Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The Best Stripper Ever!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The Best Stripper Ever!

Old 10-05-2018, 04:24 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Best Stripper Ever!

Now that I have your attention...

I have acquired a very used looking Boomerang Elan desperately in need of a full makeover. It is my intention to strip every bit of paint and covering off of it and start from scratch.

Has anyone out there used a paint stripper (ah-ha) that would be relatively effective, won't damage the structure of the airplane (fiberglass I believe, with the booms being something else (plastic maybe)), and wont necessarily destroy mother earth? I have used paint strippers in the past on household projects, but i'm not sure if they are "fuselage safe". I can always test it on a small area but figured I would draw from the collective wisdom of the experts out there.

I am open to any and all suggestions on how to get this thing naked without two months of sanding.

Thank you
Anthony
Old 10-06-2018, 07:33 AM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

I redid a boomerang xl and unless it’s way different the booms are fiberglass. Honestly you’re best bet is good old fashioned sandpaper.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:51 AM
smiller

Klean-Strip makes a stripper for Fiberglass {marine formula} Called "Aircraft fiberglass paint remover" It is water clean up. I used it to strip a Skymaster Dragon with good results. Got it from a local Auto paint shop.

Scott
Old 10-06-2018, 08:23 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread may help you.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ir-thread.html
Old 10-06-2018, 08:41 AM
AAbdu

Thank you Scott.

Carlos,
I saw that thread, I have been using the sandpaper and exacto blade scraping technique they did in the video. It works but is incredibly labor intensive!
Old 10-06-2018, 09:07 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

I like citristrip
Old 10-06-2018, 10:56 AM
AAbdu

I was just looking at citristrip at home depot, I was not convinced it was safe for fiberglass. I may be wrong on that.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:49 AM
jetflyr

Originally Posted by AAbdu View Post
I was just looking at citristrip at home depot, I was not convinced it was safe for fiberglass. I may be wrong on that.
I've used it successfully on Fiberglass. Smells good in the house too :-)
Greg
Old 10-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Citrastrip works very good. On red however, you may have to put some on, scrap and then put more on depending on the quality of the paint. I stripped some PPG this way and the red took several coats of the Citrastrip.

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80, K=140, K-180
Owner.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:46 PM
AAbdu

On the label it says to wait 4 to 24 hours, how long do you gents generally leave it on?
Old 10-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by AAbdu View Post
On the label it says to wait 4 to 24 hours, how long do you gents generally leave it on?
I Have used it on fiber glass with no issues. Again it depends on the quality of the paint. PPG Paint only took about 20 to 30 minutes to react and bubble up. I stripped a FeiBo F-15 and it only took about 10 to 15 minutes. The Feibo paint did not bubble, it turned into a liquid almost. I had one jet that had some type of an epoxy paint on one section and the citrastrip would not touch it, even after 24 hours and several coats applied. It does make a mess so I put down old news paper then scrapped the paint off with the yellow Bondo squeegee.
Here is a thread I did some years ago of my F-86. You can see it the one pic the paint before stripping then in the next post some of the primer started for the repaint. I know it does not harm fiber glass and I believe it states that on the bottle. I have always used the bottle that has the gel to brush on. There is a spray version but I do not know how well it works.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...h-rebuild.html

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80, K=140, K-180
Owner.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:07 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Used citristrip on the Viperjet I just repainted, it took automotive urethane off, no problem, but as stated it will not touch epoxy primer. Make sure to put on thick and add more as needed to keep wet. It took longer and more coats on some places than others, but it did work. Some places needed to sit over night, but eventually it all came off.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:52 AM
AAbdu

If I read the replies correctly, just like anything, try the citristrip (it does say on the label don't use on fiberglass) but be careful!

I tried sanding and scraping it off but the previous owner rolled the paint on so thick I barely made a dent. Any sand paper capable of sanding through the thick runs will sand through my tail booms. I am trying to avoid a bunch of thin spots.

Last edited by AAbdu; 10-07-2018 at 09:47 AM.