Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Old Roo soon to take to the skys again

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Old Roo soon to take to the skys again

Old 09-02-2018, 11:08 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Old Roo soon to take to the skys again

Today I was helping a club member to get his old Roo airborne again, he flew it with a 4 strk nitro engine many years ago, when he learned that I had a jet and was flying it, he then asked if we could get the Roo back in the air but this time with this Bahotech turbine that he bought at the local swap meet, that was some 4 months ago, today we met at the flying field to work out the bugs and it had a few, at the end a wire from the on/off switch broke and that was the end of the re-maiden, it didnt happened but we are very close now, may try again this Friday.

Last edited by CARS II; 09-02-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:28 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That brings back some of the greatest memories ever! My first turbine flight was on a kangaroo. It had this wire gear that I bent to hell and back learning to land it. Todd Witkoff pre- D/W helped me pull it out and put some Robart in it.

Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to hear about the success!

Best of luck to you guys,

Sean
Old 09-03-2018, 02:55 AM
erbroens

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This plane is amazing.. as a suggestion as this is a original Roo with the tall engine mount, adding a washer or two in the engine mount so the engine faces downward would help your friend a lot Carlos.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:57 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best jet I've had in my life. I just love it.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 09-03-2018, 06:08 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Default My Kangaroo

My first

My first jet was an early version with the foam wings. It had been crashed and discarded and a friend brought it to me. I repaired it and installed a P120. That jet was a lot of fun. I was extremely nervous before the maiden. The nerves went away as soon as I took off because it flew so good. Your friend is going to have a ball with it. Make sure he has at least 25 to 30% expo. I flew one for a friend without it and it was a handful.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:36 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

My first turbine jet was a Kangaroo as well. It was the original fiberclassics version with the built up fins, foam wings etc. Had to put the formers in yourself, actually build it all. I built mine with the fins angled in like a hot spot. It came out extremely light and flew amazingly with a RAM750F. That was in 1999/2000. In fact I called it the Kangaroo 2000 since I changed the fins haha. I don't think I ever changed the thrust angle of the turbine, maybe I had a washer under the back end. I never got into the kangaroo hop on landing, just made sure it was always nose high and no issues.
They are fantastic airplanes, way better trainers IMO than Boomers or today's trainers only because they fly solid but they are heavier still and fly more like a jet does. Prepares you more for future jets. Just my opinion of course.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:45 AM
CARS II

I had a feeling some of the long time jet flyers were going to enjoy this thread.

My Roo was also my first jet, very easy flying, had a Simjet 2300 on it, had a lot help from erbroens, thank you again yes! the washers on the back of the engine was one of the things I checked for, he added them.

Last edited by CARS II; 09-03-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:55 PM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

Default roo

Suggest starting with approximately 3/16" reflex (up elevator).....as with most delta wings, some reflex required.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:46 PM
CARS II

Totally agreed reo, I was thinking of that this morning, it came back to me about the reflex when I was looking at pictures of other Roos.

Thanks for the remainder.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:04 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Carlos! You are flying alot! Awesome!
Old 09-04-2018, 03:43 PM
CARS II

Dr:Cito, trying to stay in the game.

Are you coming to the AMOS jet meet? I will be there starting Friday.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:56 PM
CARS II

We try to get the Roo up today but, it was a no go, the previous bugs were cleared, the controls were adjusted and triple checked, the Elevons were given the reflex needed for the delta wing ( 3/16 up )

We got ready for the re maiden flight, I was ready to do it BUT, the darn engine didn't started, we try like 10 times to start it but nothing, no pop when we gave it the propane so, he went back home with it with the thought that the next time she will fly for sure, that maybe Mon or Tue.

On another note, I got to maiden my Phoenix PC 21 30cc, also was having issues but was able to do one flight today, the maiden flight.

I wanted a high wing loading, tricycle, low cost ( compared to jets ) prop airplane to keep my fingers warm in between my turbine flights to stay sharp and not loose the edge like I did a few years ago, still some work to get her flying crispy but I'm confident that she will do just fine

Last edited by CARS II; 09-08-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:25 AM
erbroens

Engine not starting on a Roo? thats truly old school!

My 20th century turbine jet troubleshooting list was this one:

1) Run out of air in the scuba tank.
2) Fried ECU caused by sparker from the mighty blue starting box.
3) Fried Receiver caused by that same [email protected]#$% sparker.
4) Ni-Cads run out of juice. (takes about 8 hours to charge them back)
5) The lubrification tank pressure line disconnected ruining the 2.000 dollars bearings.
6) Run out of propane.(somebody left the valve open, in the excitment of the NASA like complexity of the turbine start procedure)
7) Some rc friend you dont trust is in your same frequency, so is better to keep grounded that day your pride and joy jet plane.

Last edited by erbroens; 09-08-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:36 AM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Oh man that brings back memories. My buddy made me an electric starter wand for my RAM 750, would take 3 if us to start it, and routinely had hot starts.

I was flying it at a jet rally and had a lock out on landing approach and it flew away behind a tree line. My buddy told me to turn my transmitter on and off which I did and held slight up elevator for about 20 seconds until we saw it appear again and I actually got control back. For that miracle it won best flight at the big Apple Jet Rally in NY.

I miss her

Last edited by TUMBLER; 09-08-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:47 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Tumbler,
Watching your video really makes me miss mine too. What a great jet they were. Always liked it better than the Rookie for some reason. Maybe just a nostalgia thing I guess but they sure flew great.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:16 PM
CARS II

I remember my first landing, it was perfect, I kept it with a high alpha all the way down to touchdown, she touchdown so slow that I told myself then, oh I got this nothing but fun from then on.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:15 PM
CARS II

I got a text today, the problem was found, the propane solenoid is not opening, the turbine started right away when the solenoid valve was bypassed, I advised him to add a few small drops of oil to help it get unstuck.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:13 PM
CARS II

We are going to try to fly the re-maiden flight tomorrow Tues.

Will post results late afternoon.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:59 PM
awat65
My Feedback: (17)

Anybody has a picture of the coke bottle fuel tank installed in the Roo or able to tell how the coke bottle is supportedin the back of the bottle in the jet?.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:38 PM
erbroens

Miine has a "flower" shaped hole in the fuselage forner wich matches the pet bottle lobes and locks it. At the front there is a support wich clamps the thinner part of the bottle.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:56 AM
Daniel-J

How beautiful he is! I hope the flights will be successful
Old 02-24-2020, 05:10 AM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Many years bacl this was also my first jet. I got my turbine waiver with it. After a nasty crash at take off. Strip everything out of airftame. Throw it in the trash and left the field. Sent my 1st Gen P-80 to jetcat and got a boomerang xl. The truth is than one of my friend pick it up from the trash and told me " I am going to repair it and keep it" The jet was so damage that I laugh and left. Last week I went to my old flying field to say hi and let everybody know that I coming back to the hobby. To my surprise the kangaroo was re-borne and here is s pic of it now. Guess what I'm bringing back with me.

Last edited by avicom; 02-24-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:35 PM
CARS II

Welcome back to the jets, could you take a picture or two of the new engine mount from the inside, I like to see how it is anchored to the fuse, I'm planing to cut the original mount on my Roo, I want to build a new one like the one on your Roo also, a what angle is the engine going to be mount?

Tks.

Last edited by CARS II; 02-24-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:08 PM
avicom

Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
Welcome back to the jets, could you take a picture or two of the new engine mount from the inside, I like to see how it is anchored to the fuse, I'm planing to cut the original mount on my Roo? I want to build a new one like the one on your Roo also, a what angle is the engine going to be mount?

Tks.
The Roo still in PR. As soon I get it o the States I can check on that. As for the angle I can tell you in advance that my friend told me that he set the mount at 0 deg. Again I will double check to make sure. I'm looking for old threads with the roo engine mount modification. If I remember correctly lowering the engine does not need to angle the turbine.

vr
Alejandro
Old 02-24-2020, 05:22 PM
avicom

Check this thread.

kangaroo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.