Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Swiwin turbine repairs

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Swiwin turbine repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 01:40 PM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swiwin turbine repairs

Anyone had a swiwin turbine repaired? My 60b now smokes like I have a smoke system at low to 70% throttle. It only has 3 hours fun time and is 1month out of the 1 year warranty. I was told that it has an internal fuel leak and the fuel is not burning which causes the smoke (running diesel). Just thought I would see who repaired your turbine and if you were happy with the service.

Video

Last edited by geneh-RCU; 09-15-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:47 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you tried contacting Andy at CRX Turbines in NY?
Service - SW-Jets
Old 09-15-2018, 02:09 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Lol I hope you’re neighbors like you. 😆
Old 09-15-2018, 02:18 PM
geneh-RCU

Smile

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
Lol I hope you’re neighbors like you. 😆
They were all at work. I am retired
Old 09-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t think CRX is doing anything anymore.
contact Andy Davis at www.rcjetwerx.com.
He does not do repairs but is a dealer and will be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:00 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

I had an email from Andy a couple of weeks ago and I got the impression he is doing repairs to engines he sells.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:56 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by geneh-RCU
They were all at work. I am retired
lol a glorious feeling isn’t it? If only it smoked a light black it would look great in a Phantom!
Old 09-15-2018, 05:10 PM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring it to Houston our mosquitos are bad now!
Old 09-16-2018, 11:03 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

call andy at crx.
scott
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM
geneh-RCU

I talked to Terry at swiwinturbines.com. He said that people had some problems running Diesel fuel and to try Kerosene or Jet A. From day 1 I had had idle problems where the idle would go down as far as 39000 rpm when it should be at 50,000. I ran some Kerosene today and not only did the smoke problem go away the Idle problem did as well. It now holds a reliable 50,000 rpm. It's good to know that my turbine is just fine but just does not like the diesel.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:44 PM
arizcowboy
My Feedback: (14)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad was able to help . Terry
Old 10-31-2018, 09:47 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reply to thread on swiwin

Where in the heck did this come from? We work on all Swiwins ... Anyone needing service can call me. I have been a factory stocked Swiwin service center since Swiwin was released. Anyone who knows me, knows they can call me anytime of day or eve, weekends etc. 716-946-7493. www.crxturbines.com or www.swiwinusa.com

We balance and service all Swiwin engines. We also balance many other brands of engines.

Andy Fioretti
President CRX Turbines

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
I don’t think CRX is doing anything anymore.
contact Andy Davis at www.rcjetwerx.com.
He does not do repairs but is a dealer and will be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 10-31-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:20 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW

My SW 60 runs fine with diesel and no smoking up the block either.

I had to have a fully charged 3s motor battery that kept voltage around 12 volts and it ran and restarted etc with diesel just fine.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:31 PM
geneh-RCU

It may be that the quality of the diesel is not the same in all places. Mine ran ok for about 15 tanks but I did have to set the minimum rpm to 3600 or it would shut down from going below minimum setting. After 15 tanks it started smoking when below 3/4 throttle and even looked like I had a smoke system when in the air. I switched to kerosene with 5% oil and have about 12 flights and it runs great and no smoke at all.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:26 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Diesel absolutely varies from region to region. It tends to run hotter. I have gotten periodic calls about this and I have come to the conclusion that each situation needs to be looked at on a case by case. If anyone is having issues, I can take a look at your configuration and offer some input. Please make a note of the firmware revision in the "other" menu as configuration parameters may differ between firmware levels.

For anyone having running issues they believe related to fuel type, I generally start with a look at pump start voltage. This a balancing act. It is a good idea to put the motor in a test stand versus running it in a plane. It can be difficult to figure out the right config without worrying about burning the tail feathers of your plane. Remove the fuel line and initiate a start, then observe the flow of fuel. You want nothing more than a drip… drip… drip every second or so. The voltage is not a set value. It depends on the actual pump. The magic value might be .4 or maybe .5 or maybe .34. The degree of change is in .02 volt increments. Be patient.

Next thing to adjust if needed is the percentage ramp. If you have a motor that is ramping too quick with fire out the tail, I back the % ramp to 60 right off the bat. 60% will give a much longer and milder start.

Ramp Start – Back this down to 1 if needed. This controls the step value when the ecu increases flow to the pump.

Gas Valve – This controls the flow to the plug at start. You can lower this to 15 if needed but this might cause long preheat times. Raising this will increase fuel to the plug and thus lower the time needed to preheat the engine. Once the engine reaches 120 degrees the engine goes to fuel ramp. My suggestion when making any adjustments, make a single adjustment and test then make another and test. Always write down the values before you start or take pics so you have a reference to go back to if needed.

If needed contact me directly.

Andy

Originally Posted by geneh-RCU
It may be that the quality of the diesel is not the same in all places. Mine ran ok for about 15 tanks but I did have to set the minimum rpm to 3600 or it would shut down from going below minimum setting. After 15 tanks it started smoking when below 3/4 throttle and even looked like I had a smoke system when in the air. I switched to kerosene with 5% oil and have about 12 flights and it runs great and no smoke at all.
Attached Files

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 11-02-2018 at 04:03 AM.