Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/7 Scale Blackburn Buccaneer All Composite Scratch Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/7 Scale Blackburn Buccaneer All Composite Scratch Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 07:42 AM
MiragePilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul, I'm really enjoying this thread and watching your amazing progress. I have a huge soft spot for the Buccaneer...I grew up watching the SAAF S Mk 50 Buccaneers fly in South Africa!!
Old 01-14-2019, 12:26 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Peter,

Thanks - I hope Tuscon is treating you well.

Regards,

Paul
Old 01-14-2019, 12:36 PM
JSF-TC

Well, one step back. I started cutting the weapon bay foam, using up the last remaining sheets that I bought 6 months ago to build the fuselage from. I did not have enough, so went to Lowes to buy another sheet. When I stacked up the parts from the 'old' foam sheet, it was noticeably taller than the same parts cut from the new sheet.

It turns out that there is a significant difference in sheet thickness for nominally the same 3/4" sheet, about 1.3mm thinner, probably a different batch, which would have resulted in the weapon bay plug being nearly 2 inches too short. I need to re-slice the CAD model and come up with new ply formers based on the new foam thickness, and probably make new 3D printed end pieces too.

Paul
Old 01-14-2019, 01:33 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Paul

I wonder if its a function of where the sheet was within the shipping carrier, the ones on the bottom may be thinner than the ones on the top? Looks like this whole airplane thing is working out for you!
Old 01-14-2019, 07:07 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

As Pat alluded, could you bring your calipers to Lowe’s and check against other foam boards in the stack?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:28 PM
JSF-TC

I guess I could, but it only took me less than 2 hours to re-CAD the templates and cut them out, so I am back up to where I was last night. The new aft section is printing on the 3D printer right now and will be done in a couple of hours. Hopefully I am now done with ply and foam cutting for this project. I just have to assemble and sand the plug.

Paul
Old 01-14-2019, 08:37 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

We need better smilies.

(insert thumbs up here)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:59 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Paul has an amazing attitude of, can do will do. I think I might have drop kicked the whole thing before now!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:42 PM
John Tancock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is very impressive and a great thread!������
Old 01-16-2019, 06:46 AM
JSF-TC

Thanks guys for the comments. I got really frustrated very early on when I couldn't get the polyester-based mold making approach to work. Switched to an epoxy-based workflow and all was fine. Got close to giving up at that point, but I knew it had to be possible.

Iterating on a design in CAD doesn't seem to be anywhere near as frustrating as the traditional cut & try/ scrap and repeat method in the workshop. I have spent countless hours in front of the computer getting the design to where I'm reasonably happy with it to then commit to actual part manufacture.

I just hope I don't burn-out on this before it is done!
Old 01-16-2019, 06:50 AM
JSF-TC

Prior to assembling the weapon bay ply/ foam, and as a lesson learned from assembling the same for the fuselage plug, I made a small tool to align the individual pieces to ensure that they were all square and not mis-aligned, which would result in a deformed plug.

Complete weapon bay/ fuel tank plug ply and foam bonded together, ready for foam sanding and profiling.

Paul
Old 01-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

Paul

You have to stick with it, if RCU ran an award for project-thread of the year you would win! There are people with a professional modelling background and workshop access that produce projects from scratch, but you are a real aeromodeller. The RC modelling community is rooting for you

Dave
Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 AM
JSF-TC

No pressure then!!! ;-)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Dave Wilshere

You are coasting down hill...
Old 01-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Paul

You have to stick with it, if RCU ran an award for project-thread of the year you would win! There are people with a professional modelling background and workshop access that produce projects from scratch, but you are a real aeromodeller. The RC modelling community is rooting for you

Dave
Ditto what a Dave said. I am in awe of what you are doing. Just simply awesome.
Gary
Old 01-17-2019, 06:08 PM
JSF-TC

To trim the foam on the concave, inner surface, rather than sand it, I decided the easiest way would be to hot-wire cut it, as it was a straight cut forward/ aft, so I built a crude tension-bow hot wire cutter, using some 0.025" stainless locking wire as the cutter. I powered it using my battery charger which has a brushed motor drive function. It took about 12V/ 5A to get a nice clean cut. Running the hot wire over the ply templates gave a great finished surface much quicker than trying to sand it down. Took less than an hour to build the cutter and trim the plug.

Sanding the outer surface was a bear, seemed much tougher than when I did the fuselage. Must be something about this batch of blue foam. It ate up the 80grit paper on the power sander. After a tough couple of hours making piles of blue dust, I have finally got a finished plug, ready for minor filling then glassing.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:28 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Paul,
are you spraying the duratec primer over traditional 2k automotive primer? I like the results your getting with the duratec and am tempted to break my cardinal rule or refusing to work with a polyester based product to try it.

Also, what are you using to spray it, a cup gun or???

thanks,
thomas
Old 01-17-2019, 06:51 PM
JSF-TC

Thomas,

Yes, I'm using Advantage 302 2k Primer initially, but I have continued to question exactly why - it isn't much cheaper than Duratec, and Duratec builds up much quicker.

I think the main benefit is to get a neutral, even surface to see any contour defects and to fill them before using the Duratec.

For most parts I think you could just use the Duratec and it sands beautifully. I have skipped the 2k primer on the 3D printed parts with good results.

I use a simple 4oz cup gun from Harbor Freight that I have used for years. Sprays at about 60-80psi and I thin it 20% with the Duratec thinner and get virtually no orange peel, and it still builds up with minimal risk of running.

Paul
Old 01-18-2019, 08:21 AM
invertmast

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
Thomas,

Yes, I'm using Advantage 302 2k Primer initially, but I have continued to question exactly why - it isn't much cheaper than Duratec, and Duratec builds up much quicker.

I think the main benefit is to get a neutral, even surface to see any contour defects and to fill them before using the Duratec.

For most parts I think you could just use the Duratec and it sands beautifully. I have skipped the 2k primer on the 3D printed parts with good results.

I use a simple 4oz cup gun from Harbor Freight that I have used for years. Sprays at about 60-80psi and I thin it 20% with the Duratec thinner and get virtually no orange peel, and it still builds up with minimal risk of running.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

I have been using Evercoat Dura-Build primer that i either roll or brush on depending on the surface finish. I’ve got a gallon of that, so i’ll probly just use it and cap off the body filler with the duratec like you have been doing.

Im debating on picking up a 100w Co2 laser cutter and have been wondering if it would be possible to turn down the power low enough to engrave the surface detail of the wings/tail with that...
Old 01-18-2019, 08:33 AM
JSF-TC

Originally Posted by invertmast

Im debating on picking up a 100w Co2 laser cutter and have been wondering if it would be possible to turn down the power low enough to engrave the surface detail of the wings/tail with that...
Now, that sounds like a great idea, using the laser to engrave surface detail. The only problem I see is that it would only work on relatively flat surfaces, even the top of the wing may have too much height variation in it to keep the laser in focus.

Don't know how the Duratec would respond to the laser. I might try on a scrap piece and let you know.

I have used the laser to cut surface detail stencils for either doing raised detail with Duratec, or as a scribing guide.

Paul
Old 01-18-2019, 08:36 AM
JSF-TC

10% power on my 50W cutter is low enough to engrave the blue foam sheets, especially if you keep the speed up. From what I've heard elsewhere, Duratec doesn't respond to the hot tube in a soldering iron rivet method, so I don't think low power settings would be a concern, more about getting enough power without doing damage.

Paul
Old 01-18-2019, 03:10 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
10% power on my 50W cutter is low enough to engrave the blue foam sheets, especially if you keep the speed up. From what I've heard elsewhere, Duratec doesn't respond to the hot tube in a soldering iron rivet method, so I don't think low power settings would be a concern, more about getting enough power without doing damage.

Paul

if you try it, i would be interested in the results. I hadnt thought of the focus issue.... my T38 wings are pretty flat, so it would probly work fine for them.

If the duratec doesnt respond well, maybe a coat of 2k auto primer over the top of the duratec may work?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:19 AM
jetspud

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jXLBhBz_2tE

Old 01-22-2019, 06:22 AM
JSF-TC

Finished the plugs for the speedbrake drag beam panels. Added the raised rivets per the full size using my stencil method.

A slight change to my process, I now laser cut the stencil from a double layer of self-adhesive stencil paper. Once the Duratec is cured I sand it down level with the stencil. While sanding the top layer of the stencil gets sanded too, so this is where the top layer comes into its own as it acts to protect the bottom layer. Once sanded, I peel off the top layer of stencil, leaving a clean bottom layer. A very light sand with 600 grit levels out the rivets to the bottom layer which can then be removed. With only one layer, you can thin the detail too much during sanding.

Photo of the full-scale for comparison. Didn't quite get the exact rivet counts, so don't be too critical...........

Paul
Old 01-22-2019, 04:09 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

The little twinkling lights are not twinkling Clark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.