Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/6 F-105 Build Thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/6 F-105 Build Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drag chute door.

I gave up on the gear doors for a while and started on something I thought I could get to work...the drag chute system. I had planned at first not to do one, but since Dave made such a cool Lua program to make it work with the Jeti radio I could not resist trying. My concept is to use the Skymaster 1/6 F-4 drag chute hardware and adapt it to the F-105 fuse. Issues are fitting the hardware in above the pipe and protecting it from heat.

First step is to fit the door. My kit parts did not contain a door so Larry took a mold from his door and made a door for me out of laminated balsa and glass. First step is to trace the door outline on the blank.

Rough cut out on jig saw

Sanding to rough shape

Fitting door to cut out in fuse by gently sanding to shape

Door fits into recessed area around cutout

Cut out area marked on bottom of door

Balsa and glass removed from bottom side around door

Door now fits flush with fuse skin

Simulated opening angle

Chute tube and hardware have to fit in above the pipe and be protected from heat