Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mibo A-10 Gen 6

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mibo A-10 Gen 6

Old 11-03-2020, 04:49 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Well, since I have to fix the other side, let me document how to take the gear apart.

The whole strut comes off with loosening of the two set screws on the trunion.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:51 PM
ravill

The hardened steel pin here has the only flat spot in the whole strut.

The fake hydraulic ram just slides out.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:01 PM
ravill

This is the gear door that will break when the gear rotates.

There is one screw with a lock nut. Remove that to expose the first offending set screw.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:05 PM
ravill

One screw and the strut cover comes off.

Old 11-03-2020, 05:09 PM
ravill

These 45 degree set screws let the hardened steel pin out of the strut.

The center set screw is for the shock absorber in the strut.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:11 PM
ravill

Once both bottom set screws are exposed and taken out, the strut can be separated from the scissor mechanism. I had to “coax” my scissors out with a tap or 6. But it comes out.

Old 11-03-2020, 05:14 PM
ravill

Like the other side, I drilled new 8/32 set screws right in the middle of the scissor mechanism and then loctited the EVER LIVING BEJESUS out of every screw and mating surface between the scissor and strut.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:51 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Awesome repair job Raffy 👍
Old 11-05-2020, 02:02 AM
jimibar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you so much Rav for this detailed guide ! Really usefull !
Old 11-13-2020, 07:28 AM
ravill

You are welcome Jim!!

I got 2 more flights on the hog yesterday. I got some video and will need to edit and then I’ll post some!

Jack Diaz Sr gave me a very good tip on mixing some down elevator (15%) with less than 1/2 throttle. Coupled with the demon cortex, these two flights felt like a whole new airplane!!

The gear fix I did seemed to work. I had to retighten one set screw on one side. The plastic covers over the struts can rub some of the loctite off.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:40 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill

You are welcome Jim!!

I got 2 more flights on the hog yesterday. I got some video and will need to edit and then I’ll post some!

Jack Diaz Sr gave me a very good tip on mixing some down elevator (15%) with less than 1/2 throttle. Coupled with the demon cortex, these two flights felt like a whole new airplane!!

The gear fix I did seemed to work. I had to retighten one set screw on one side. The plastic covers over the struts can rub some of the loctite off.
Can you please elaborate on the reason for down mixing the elv at half throttle ..

Thx
Old 11-13-2020, 08:26 AM
ravill

The jet will balloon on idle and will pitch down with throttle.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:34 AM
lavi rider

Ok
IMHO
That means that the CG is rwd and the thrust is pushing it down ( that also could be due to the high positioning of the turbines relative to the aircraft thrust line inducing a pitch down force at high throttle setting )

solution other than mixing : proper CG location .
Second : rectify the thrust line angle on the turbine exhaust via a vector ring . If I recall the turbine exhaust on the full size are facing up some for the same reason I believe ..
Old 11-13-2020, 10:36 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lavi rider
Ok
IMHO
That means that the CG is rwd and the thrust is pushing it down ( that also could be due to the high positioning of the turbines relative to the aircraft thrust line inducing a pitch down force at high throttle setting )

solution other than mixing : proper CG location .
Second : rectify the thrust line angle on the turbine exhaust via a vector ring . If I recall the turbine exhaust on the full size are facing up some for the same reason I believe ..
My MIBO A-10 has never exhibited any pitching moment whatsoever with throttle position (nor did the full scale). The engine mounting arrangement is a little different in the earlier MIBO's with the engine mounted a little further forward and parallel in the nacelle and with a small upward bend in the short tailpipe. Pics below. Still, I don't see why this would make any difference with the current arrangement where the turbine is mounted at an angle and with the exhaust pointed slightly upwards. Seems as though the thrust vector would be the same.

Regarding the CG, mine has migrated forward and aft over the years, with different turbines and equipment placement, and it never seems to make a difference on how it flies or responds to throttle movement.

I would say, if the mixed-in elevator trim offsets the pitching, then that's a reasonable solution.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:44 AM
jackdiazccs

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lavi rider
Can you please elaborate on the reason for down mixing the elv at half throttle ..

Thx

A vectorial analysis of the aerodynamic forces acting around the center of mass at different speeds was performed.
Same analysis was performed around the center of lift.
Both results were introduced as constrains in a simulation algorithm with a linearity objective.
The results from the algorithm were the mixing values applied Raffy's transmitter program.
They happened to work as expected without changing anything else to the airframe.

Jack

Old 11-13-2020, 10:45 AM
ravill

My mibo FOR SURE noses over with throttle more than it balloons at idle. Jack’s mix may have helped with my nosing over and the gyro also helped.

I first noticed how it wants to nose over at take off. If I relax on the elevator at rotation, it wants to dip the nose. I then noticed it again when I wanted to extend my final and I gently touched the throttle and it basically pitched down and touched down right at that spot.

My turbines point up in the stock positions just like my pics in this very thread.

Oh, and my CG is at the factory recommended spot.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:50 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Wrong, in my view !
The airflow over the stab is accelerated by the engine flow increasing its velocity and creating a strong up force, nose down pitch, which needs to be compensated by, in effect, up elevator or stab . angle Remove this engine induced flow, these are high bypass fans, in the real jet and the elevator effect has to be reduced ior compensated . by nose down elevator or stab. angle. So reduce the thrust , reduce that nose up trim or stab. Angle by trimming nose down.
The relative position and sizes of the fullsize engines and the models. may explain the results.

A similar situation existed in the BVM Bobcat where exhaust gas accelerated the speed of airflow over the stab. Causing , at high power, a strong nose up pitch. Hence large down thrust angle on BobCats and King Cats to compensate.

But what would I know !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 11-13-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:57 AM
ravill

There are two philosophical realities I live by:

1. One learns the most from struggle and suffering. So if you can learn another way, do it.

2. When Jack Diaz (this goes for his son too!) tells you something, listen!!!

+++++drops mic+++++++
Old 11-13-2020, 11:16 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Oh I do, I listen to anyone and everyone from whom I can learn anything at all. I have done that in all my career. But after a whole career of flying and instructing on real jets for RAF. pilots and instructors, and airline captains, at the highest level, I make my own conclusions.

So thats my theory on pitch changes on the A10.

So, please Ravil dont dumb it down with your silly pictures, le it for once, have an intelligent discussion.

but, of course, this is RCU!

Last edited by David Gladwin; 11-14-2020 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:23 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Old 11-13-2020, 11:33 AM
lavi rider

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Wrong, in my view !
The airflow over the stab is accelerated by the engine flow increasing its velocity and creating a strong up force, nose down pitch, which needs to be compensated by, in effect, up elevator or stab . angle Remove this engine induced flow, these are high bypass fans, in the real jet and the elevator effect has to be reduced ior compensated . by nose down elevator or stab. angle. So reduce the thrust , reduce that nose up trim or stab. Angle by trimming nose down.
The relative position and sizes of the fullsize engines and the models. may explain the results.

A similar situation existed in the BVM Bobcat where exhaust gas accelerated the speed of airflow over the stab. Causing , at high power, a strong nose up pitch. Hence large down thrust angle on BobCats and King Cats to compensate.

But what would I know !
then as I suggested: pitch up exhaust gases to try and clear the stabilizer as much as possible and rectify the CG ..
Old 11-13-2020, 12:04 PM
lavi rider

From a closer look there’s another theory coming to my mind ..
It seems that the upper surface of the stabilizer is partially blocked effected by the turbulence of the nacelles, reducing airspeed in that area while the lower surface of the stabilizer is in a much streamlined airflow over it . Especially at low airspeed! Meaning an induced down force therefore a nose up pitch . When at higher airspeed that turbulence is somewhat becomes more streamlined and with the effect of the thrust line position higher that the fuselage center line causes a push over ( pitch down )

Perhaps the full size benefiting from different Reynolds # and therefore better overall aerodynamic characteristics combined with the exhaust outlet pointing up was enough to solve the phenomenon .

Seem like the model is suffering from an increased induced drag from the nacelles combined with lower Reynolds # with over all lower aerodynamic characteristics need more attention to the exhaust nozzles angles combined with a bit forward CG just to compensate the pitch up tendencies at lower airspeed ...

My friends A-10 is almost ready for maiden , so I guess my theory will be tested soon 😊
Old 11-13-2020, 02:23 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

These theories all have merit but none would explain why my A-10 does not exhibit the thrust/pitch issue Rav is having. The obvious answer is that one or more relevant factors (i.e. thrust angle, stab incidence, cg, etc..) is different between the two. FWIW, I don't recall any of the earlier MIBO A-10's (up through gen 3), having this issue and I just wonder if MIBO changed something, even in a small way. For example, my stab has noticeable negative incidence and my elevators have always needed about 3/8" up trim for level flight. Maybe Rav can take a close look at these pics of mine and see if there is any obvious difference between his A-10 and mine.

I also know from flying a thrust vectored Eurosport that small amounts of thrust vector angle can have a significant effect. It may be that the thrust angle on his A-10 is only slightly different than mine but enough to cause the pitching. Anyhow, I don't think any of these things can be easily changed on a completed model and the trim compensation still seems like a good solution.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:19 PM
ravill

Originally Posted by David Gladwin

So, please Ravil dont dumb it down with of your silly pictures, le it for once, have an intelligent discussion.

but, of course, this is RCU!
This hobby is supposed to be fun Dave!

No one means any disrespect when we are talking about our toy airplanes, so if someone gets offended, I apologize and others apologize too! Its all good!

And I like silly pics, so likely more are coming!

Craig, I can tell that your exhausts are higher in the rear of the nacelles and my elevators sit pretty much at neutral for flight. I'll double check though. I don't remember alot of up trim on maiden.

Let me go back and post pics of my exhaust.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:31 PM
ravill

Originally Posted by ravill
I wanted to get a sense of how the CG is going to work out so I installed my engines.

This is a really slick way of mounting the engines! They are aligned with the thrust angle.

Here are my engines in the cradle that bolts to the nacelles. Let me see if I can get a rear view pic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.