Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kingtech Oil vs DTE

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kingtech Oil vs DTE

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 09:26 AM
peter w h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kingtech Oil vs DTE

Silly to have two different gas jugs or is it?
Does anyone have experience using Kingtech oil in other brands of turbines?
I am presently using DTE in J/C and Jetsmunt units but would gladly switch to only Kingtech oil
to save the hassle of two different jugs.

Peter.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:19 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Kingtech oil is good stuff so no worries
Old 04-01-2018, 10:58 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

From what I've read/heard Kingtech oil is Shell T32, which is Shell's version of DTE Lite. I believe Kingtech adds a little anti static to it. I doubt that anyone could tell the difference between an engine run on Kingtech vs. DTE. I know that's not Kingtech's position because they want you to buy their stuff. Perhaps someone in the know could chime in.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:05 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Shell T32 ("Kingtech oil") in JetCat, JetsMunt and Kingtech without any problems.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The KingTech oil should be fine for your other engines. The biggest thing I do not like about it is that it only comes in two gallon jugs. I'm not sure about the anti-static.

I run JC/s, KingTechs and a Behotec on JetCat oil which comes in one quart containers, has anti-static fluid and contains no carcinogens.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:58 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Zeeb
The KingTech oil should be fine for your other engines. The biggest thing I do not like about it is that it only comes in two gallon jugs. I'm not sure about the anti-static.

I run JC/s, KingTechs and a Behotec on JetCat oil which comes in one quart containers, has anti-static fluid and contains no carcinogens.
Just save a quart and use it as the measuring cup
Old 04-01-2018, 12:43 PM
jesse2357
My Feedback: (2)

I’ve been using Kingtech oil since day one, 2 Kingtech one jetmunts no issues
Old 04-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool, another oil thread!

What I can't understand is how some manufacturers are happy to recommend an oil & warrant their engines
using it but other manufacturers forbid use of that oil, say they can tell if you have been using it & will void
your warranty if you use it.

Turbines are basically the same design (except for small detail changes), use the same bearings & even use
common equipment like ECUs & pumps yet some manufacturers want you to use their 'special' oil exclusively
which, surprise, surprise, is more expensive. Smells like marketing rather than engineering to me.

As for Peter's original question, if you are happy to pay the price for Kingtech oil, and, perhaps more importantly
if it's hassle free & convenient to obtain it then I would certainly use it.

While we're asking questions what's everyone's thoughts on downwind turns?

Last edited by Boomerang1; 04-01-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:45 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Boomerang1
While we're asking questions what's everyone's thoughts on downwind turns?
Depends on if we're making it around a fixed geographical point like they make you do in full scale flight training....
Old 04-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Just save a quart and use it as the measuring cup
You don't understand; I'm not interested in pouring oil from one container to another so it can be poured into the fuel. Let alone having to cleanup afterward and try to keep the dang dust/dirt out of everything. That's why I went to the premeasured bottles of Stihl Ultra for my two strokes long before my first turbine. I tried screwing around with the Redline, but it was just a pain in the butt.... lol
Old 04-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

In the past, I used Kingtech oil in my JetCats. Then switched to Mobile. Got a K160 coming for a new plane and am planning to use Kingtech exclusively, one the case of Mobile is gone.
I did have one P-90RXi disintegrate. But, I don't think that was due to oil problems.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:17 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Zeeb
You don't understand; I'm not interested in pouring oil from one container to another so it can be poured into the fuel. Let alone having to cleanup afterward and try to keep the dang dust/dirt out of everything. That's why I went to the premeasured bottles of Stihl Ultra for my two strokes long before my first turbine. I tried screwing around with the Redline, but it was just a pain in the butt.... lol
To each his own, I personally dont find taking the kingtech oil and pouring it into a quart then fuel all that difficult or messy.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:53 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Does kingtech oil have an msds? Its more like vegetable oil with the way insects go after it.

I'm curious of proof it us shell t32.

I used to use dte light and it ruined my kingtech engines bearings early and caused rub.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:25 PM
marquisvns

Hi Guys,

A little history of KingTech oil, since the beginning, V1 was introduced and formulated with Tellus 32, and was then replaced by the V2 (a different base oil and additives) also from Shell. We apologize about the confusion for not having updated the website picture file. If you take a look at any KT oil purchased within the last two years or so, it will indicate V2 and not Tellus 32.

However, since November 2017, we found a fully synthetic variant, that doesn't require the exploration of virgin petroleum oil. The V3 (beta) KingTech oil is so eco friendly that it is Executive Order 13149 compliant. Besides all the benefits of V2 KT oil, the new V3 will have a new zinc/phosphorous additive to minimize wear in high speed and high pressure vane. It also has the highest viscosity index in its class, at 116, which is big if you have wide seasonal variations. To date, beta testing is almost complete with superior results.

Regards,
Barry

Last edited by marquisvns; 04-01-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:27 PM
marquisvns

Duplicated post
Attached Thumbnails 00-10551.pdf  

Last edited by marquisvns; 04-01-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:29 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Been running Kingtech Oil in all my engines since I started flying turbines, Kingtechs, JetsMunt, and Jetcat, always performs flawlessly, and has the anti-static already in it. Also On a price basis, it is one of the best out there, 90$ shipped to your door for 2 gallons. Pouring it is also very easy, the gallon jug has circles molded in the side at every quart level, I just fill those circles in with a sharpie when I get the oil so I can see the marks clearlyl. Then I take my Fuel can pour a quart in using the dots as the reference, and fill with fuel... Very easy, and proven. I got a Gallon of the new Oil from Barry back at the beginning of this year, went through it pretty quickly, and my engines are running Perfectly. Personally, I will not run any other oil besides Kingtech.

Last edited by raron455; 04-01-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:35 PM
marquisvns

Originally Posted by essyou35
Does kingtech oil have an msds? Its more like vegetable oil with the way insects go after it.

I'm curious of proof it us shell t32.

I used to use dte light and it ruined my kingtech engines bearings early and caused rub.
Joey, your K100 wasn't an isolated case caused by DTE, almost all the premature shortening of the shaft tunnel of K100s were DTE related and no case found with KT oil.

Regards,
Barry
Old 04-01-2018, 09:38 PM
marquisvns

Originally Posted by raron455
Been running Kingtech Oil in all my engines since I started flying turbines, Kingtechs, JetsMunt, and Jetcat, always performs flawlessly, and has the anti-static already in it. Also On a price basis, it is one of the best out there, 90$ shipped to your door for 2 gallons. Pouring it is also very easy, the gallon jug has circles molded in the side at every quart level, I just fill those circles in with a sharpie when I get the oil so I can see the marks clearlyl. Then I take my Fuel can pour a quart in using the dots as the reference, and fill with fuel... Very easy, and proven. I got a Gallon of the new Oil from Barry back at the beginning of this year, went through it pretty quickly, and my engines are running Perfectly. Personally, I will not run any other oil besides Kingtech.
Thanks for the report and support Ronnie!

Regards,
Barry

Last edited by marquisvns; 04-01-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:44 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by marquisvns
Joey, your K100 wasn't an isolated case caused by DTE, almost all the premature shortening of the shaft tunnel of K100s were DTE related and no case found with KT oil.
I'm still relatively new to all this and I know it's probably been hashed out in these forums, but what could a particular oil have (or not have) that could cause such dramatic wear?
Old 04-02-2018, 06:21 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Auburn02
I'm still relatively new to all this and I know it's probably been hashed out in these forums, but what could a particular oil have (or not have) that could cause such dramatic wear?
I would say oil gumming up the inside is probably a more common problem.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:54 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

For another cool plug for Barry and the team, when I bought my engines (K-85 G2’s), Barry et al, sent me two free gallons of their oil even though I didn’t buy any. Now that’s good looking out.

Unfortunately for me, I had bought a case of aero shell 500 just before I seriously started running my Kingtech’s so I have 2 jersey modelers, one for my KingTechs and 1 for all my other engines. As soon as I burn through my A500, I’ll switch over to KingTech oil to everything.

I also cant praise those new G2’s enough! I’ll start a new thread about those however!
Old 04-02-2018, 07:03 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Auburn02
And why would this be a problem only on KT engines?

There seems to be a lot of marketing hype when it comes to oils. Granted there are certain oils that shouldn't be used. I don't buy into the 'buy my oil, everything else is junk' story line. DTE has been widely used by hundreds of modellers for years. I've been using DTE Lite for over 6 years in Jets Munt, Jet Central, and Wren engines with no issues.

I wish that someone would conduct a proper DOE (Design Of Experiments) evaluation and publish the results. It wouldn't be hard to get 5 or 6 of the same engine and run a durability cycle in a lab until failure with the only variable being the oil. However, not too many, other than the engine manufacturers are equipped to do this. They just don't have much incentive to invest the time and money. It's easier to let customers do the testing.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:46 AM
califlyguy

Agree 100% with what he says... Its the best oil, cheapest price with delivered to your door and super easy to measure. Not sure what more people want.

Originally Posted by raron455
Old 04-02-2018, 11:32 AM
BILLYDSRC

What Blows my mind is that "WE" Jet dudes spend thousands and thousands on our jets and turbines and will try to save 10.00 bucks on DTL or other oils that could cause you to loos everything!! The Kingtech will work in most all turbines sooooooooooooo WHY?/?
Just my 2 1/2 cents Billy D

Originally Posted by marquisvns
Hi Guys,

A little history of KingTech oil, since the beginning, V1 was introduced and formulated with Tellus 32, and was then replaced by the V2 (a different base oil and additives) also from Shell. We apologize about the confusion for not having updated the website picture file. If you take a look at any KT oil purchased within the last two years or so, it will indicate V2 and not Tellus 32.

However, since November 2017, we found a fully synthetic variant, that doesn't require the exploration of virgin petroleum oil. The V3 (beta) KingTech oil is so eco friendly that it is Executive Order 13149 compliant. Besides all the benefits of V2 KT oil, the new V3 will have a new zinc/phosphorous additive to minimize wear in high speed and high pressure vane. It also has the highest viscosity index in its class, at 116, which is big if you have wide seasonal variations. To date, beta testing is almost complete with superior results.

Regards,
Barry
Old 04-02-2018, 11:55 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by BILLYDSRC
What Blows my mind is that "WE" Jet dudes spend thousands and thousands on our jets and turbines and will try to save 10.00 bucks on DTL or other oils that could cause you to loos everything!! The Kingtech will work in most all turbines sooooooooooooo WHY?/?
Just my 2 1/2 cents Billy D
"Pit of Misery! Dilly Dilly!!!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.