Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maj. Woody's Skymaster 1/5 F-86

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maj. Woody's Skymaster 1/5 F-86

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Frank Alvarez

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default BAE HAWK fence install

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Hi Frank!
So very nice to hear from you. I have been following your airforce as your birds pop up in a number of threads. Glad to hear you and Karen have settled in. I think you may be looking for how I did my Wing Fences on my Skymaster Hawk. Here is a link to the Build thread and the fences can be found starting on page 18. Hope to see you at an event this year!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...-5-5-a-18.html
Hi Dominic,
Thank you very much for the link, it is exactly what ive been hunting for!
Perhaps we'll see ya at one up both this season.
Take care,
Franko
Old 01-17-2019, 02:52 PM
zdsh13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Vin, I was contemplating the conversion on mine as well. What did Mitch charge for the conversion?
Originally Posted by Vincent

I have since converted my gear to elec (down and locked) and have servos on the doors so everything snugs up tight.
Vin...
Old 03-30-2019, 02:45 PM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Major Woody.....you still working on F-86......had not seen anything on RCU for a while

Two Dogs
Old 03-31-2019, 05:59 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Two Dogs.
I have been chipping away at it slowly. Last with winter I built two flashes and that dominated all my time. It felt like a second job! This winter I made snowmobiling my priority since I missed so much of it last year. Since I last updated the thread, I painted the inside of the rear fuze, finished then tail, installed the elevator and rudder servos and pushrods, set the throws and am now working on the speed brakes. I have those painted and am working on the boxes. I mounted one of the mylar boxes but decided the fit and finish sucked but the real issue is the wavey cheap mylar construction. Even after lightly glassing the outside they were still flimsy and mishapen. Yesterday I started over and am scratch building them from 1/32 ply. I made balsa templates and will test fit the box before cutting the parts out of plywood. Once the boxes are done I need to figure out the scale details for them. The included vacuum formed piece is not up to standard. I wish I could get a hold of the Details 4 Scale kit but I don't think they are in business right now. At some point I will update my thread but with the summer season close at hand I think my building will be minimal and what time I do spend on the Sabre will be in the shop so I won't update the thread in real time like usual.
Dom
Old 04-01-2019, 09:18 AM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a lot of us miss Dan......he was good.....slow but Good
Dave ( Two Dogs) Carter
Old 04-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dom,

I hear your pain with those parts, but feel I should warn, that you do not allow yourself to add any unnecessary weight to the rear off the F-86. It is extremely difficult to Cg this jet without adding lots of nose weight and this alone can make it a very heavy model.

On another point; I trust you've checked the secure mounting of the elevator servo mount in the fuse. SM's gluing of that mount is terrible. I also suggest, that if you used the SM c/f pushrods, that you pin them to the end caps.

Just my 2c.

JanR
Old 04-01-2019, 04:19 PM
MaJ. Woody

Originally Posted by two dogs
a lot of us miss Dan......he was good.....slow but Good
Dave ( Two Dogs) Carter
Yep that was what I was after. IO will need to scratch build something.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:24 PM
MaJ. Woody

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Dom,

I hear your pain with those parts, but feel I should warn, that you do not allow yourself to add any unnecessary weight to the rear off the F-86. It is extremely difficult to Cg this jet without adding lots of nose weight and this alone can make it a very heavy model.

On another point; I trust you've checked the secure mounting of the elevator servo mount in the fuse. SM's gluing of that mount is terrible. I also suggest, that if you used the SM c/f pushrods, that you pin them to the end caps.

Just my 2c.

JanR
Thanks for the feedback Jan. I am worried about the weight. I found the cheap mylar speed brake boxes to be useless so I scratch built some proper fitting boxes out of 1/32" ply. At the moment they are 5 grams (each box) heavier than stock.

I checked the servo plates and they are glued well and also have carbon fiber cloth on them. I used the Dave Brown Arrow Shaft System for my pushrods. I have pictures of everything and i will update the thread at some point.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:29 PM
MaJ. Woody

I am not sure why my links to this thread are not working from the Marketplace. Must be a sign I should not be trying to sell this LOL.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:39 AM
MaJ. Woody

Well I had serious sellors remorse so I decided to keep my Sabre. I will resume work on it this fall and update the build thread as I go. I may update the thread before that as there is a lot of work I completed that has not been documented yet. KY Jets had me very inspired as there were several Sabres there is assorted sizes.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:34 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Dom! Keep the Sabre!

86’s are sweet hearts and fantastic flyers!!

Take your time, enjoy the build and please keep coming back. Your builds are EPIC and quite the contribution to our online community!

Here is is one of the 4 Sabre’s I’ve owned. All but one, as far as I know, are still alive and kicking!

Old 07-19-2019, 04:41 AM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks Dave! Your Sabre looks great!
Old 07-19-2019, 05:11 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ditto what Raf said...i have owned 7 sabres over the years including the one you have (different scheme) good to hear you are keeping it.
Vin
Old 07-21-2019, 05:00 AM
avi sirota

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Well I had serious sellors remorse so I decided to keep my Sabre. I will resume work on it this fall and update the build thread as I go. I may update the thread before that as there is a lot of work I completed that has not been documented yet. KY Jets had me very inspired as there were several Sabres there is assorted sizes.
Keep it coming Dom. Your thread with its info+pictures is priceless.
Thanks,
Avi
Old 07-24-2019, 09:11 AM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks for the kind words Avi!
Old 09-02-2019, 10:38 AM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F86

use Viton for your clunk tubing inside the tank
Old 09-02-2019, 04:17 PM
MaJ. Woody

I bought a bunch of Viton tubing is a few sizes from McMaster Carr. All my Gas planes had Tigon inside the tank and this would get stiff within a season or two. I replaced it with Viton and have not had a problem yet but its not quite been a year yet so time will tell. I am prepared to swap the lines inside my jets tanks for Vtion but so far I have not had a problem with the Tigon. The Viton is a bit more flexible esp[especially the 3/16 ID.