Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Storing airplanes over winter in a trailer

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Storing airplanes over winter in a trailer

Old 09-18-2018, 08:13 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Storing airplanes over winter in a trailer

How many of you store your airplanes in a trailer over winter? My shop during the winter becomes a haven for rats.... It's an old barn that doesn't seal well. A few winters ago the rats made nests in all my jets, it took forever to clean them out and replace lines etc. My trailer is a 26' enclosed trailer that seals way better than my shop does. I'm thinking about keeping all my airplanes in there this winter. My concern is humidity. We never get that cold here, -5C (23F) is a really cold winter day/night, but it rains non stop in the winter.
My shop isn't really heated where the airplanes are either but it is warmer than the trailer would be and a bigger space, stays drier feeling in there.
I'm heading to princeton this weekend and my trailer will be loaded, wondering if it's an ok idea to leave everything in there over the winter. I'd hate to open it in spring and find 10 jets with damage to ECU's or receivers....
Old 09-18-2018, 08:24 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have over the last several yeara without problem. Shop is too small for my squadron
Old 09-18-2018, 09:37 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix View Post
How many of you store your airplanes in a trailer over winter? My shop during the winter becomes a haven for rats.... It's an old barn that doesn't seal well. A few winters ago the rats made nests in all my jets, it took forever to clean them out and replace lines etc. My trailer is a 26' enclosed trailer that seals way better than my shop does. I'm thinking about keeping all my airplanes in there this winter. My concern is humidity. We never get that cold here, -5C (23F) is a really cold winter day/night, but it rains non stop in the winter.
My shop isn't really heated where the airplanes are either but it is warmer than the trailer would be and a bigger space, stays drier feeling in there.
I'm heading to princeton this weekend and my trailer will be loaded, wondering if it's an ok idea to leave everything in there over the winter. I'd hate to open it in spring and find 10 jets with damage to ECU's or receivers....
hey amigo, what about a short term climate controlled rental unit for 6 months? Or road trip it to Texas ad Ill fly your stuff for you. ;-) Im prolly one of 5 guys that can start an AMT ....Old Skooolll style baaahhaaa
Old 09-18-2018, 10:02 AM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by yeahbaby View Post

hey amigo, what about a short term climate controlled rental unit for 6 months? Or road trip it to Texas ad Ill fly your stuff for you. ;-) Im prolly one of 5 guys that can start an AMT ....Old Skooolll style baaahhaaa

Haha the road trip to Texas would be cheaper! Small storage units that are climate controlled here average $250 per month.... BC doesn't stand for British Columbia anymore. It stands for Bankrupt Citizens!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Len Todd

Wire connections can corrode if left in a humid environment, especially where temperatures change significantly. I have lost a laptop that was left in the car in the winter. Brought it in and turned it on several minutes later. Because of the temp change, moisture built up from condensation and did it in.

If I left the planes in a trailer for the winter with your conditions, I personally would put in a dehumidifier with a discharge to the outside and heater in the trailer. However, I know one guy that leaves them in the trailer all winter w/o heating and controlling the temp. I do not recall seeing any of his crashing. But then again, I don't fly with him very often and he isn't flying jets.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:48 PM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by Len Todd View Post
Wire connections can corrode if left in a humid environment, especially where temperatures change significantly. I have lost a laptop that was left in the car in the winter. Brought it in and turned it on several minutes later. Because of the temp change, moisture built up from condensation and did it in.

If I left the planes in a trailer for the winter with your conditions, I personally would put in a dehumidifier with a discharge to the outside and heater in the trailer. However, I know one guy that leaves them in the trailer all winter w/o heating and controlling the temp. I do not recall seeing any of his crashing. But then again, I don't fly with him very often and he isn't flying jets.
I think if I get a couple of those RV moisture removers I might be ok as far as the humidity goes. Temp changes in the winter here aren't that dramatic so that isn't a huge concern. I thought about a dehumidifier but if it does drop below freezing that would be an issue. Keeping a heater going in there is expensive not to mention risky IMO. Maybe a solar powered fan to keep the air moving would help keep it drier as well though and that is pretty easy to accomplish.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:00 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

You can also get bulk containers of silica gel beads and make some desiccant packs. You can reuse silica, all you have to do is put them in an oven on low temp for a while. We use them down here in the deep south to keep moisture out of large electrical panels when they're in storage. Here are some on Amazon that change color to tell you when they need to be regenerated.

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Premiu...CHGRHY0MT3Y4N8
Old 09-20-2018, 07:59 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

You do not need a big heater, It is amazing just how much a 100 watt light bulb will do. The key is to make sure that the inside of the trailer is never colder than it is out side. So you only need a couple of degrees of heating. You can buy dehumidifiers that can handle the cold, they cost a bit more but are a whole lot cheaper than most any one item in the trailer . Dehumidifiers also put out enough heat to keep things happy. If all you have is a standard dehumidifier that does not like cold, you can buy an inline thermostat to turn it off if the temp falls below what it can handle. You may still need to add a thermostat for the days when it is below 40F (4.4C) inside of the trailer.

The trailer should stay drier than a drafty old barn. it is amazing just how much moisture comes up out of the floor. the trailer will not have this issue, so once it is dried out it should not pick up much more moisture.

You might be surprised at the temp swings inside of the trailer with the sun shining on it during the day vs the temps at night. It is the temp swings that will cause condensation.