good really like this Telemetry device, work fine with the screen set to white background, they are working for the dark one fix as well.....but I’m really impress with Saturday help. Thank you
Old 10-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Custmachr
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am waiting to recieve a newer Model JC , after this we will add it.
sorry about the delay , i have written many emails to JC but never got a answer.
i guess its because they also sell Telemetric stuff.
Any updates on using the CTU with the new Jet Central controller??
Thanks
Tim
Old 10-06-2018, 03:41 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

We are currently working with Jet Central to get Sandor and his team an engine and data to add them to the great lineup of engines supported by the CTU.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.