Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Saved by my Smart-Fly

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Saved by my Smart-Fly

Old 10-27-2018, 07:34 AM
  #1  
EladFish
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saved by my Smart-Fly

As I'm thinking of which power distribution to choose for my new Mephisto that i'm building, I was thinking - I never had a power issue for so many years... Isn't that an overkill. Well, yesterday I got a reminder why we need one.
This one is my old first jet that I bought used. My new one is currently in for a service, I've been back to flying this old one for about a month now.

The previous owner built it pretty good, and when I got it, I though i did a good job checking everything. I replaced some wires, and all fuel lines, clunk, and placed a smart-fly competition 12 in it. Apparently I missed the front wheel steering servo wire that got caught in the retract and shorted.
I was lucky to have that Smart-Fly, as it saved me on this flight. I believe it allowed me to fly like this for an entire flight (I landed and found out that I don't have steering).

Anyway, lesson learned . As for my next plane's power distribution? I'm not sure. I tend to go with powerbox, cause that's what everyone fly with. If I had the jeti, I would have telemetry that might have warned me about the shorted servo... so maybe that's even better... still unsure.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:27 AM
  #2  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 25,192
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

I find it hard to fathom that a shorted servo wire wouldn't just act like a burnt fuse and open up in a second or two and be done with it.

Certainly not ideal but I can't see it being fatal.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:53 AM
  #3  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,576
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
I find it hard to fathom that a shorted servo wire wouldn't just act like a burnt fuse and open up in a second or two and be done with it.

Certainly not ideal but I can't see it being fatal.
Fuses are made with special filaments designed to blow, servos are not. I've had similar problems with old servos shorting out and sucking down the battery voltage.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:02 AM
  #4  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 25,192
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

My read on that was a pinched servo wire that shorted, not the servo itself
Old 10-27-2018, 09:50 AM
  #5  
EladFish
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I wish I could upload some pictures... but the forum doesn't allow that until I have 10 posts. Is there any other way to upload photos?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:52 AM
  #6  
EladFish
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

photos.app.goo.gl/dSzGMwzbmzqYYYFY6
Old 10-27-2018, 10:56 AM
  #7  
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)
 
BarracudaHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 25,192
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

Wow, thats a right mess!
Old 10-27-2018, 01:42 PM
  #8  
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)
 
gunradd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springhill, FL
Posts: 3,424
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

I had a pipe fail and burn the rudder servo wires and cause a short... no power safe on this plane just old school wires... lost reception and turbine shut down and somehow I regained control and did a perfect deadstick on the runway. Was a fun flight.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:13 PM
  #9  
TheFishLA
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 69
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
I had a pipe fail and burn the rudder servo wires and cause a short... no power safe on this plane just old school wires... lost reception and turbine shut down and somehow I regained control and did a perfect deadstick on the runway. Was a fun flight.
Wow.. that's crazy. Good job. Should have filmed that.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:01 PM
  #10  
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)
 
Bob_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bluegrass State of Mind
Posts: 4,470
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by EladFish View Post
As I'm thinking of which power distribution to choose for my new Mephisto that i'm building, I was thinking - I never had a power issue for so many years... Isn't that an overkill. Well, yesterday I got a reminder why we need one.
This one is my old first jet that I bought used. My new one is currently in for a service, I've been back to flying this old one for about a month now.

The previous owner built it pretty good, and when I got it, I though i did a good job checking everything. I replaced some wires, and all fuel lines, clunk, and placed a smart-fly competition 12 in it. Apparently I missed the front wheel steering servo wire that got caught in the retract and shorted.
I was lucky to have that Smart-Fly, as it saved me on this flight. I believe it allowed me to fly like this for an entire flight (I landed and found out that I don't have steering).

Anyway, lesson learned . As for my next plane's power distribution? I'm not sure. I tend to go with powerbox, cause that's what everyone fly with. If I had the jeti, I would have telemetry that might have warned me about the shorted servo... so maybe that's even better... still unsure.

If you were using jeti with a central box the short would have made the poly fuse open protecting the system. And you would have had an alarm sound on your Tx if set.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 AM
  #11  
EladFish
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
If you were using jeti with a central box the short would have made the poly fuse open protecting the system. And you would have had an alarm sound on your Tx if set.
True. It's a huge reason to switch. But it's not going to be easy to switch receivers in all my planes. I think that my next big plane will have the Jeti central box since it can work with my current futaba Sbus as well. When the time is right, I'll buy the Jeti radio and have telemetry.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.