Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fms F/A-18 70mm DF Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fms F/A-18 70mm DF Jet

Old 11-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Pfroelicher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fms F/A-18 70mm DF Jet

Hi
I have this fms fa-18 jet and flew it twice.. I was a bit fast, grey on both side.. dificult to spot.
But I managed...Questions:
1. What Dual Rate do you use
2. Putting the CG more aft.. is it possible to fly and land slower? How much?
3. How to adjust the ESC so it does not only give power with 80% of the stick and then in the last 20% accelerates.. but a smoother curve?
4. How much flap do you guys use?
Thanks pierre
Old 11-23-2018, 02:18 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Pierre,

This forum is mainly for turbine powered models.
There is a lengthy thread on RCgroups for this model, which will answer all your questions, but here goes as I have one of these and they are a lot of fun to fly:

It's a jet.... its meant to be fast, and trust me, its not actually that fast
1: 80% for low rates and anywhere between 15-25% expo
2: Moving CoG aft will slow approach speeds down a little, but can also make the model very touchy. Practice approaches with the nose up and using throttle to control decent rate. We find the model can land quite slowly for a jet.
3: have you taught the ESC your radio? if not. Radio on, throttle to maximum, power model up, listen for the beeps, pull throttle to the off position, listen for me beeps. ready to go, should have smoother throttle. you should do this with all new electric models
4. Same as the manual states. If it is a windy day I only use part flap. about 15mm downwards

Thanks

dave
Old 11-23-2018, 04:12 AM
Pfroelicher

Originally Posted by ticketec View Post
Hi Pierre,

This forum is mainly for turbine powered models.
There is a lengthy thread on RCgroups for this model, which will answer all your questions, but here goes as I have one of these and they are a lot of fun to fly:

It's a jet.... its meant to be fast, and trust me, its not actually that fast
1: 80% for low rates and anywhere between 15-25% expo
2: Moving CoG aft will slow approach speeds down a little, but can also make the model very touchy. Practice approaches with the nose up and using throttle to control decent rate. We find the model can land quite slowly for a jet.
3: have you taught the ESC your radio? if not. Radio on, throttle to maximum, power model up, listen for the beeps, pull throttle to the off position, listen for me beeps. ready to go, should have smoother throttle. you should do this with all new electric models
4. Same as the manual states. If it is a windy day I only use part flap. about 15mm downwards

Thanks

dave
Dave.. thank you for your reply....will look for the right thread.. Thanks for you input anyway.. Perhaps I am to old, or the thing is to small...or too fast or all the three... haha.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:01 AM
Ceeray

Its not actually too fast, its just too FAT. Fitting 70mm EDF model with retracts and lots of servos, and making it out of EPO--> weight over 1.5kg and its porky..