Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mibo A-10 Gen 6

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mibo A-10 Gen 6

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 12:31 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
I obviously don’t have painting skills either!! LOL

What paint scheme are you going with Edgar?

What servos are you going to use on the rudders?

And it looks great!
I'm going with the 122nd Blacksnakes. I bought the servos last year. Think they are MKS HV777 A+.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:20 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

More paint problems.

I still have some paint peeling and what looks like reacting. I am sanding down and repainting all the defects.

I have to say, painting with this ppg paint on fiberglass has been a PITA.

Rustoleum would at least stick after 24-48 hours.

My practice pieces were a dream, this has been less so.

I’m hoping all my paint touch ups will add to the weathering.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:22 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

All paint has a recoat/top coat window. Is there a chance you're either too early or too late on your color? We use some paint at work that if you don't recoat within 24 hrs the new coats will peel off if you don't sand first.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:28 PM
ravill

Hmmm, these base coats say that all you need is 17 minutes after final to apply tape and/or clear. There is no mention of time to spray next coat/clear.

From my practice pieces, there was fantastic adhesion with quick dry to tape/masking/clear coat application. I must have left the mold release on some how, even with my detergent scrub and 3m scotch brite scuffing.

Obviously people have been painting these without problems, so there is something I’m doing wrong.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Raf what did you prime the jet with or are you painting directly over the gel coat? I have a few ideas as to what your problems are.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:10 PM
LGM Graphix

While I wait for your response I'll make an assumption based on your comments about detergent and scotch brite.

1. Mold release can be a real biatch. It requires a good wax and grease remover. If you are using a detergent it needs to be very hot water and scrub the crap out of the gel coat. Also, the only detergent I can recommend is tide unscented powdered detergent. Anything scented and every liquid detergent I have ever seen has oils in it. So in essence you are contaminating the surface while you are trying to remove contaminants.

2. Scotch brite is nowhere near enough for scuffing a gel coat. For solid colors like you are using I would prep with nothing finer than 600 grit wet/dry paper used wet. Of course if you still have mold release wax or oil on the surface and sand it you are just grinding those contaminants into the surface.

3. I do not know what mibo uses for their "gel coat". Most real gel coats are polyester. Some of our model manufactures use an epoxy primer and call it a gel coat. Epoxy is a funny creature. The only thing that sticks to epoxy is epoxy. In order to get your base coat to adhere properly to the surface you need to do a "wet on wet" application. Basically you spray a coat of epoxy primer onto the surface, let it flash and spray the base coat directly onto that primer (this is assuming you are using solvent based paints).

There is a window of time for optimum adhesion without sanding however this is from base coat to base coat and then clear. PPG DBC paint (almost all urethane base coat paints) are no more than 36 hours without sanding however this is for ideal adhesion for automotive use where it will be exposed to the elements over and over. Out models don't suffer that kind of exposure. It won't cause your first base color to peel, that is an issue between the gel coat and the first coat of paint.

4. We all want to paint "light" but what most do not realize is these paints are designed to work with a minimum film build. If the paint coat is too thin it will peel for sure. Base coat paint should be at least 2 wet coats. Many modelers like to apply a dust coat first. A dust coat does not lay into the sanding grooves and does not allow a good mechanical bite. Couple that with thin of a film build and your paint will peel.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:08 AM
ravill

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
Raf what did you prime the jet with or are you painting directly over the gel coat? I have a few ideas as to what your problems are.
Hi Jeremy! I was going to reach out to you soon too.

I used only Costco detergent (and it had nice smelling stuff in it! Ack!) in warm water. I scrubbed the paint with a two part sponge- with a scotch brite pad on one side.

I let it dry then I scuffed it again with a new 3M scotch brite pad.

I painted the JBX ppg (I am limited to this ppg line in commiefornia) reducing it 1:1 as per directions. I would apply a light first coat and then a nice wet coat.

This mask job is VERY involved and it takes me days to mask.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
Hmmm, these base coats say that all you need is 17 minutes after final to apply tape and/or clear. There is no mention of time to spray next coat/clear.

From my practice pieces, there was fantastic adhesion with quick dry to tape/masking/clear coat application. I must have left the mold release on some how, even with my detergent scrub and 3m scotch brite scuffing.

Obviously people have been painting these without problems, so there is something I’m doing wrong.
I'm with Jeremy, painting directly over gel coat can be problematic if not properly prepped. My experience is that most planes are not gel coated, but primed in the molds. If the plane was primed in the mold then scotch brite and soapy water is all that's needed to give the paint a profile that the subsequent layers of paint can mechanically bond to and will remove the majority of the mold release. On the other hand if it is true gel coat then stronger measures than brown scotch brite need to be used. The few times I've painted directly on gel coat I sanded with 320 grit paper if I'm going to prime and 400 grit paper if I'm going straight to color. Regardless of the other steps I always wipe down with wax and grease remover, and sometimes I even do it twice, once after the part is prepped and again if I've had to rig or hang the part for spraying as oils from your hands can also cause issues.

Something else, are you using a filter at your gun to eliminate any oil that may have carried over from your compressor? My setup includes a 3' length of desiccant hose (don't paint enough for the cost of a good air drier) just before my gun whip, and a filter at the gun, between the two they insure I get clean, dry air to the gun. Have your parts been near where someone might have sprayed armor all or similar products onto a car? A lot of car care products have silicone in them and the slightest bit will cause paint not to adhere.

It can't be stressed enough 95% of a good paint job is the prep.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Smokeyr67

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

How heavily are you applying the paint? Lighter is generally better, especially for the first few coats.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:02 PM
ravill

I am using a filter, right at my gun, right before another pressure regular. Thank you for your insight too. I may be having some timing issues on top of it all as well.

Well, Jeremy ( LGMgraphix ) was nice enough to spend some time with me on the phone and he gave me a road map.

I learned a lot, and I was most surprised at not letting masking tape stay on too long and work only on parts I can finish all at one time.

This last part is the toughest as I have 2 little guys with me. The oldest will sit on the couch and wait for Dad, but the youngest one always wants to see what Dad is up to, so I can only paint when he is napping. I may have to tap into Grandma’s babysitting for a good solid day to paint.

As you can imagine, double masking a digital camo scheme is VERY masking tape intense. I have picked a great first time paint project!!!! (Dripping with sarcasm...)

Old 12-05-2019, 06:19 AM
ravill

And here is a pic of what I’m continuing to deal with. You can see that both coats are coming up and the gel coat is seen beneath.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:23 PM
ravill

Ok. Thank you to all who have helped and and big THANK YOU to Jeremy!! (LGMgraphics)

He spent the better part of an hour with me on the phone giving me pointers.

This paint job is going to be labor INTENSIVE.

Here is the first finished part: the horizontal stab.

It has a gloss clear on top to protect the paint. As I won’t be able to get to it for weeks for decal application (I want the airplane cleared first so I can see it in its entirety) and the clear gloss will do 3 things:

a: protect the paint

b: better adhesion for the decals, especially the wet transfers.

c: let me experiment with weathering before committing as I hate over weathered jets

Old 12-19-2019, 09:55 PM
LGM Graphix

You have only confirmed my suspicion that Californians are crazy! You have way more patience than I do my friend, I just wouldn't even try digital camo!
I'm so glad that things are working for you now. You have no idea how horrible i felt telling you that you were going to have to strip all your previous paint off of the airplane..... I know that pain all too well!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:05 AM
ravill

Frankly, I’m loving how my paint scheme is turning out.

One thing is for sure, this is a sweat and tears, rubbing fingers raw, intensive masking paint job!

Old 02-03-2020, 03:31 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, a lot of work but looking good. We will definitely know which A-10 is yours at future jet meets!
Old 02-05-2020, 09:12 AM
stempi12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow very cool, i really like the splinter color scheme on it. Cant wait to see it all painted.
Keep on with such great work .

Oskar
Old 02-28-2020, 02:56 PM
ravill

Still painting over here.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:15 AM
LGM Graphix

I can't wait to see it all finished dude!
Old 03-03-2020, 07:53 PM
ravill

Old 03-03-2020, 07:54 PM
ravill

Old 03-03-2020, 07:55 PM
ravill

Old 03-04-2020, 07:50 AM
LGM Graphix

Simply awesome my friend!
Old 03-05-2020, 12:10 PM
ravill

Thank you for all your help Jeremy!
Old 03-05-2020, 08:51 PM
LGM Graphix

Dude I'll send YOU my next jet for painting!
Old 03-05-2020, 09:04 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy chit man, that’s crazy!..... crazy good!

paulD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.