Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine waiver help-DFW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine waiver help-DFW

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 01:10 PM
ZachU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine waiver help-DFW

Hello everyone!
I have just ordered my new turbine and need to get started with someone on getting my turbine waiver. I'm new to flying turbines but not new to the hobby as I have been flying for 26 years. I fly 90mm edf jets currently along with a 50CC Extra 300. I'm looking for someone who is willing to evaluate my setup once its built and help me learn how to fly turbine jets. My jet will be a Mini T1, King Tech k85G2, Graupner MZ-32 with a GR-24PRO, and dual receiver batteries. I'm aware that this may not be the best jet to start with but the order has already been placed. If anyone local to Dallas/Fort Worth is willing to help I would greatly appreciate it. I'm an A&P mechanic and pilot with jet time in real Citations but have never had the opportunity to fly RC turbines. My jet will not be here until the middle of January so I have some time to get started learning. I am willing to pay for someone to help also.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 11-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

You got the right idea. Link up with the local jet guys and they will help you.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:25 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Zach,

Where in the DFW metroplex are you?

The Thunderbirds club in SW Fort Worth has a good group of turbine pilots. PM me if interested.

Paul
Old 11-04-2018, 10:01 PM
ZachU

I'm in the Benbrook area and am a member of the Thunderbirds. I need to make it to a meeting but work has had me traveling a lot lately.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:30 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Lets go fly!

Paul
Old 11-05-2018, 07:20 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Zach, I can personally vouch for Paul he is a great guy a great turbine pilot and a great Builder and if he's willing to help, it will benefit you greatly,,
Old 11-05-2018, 08:55 AM
ZachU

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by ZachU; 11-05-2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Change
Old 11-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachU
Hello everyone!
I have just ordered my new turbine and need to get started with someone on getting my turbine waiver. I'm new to flying turbines but not new to the hobby as I have been flying for 26 years. I fly 90mm edf jets currently along with a 50CC Extra 300. I'm looking for someone who is willing to evaluate my setup once its built and help me learn how to fly turbine jets. My jet will be a Mini T1, King Tech k85G2, Graupner MZ-32 with a GR-24PRO, and dual receiver batteries. I'm aware that this may not be the best jet to start with but the order has already been placed. If anyone local to Dallas/Fort Worth is willing to help I would greatly appreciate it. I'm an A&P mechanic and pilot with jet time in real Citations but have never had the opportunity to fly RC turbines. My jet will not be here until the middle of January so I have some time to get started learning. I am willing to pay for someone to help also.

Thanks,
Zach
That is a great jet to start with.

And definitely go through this thread a few times before you get started. A lot of great advise and tips...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...e-mini-t1.html

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 11-05-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd think the T-one would be a great jet to start with. Sounds like you are on your way!! Welcome to the club!

Your wallet and sig other won't be happy from now on!
Old 11-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Dawn Ellzey

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Zach,

My husband Steven and I also live in the metroplex and will be glad to help you.There are several Jet pilots that fly at Benbrook and are capable helping you.Besides Paul, Joe Tamez / JT’s Hobby Shop, Ron Schwarzkopf, and Buck Garza are a some of them. We normally fly in Waco because it is the best field in Texas and very jet friendly.The DFW, Austin and points between Jet Pilots often call a Waco flying day and meet therefor a day of flying. We hope you will start joining us.

Dawn Ellzey

Last edited by Dawn Ellzey; 11-05-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:49 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice can’t wait to fly with you. Also live in benbrook area 4 miles from T birds.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:03 PM
ZachU

I have to say that this is awesome to have so many of you reach out to me! I just got my first receiver for my new Graupner so I'm about to take a break from my grad school paper and go tinker for an hour or so. I look forward to meeting you guys and doing some flying soon. Thank you so much for your feedback! Please feel free to PM for my contact information as I would love to chat for advice but certainly don't want to be a nuisance to anyone.

Zach
Old 11-05-2018, 05:48 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Get in touch with dawn Elzey above. She’s in control of an email list regarding general get together down in Waco.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:02 PM
ZachU

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
Nice can’t wait to fly with you. Also live in benbrook area 4 miles from T birds.
I live in Markum ranch just on 2871 close to Westpark. Been flying at Thunderbird since I was a kid. I think I got my F-18 programmed on the Graupner tonight and will mount my receiver and get it sorted this week. If the field entrances aren't flooded I am going to try and fly this weekend!

Originally Posted by Dawn Ellzey
Zach,

My husband Steven and I also live in the metroplex and will be glad to help you.There are several Jet pilots that fly at Benbrook and are capable helping you.Besides Paul, Joe Tamez / JT’s Hobby Shop, Ron Schwarzkopf, and Buck Garza are a some of them. We normally fly in Waco because it is the best field in Texas and very jet friendly.The DFW, Austin and points between Jet Pilots often call a Waco flying day and meet therefor a day of flying. We hope you will start joining us.

Dawn Ellzey
I will definitely be up for this! I go to San Antonio all the time for work so I should be able to make this happen! Thank you for offering to include me, looking forward to meeting you guys!

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
That is a great jet to start with.

And definitely go through this thread a few times before you get started. A lot of great advise and tips...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...e-mini-t1.html
I started reading this thread after ordering the jet. Tons of great information on there and you will see towards the end where I was convinced to get a Mercury SRS. My wallet was ready to pull the trigger but after doing some reading and talking to some people I ultimately decided against it.

Zach
Old 11-06-2018, 10:14 AM
ZachU

The K85 came today from KingTech! My mind is mush from grad school this week but I'm going to attempt to get it set up for initial runs! New radio and turbine make for drinking out of a firehose for information. As long as I have been flying RC the turbine world makes me feel brand new to the hobby lol. I'm really excited about the shiny new ECU and the K85 is considerably smaller than my K100.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:03 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Those K85 G2's are a work of art.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:32 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Isn't that cool? it sure revives the hobby one more time.
I got an eye on one of those K85s.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:42 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

My name is Brian Gates. I have been flying turbines since 2001. I have not been flying much lately but hoping to get out to T-birds more in the coming months. I would be happy to assist . In no particular order the names listed below come to mind.
Ron Schwartzkoph
Paul Bloxam
Joey Tamez (Owner of JT Hobby)
Buck Garza
Don Top
David Rosado
Bruce Cree
Hubert Pickett
Antoine ......I am sorry but I either don't know his last name or have forgotten it.
Roger Spencer

and myself are all turbine waivered pilots who fly at T-birds. I am sure I have forgotten a few others. All are great guys, even Buck (well, he is a great guy....even if he does fly for Southwest). My apologies to those I have failed to mention. I am sure they would all be glad to help in any way they can, as would I. I live in Arlington, most of these guys live closer to Benbrook than I do. I am kind of surprised you don't already know some of these guys. Feel free to give me a call or text 817 874-3734 if I can be of any help. By he way I have a couple jets for sale. What is your phone number or email and last name ?

Last edited by turnnburn; 11-06-2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: phone numbers
Old 11-06-2018, 03:40 PM
ZachU

Originally Posted by turnnburn
My name is Brian Gates. I have been flying turbines since 2001. I have not been flying much lately but hoping to get out to T-birds more in the coming months. I would be happy to assist . In no particular order the names listed below come to mind.
Ron Schwartzkoph
Paul Bloxam
Joey Tamez (Owner of JT Hobby)
Buck Garza
Don Top
David Rosado
Bruce Cree
Hubert Pickett
Antoine ......I am sorry but I either don't know his last name or have forgotten it.
Roger Spencer

and myself are all turbine waivered pilots who fly at T-birds. I am sure I have forgotten a few others. All are great guys, even Buck (well, he is a great guy....even if he does fly for Southwest). My apologies to those I have failed to mention. I am sure they would all be glad to help in any way they can, as would I. I live in Arlington, most of these guys live closer to Benbrook than I do. I am kind of surprised you don't already know some of these guys. Feel free to give me a call or text 817 874-3734 if I can be of any help. By he way I have a couple jets for sale. What is your phone number or email and last name ?
Brian,

it is possible that I have seen some of these guys or met them at some point in time. I just moved back to the area in May and have been gone for 3 years. I'm Zach Ungerleider and have been flying (crashing airplanes) at Thunderbird since I was 14 or so. I have been busy since moving home with work and school so I have only been to the field twice. I have wanted a turbine jet since I was 12 and the excitement of having one has me going crazy right now waiting. Everyday a new box arrives of something I ordered, today was the K85. My number is 817-793-4352 and I may give you a call at some point with questions. I have found a ton of information on here and gotten great advice from lots of people.

Zach
Old 11-06-2018, 06:48 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, Hotmac field here in waco is one of the best jet fields in the country, 800ft paved runway covered pitts clubhouse electricity water etc etc. We do have Waco weekends when we get together and fly jets and hang out. There is a large Core group of us Texas guys and Gal reaching from DFW to Houston, and we are all willing to help you succeed. Feel free to hit me up when you wanna come this way, you can be my guest, and you will have a good time flying with us here at Hotmac as well..

Last edited by raron455; 11-06-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:24 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

TBirds.............we need a "Jet Day Out" soon as if it was 2010 (when we ruled the field on Saturdays ).
Old 11-07-2018, 06:13 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Dawn
Are ya'll still doing lunch or dinner out that way on occasion?
Old 11-07-2018, 07:01 AM
Dawn Ellzey

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Pat, do you mean our board meetings at JT's? If so yes and then several of us meet for diner on Sunday evenings also

Dawn
Old 11-07-2018, 07:31 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

That was it, may be a good option for Zach to meet up.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:46 AM
ZachU

I would be open to that just get me some details. I am free this weekend as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.