Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/6 F-105 Build Thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/6 F-105 Build Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 07:29 AM
jetjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After making several tanks..............a nice trick is to install some brass tubing ...1/4 " or so.....on the (projected ) trouble corners or other spots on the mold . Then you can use air pressure to push on those corner areas. Sometimes it helps pop the part loose. A tiny piece of tape over the hole keeps the epoxy out.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That sounds like a great idea if I have to make a female mold. I was not planning to to that. I was planning to use the plug as a male mold and drape the glass over the outside of it to make left and right halves. If this does not work out I can always make a female mold and try again.
Thanks, Gary

Old 06-03-2020, 06:32 AM
mauryr

You can also just lay the fabric on the mold and then cut the finished thing in 2 with a dremel. One band of fiberglass to reinforce the joint and voila'
Old 06-03-2020, 04:04 PM
Viper1GJ

That's exactly what I did on my first homemade tanks. Worked ok but if for some reason it fails or I finally need to make a female mold it would mess up my plug. Hoping my plan for two sides will work just like the ones Paul makes for the foamie turbine conversions, just a larger size. If not I could use the plug to make a mold. I've never done that before either. The photos of my first try are here in post #461-#463: Skymaster 1/5 Scale F16 Build Thread #461-#463 Thanks for the tips.

Things got slowed down this week. Went to dermatology doc to get a skin cancer spot on top of my head removed. Top of my head feels like I'm hanging from a giant claw and hurts alot so I did not get any tank work done the last two days. Mostly did some design work on a drag chute deploy and release system then quit for the day. More to come when feeling better. Also waiting for some more glass and release film to come in.
Gary
Old 06-03-2020, 09:15 PM
shahzad haider

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ View Post
Hi Mike, I will try to stuff it in somewhere for SJS. its real long for sure. I hope I can get it on the gear by then just for static display.
Gary
Nice jet
Old 06-04-2020, 05:58 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's exactly what I did on my first homemade tanks. Worked ok but if for some reason it fails or I finally need to make a female mold it would mess up my plug. Hoping my plan for two sides will work just like the ones Paul makes for the foamie turbine conversions, just a larger size. If not I could use the plug to make a mold. I've never done that before either. The photos of my first try are here in post #461-#463: Skymaster 1/5 Scale F16 Build Thread #461-#463 Thanks for the tips.
Man I'm even getting great ideas from this thread that aren't part of this thread! You the man, Gary!
Old 06-05-2020, 04:07 AM
mauryr

Things got slowed down this week. Went to dermatology doc to get a skin cancer spot on top of my head removed. Top of my head feels like I'm hanging from a giant claw and hurts alot so I did not get any tank work done the last two days. Mostly did some design work on a drag chute deploy and release system then quit for the day. More to come when feeling better. Also waiting for some more glass and release film to come in.
Gary
Ah yeah, I remember now, you used the lost foam method. The way I did this was slightly different: I covered the plug with tape, covered the tape in soap/body cream and then, when I cut the molded tank in half, I just cut with the dremel on the surface and that did not ruin the plug (which I still have in case I ever want to make another, better, tank).

Old 06-05-2020, 04:40 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell Gary's fuel tank looks better than my jets.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:09 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gary,
one think you can do that i have done that works well. Layup a tank half that goes just past the centerline of the tank and leave it to cure. Once it cures, remove the tank half, trimmed the excess glass off and put the half back onto the tank.

then using some Flash Breaker tape, put a strip around the perimeter of the tank shell half and onto the tank plug so that the tape is centered over the joint. Then make a 2-3” wide area of the tank shell previously layed up covered in the flash breaker tape. Then you can layup the other half of the tank and have the glass of this layup overlap onto the previous tank half ontop of the flash breaker tape. This makes up an automatic flange on one tank shell half to bond the two pieces together.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Viper1GJ

Thomas, this is exactly the process I want to use. This is how Paul A. makes his foamie conversion tanks. He sent me photos of his process and I was trying to follow it. Thats why I'm trying to make the plug smooth with proper draft angles so I can pull the tank half off with out damage to the plug or part.

I dont know what "flash breaker tape" is. I was going to try to use some electrical tape, automotive fine line masking tape, or just clear packing tape. Does the flash tape have any stretch to cover the small gap from the first layup to the plug on the second layup?

Also the reason I vacuumed bagged the plug layup and planned to bag the tank half layup is to make sure the fabric will stay down on the edges. My first attempt at tanks I had a hard time getting the fabric to stay flat on the edges especially over the curved corners. I used 3.1 oz satin weave 120 style on this plug and it was softer and easier to keep down. I was concerned the 6 oz plain weave edges would not stay down.

Thanks for the help,
Gary
Old Yesterday, 04:46 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thomas, this is exactly the process I want to use. This is how Paul A. makes his foamie conversion tanks. He sent me photos of his process and I was trying to follow it. Thats why I'm trying to make the plug smooth with proper draft angles so I can pull the tank half off with out damage to the plug or part.

I dont know what "flash breaker tape" is. I was going to try to use some electrical tape, automotive fine line masking tape, or just clear packing tape. Does the flash tape have any stretch to cover the small gap from the first layup to the plug on the second layup?

Also the reason I vacuumed bagged the plug layup and planned to bag the tank half layup is to make sure the fabric will stay down on the edges. My first attempt at tanks I had a hard time getting the fabric to stay flat on the edges especially over the curved corners. I used 3.1 oz satin weave 120 style on this plug and it was softer and easier to keep down. I was concerned the 6 oz plain weave edges would not stay down.

Thanks for the help,
Gary

Gary,
the 3733 style 6oz is very easy to work with. Its a slightly looser weave, but it conforms over curves extremely well.

one thing you can try to help keep things down, is to apply the first layer of glass and then leave it to cure until it has gone “green”, basically it’ll be sticky to the point you can transfer your fingerprint to the resin, but not have the resin transfer to your finger.

the flash breaker tape is a transparent green looking packing tape, but its much more durable. Packing tape would honestly work just as well. The flash breaker tape doesnt have much stretch, if any.
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Viper1GJ

Thomas,
Thanks, got some 3733 and flash tape ordered today. Will not get much done next week due to family vacation. Hopefully stuff will arrive next week and be ready to continue the following week.
Thanks again,
Gary