Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Saved by my Smart-Fly

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Saved by my Smart-Fly

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 07:34 AM
EladFish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saved by my Smart-Fly

As I'm thinking of which power distribution to choose for my new Mephisto that i'm building, I was thinking - I never had a power issue for so many years... Isn't that an overkill. Well, yesterday I got a reminder why we need one.
This one is my old first jet that I bought used. My new one is currently in for a service, I've been back to flying this old one for about a month now.

The previous owner built it pretty good, and when I got it, I though i did a good job checking everything. I replaced some wires, and all fuel lines, clunk, and placed a smart-fly competition 12 in it. Apparently I missed the front wheel steering servo wire that got caught in the retract and shorted.
I was lucky to have that Smart-Fly, as it saved me on this flight. I believe it allowed me to fly like this for an entire flight (I landed and found out that I don't have steering).

Anyway, lesson learned . As for my next plane's power distribution? I'm not sure. I tend to go with powerbox, cause that's what everyone fly with. If I had the jeti, I would have telemetry that might have warned me about the shorted servo... so maybe that's even better... still unsure.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:27 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I find it hard to fathom that a shorted servo wire wouldn't just act like a burnt fuse and open up in a second or two and be done with it.

Certainly not ideal but I can't see it being fatal.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:53 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I find it hard to fathom that a shorted servo wire wouldn't just act like a burnt fuse and open up in a second or two and be done with it.

Certainly not ideal but I can't see it being fatal.
Fuses are made with special filaments designed to blow, servos are not. I've had similar problems with old servos shorting out and sucking down the battery voltage.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:02 AM
BarracudaHockey

My read on that was a pinched servo wire that shorted, not the servo itself
Old 10-27-2018, 09:50 AM
EladFish

I wish I could upload some pictures... but the forum doesn't allow that until I have 10 posts. Is there any other way to upload photos?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:52 AM
EladFish

photos.app.goo.gl/dSzGMwzbmzqYYYFY6
Old 10-27-2018, 10:56 AM
BarracudaHockey

Wow, thats a right mess!
Old 10-27-2018, 01:42 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a pipe fail and burn the rudder servo wires and cause a short... no power safe on this plane just old school wires... lost reception and turbine shut down and somehow I regained control and did a perfect deadstick on the runway. Was a fun flight.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:13 PM
TheFishLA

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
I had a pipe fail and burn the rudder servo wires and cause a short... no power safe on this plane just old school wires... lost reception and turbine shut down and somehow I regained control and did a perfect deadstick on the runway. Was a fun flight.
Wow.. that's crazy. Good job. Should have filmed that.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:01 PM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by EladFish
As I'm thinking of which power distribution to choose for my new Mephisto that i'm building, I was thinking - I never had a power issue for so many years... Isn't that an overkill. Well, yesterday I got a reminder why we need one.
This one is my old first jet that I bought used. My new one is currently in for a service, I've been back to flying this old one for about a month now.

The previous owner built it pretty good, and when I got it, I though i did a good job checking everything. I replaced some wires, and all fuel lines, clunk, and placed a smart-fly competition 12 in it. Apparently I missed the front wheel steering servo wire that got caught in the retract and shorted.
I was lucky to have that Smart-Fly, as it saved me on this flight. I believe it allowed me to fly like this for an entire flight (I landed and found out that I don't have steering).

Anyway, lesson learned . As for my next plane's power distribution? I'm not sure. I tend to go with powerbox, cause that's what everyone fly with. If I had the jeti, I would have telemetry that might have warned me about the shorted servo... so maybe that's even better... still unsure.

If you were using jeti with a central box the short would have made the poly fuse open protecting the system. And you would have had an alarm sound on your Tx if set.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 AM
EladFish

Originally Posted by Bob_B
If you were using jeti with a central box the short would have made the poly fuse open protecting the system. And you would have had an alarm sound on your Tx if set.
True. It's a huge reason to switch. But it's not going to be easy to switch receivers in all my planes. I think that my next big plane will have the Jeti central box since it can work with my current futaba Sbus as well. When the time is right, I'll buy the Jeti radio and have telemetry.