Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 11:17 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
My apologies yes, I meant to say ground and positive wire for the gear.
yes my center pin is blank my ground is at the bottom of the controller and my positive wire is on the highest pin position.
No worries, just wanted to make sure on the verbiage. Please don't be offended but make sure you have a battery connected to the LGC15 via the MPX connector, the screen will light up with just power from the receiver, but you need another battery connected to operate the retracts and brakes (again, please don't be offended, just going through basic troubleshooting questions). I also would double check the RC Learn process just to make sure everything is correct there, it's not a super intuitive process and I seem to remember having to go through that a couple of times to get it right. I would also check your gear door sequencing steps, the defaults should make the gear go up and down but who knows if something might be off there. Also, make sure you have your cutoff amperage set correctly, if the amperage is set too low for your retract motor will shutoff too soon, and perhaps not move much at all. Also, check the settings on amperage cut-off verses motor steps, if I remember correctly the LGC15 can be configured to shut down the retract motor based on the number of steps it measures during the retraction and extension process, but I don't remember anything else about it, just might be something worth checking. -Tom

Last edited by Tip22v; 02-05-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd have to dig into mine, … But if I recall correctly, the OEM's two pin connector has the contacts right next to each other. If you put the pins in a normal JR connector, don't they have to be right next to each other? (i.e. NOT with the middle slot left open.)

On another note: I was taught that before you start modifying stuff, you first make it work as configured from the OEM. Then once you have it working, say on the bench, then you can frig around with desired mods.

Also, you did not mention that you set the current limits in the LGC 15. I had to up my limits significantly from the defaults.

You also did not mention if you used a voltage regulator. What is your input voltage? If it is too low, then the gear will not drive. If it is to high you can burn out the gear motors.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:32 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Len Todd
I'd have to dig into mine, … But if I recall correctly, the OEM's two pin connector has the contacts right next to each other. If you put the pins in a normal JR connector, don't they have to be right next to each other? (i.e. NOT with the middle slot left open.)

On another note: I was taught that before you start modifying stuff, you first make it work as configured from the OEM. Then once you have it working, say on the bench, then you can frig around with desired mods.

Also, you did not mention that you set the current limits in the LGC 15. I had to up my limits significantly from the defaults.

You also did not mention if you used a voltage regulator. What is your input voltage? If it is too low, then the gear will not drive. If it is to high you can burn out the gear motors.
From what I understand in the manual, you have to be able to flip the JR connector to reverse the polarity such that all retracts are operating up and down in sync, so the red and black wires cannot be next to each other on the three pin connector for the retract motors, they have to have the middle pin open. - Tom
Old 02-05-2020, 03:00 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I take no offense to double checking the most basic things.
Such as the case here, I had the polarity reversed on the connector plugging into the LG15.
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:54 PM
Tip22v

I take no offense to double checking the most basic things.
Such as the case here, I had the polarity reversed on the connector plugging into the LG15.
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
I’m glad you got it sorted out. I did that same thing with a Powerbox Mercury a while back and instantly fried the diodes, hopefully the LGC15 is more forgiving
Old 02-06-2020, 06:51 AM
Dieselman1220

Originally Posted by Tip22v
I’m glad you got it sorted out. I did that same thing with a Powerbox Mercury a while back and instantly fried the diodes, hopefully the LGC15 is more forgiving
I had the 2 pin connector from the gear to the controller reversed, however I guess it didn't solve my issue Ill make a separate post.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:59 AM
Dieselman1220

Ok pulling my hair out now.
I installed everything into the jet and now the gear are not working.
I reinstalled the stock JP controller and everything works fine, so it cannot be a retract motor issue.
I relearned RC multiple times, Im in standard servo mode using futaba.
motor amps set to 1.0 amp.
Some strange things I'm noticing, I cannot cycle the gear manually using the controller.
When I monitor the radio screen and command gear up (nothing happens) however, after about 8-10 seconds the status screen switches back to gear down even though I did not command it on my radio??
I have my EPA maxed out PW shows 820ish to 2130ish.
I also notice my brakes on the radio screen momentarily indicate on, even though Im not commanding them.
Im not sure if they are turning on or not as they are not yet plugged in, Im just trying to get the gear to cycle.
Im at a loss, it worked on the bench yesterday and now nothing??

Last edited by Dieselman1220; 02-06-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:58 AM
Tip22v

Ok pulling my hair out now.
I installed everything into the jet and now the gear are not working.
I reinstalled the stock JP controller and everything works fine, so it cannot be a retract motor issue.
I relearned RC multiple times, Im in standard servo mode using futaba.
motor amps set to 1.0 amp.
Some strange things I'm noticing, I cannot cycle the gear manually using the controller.
When I monitor the radio screen and command gear up (nothing happens) however, after about 8-10 seconds the status screen switches back to gear down even though I did not command it on my radio??
I have my EPA maxed out PW shows 820ish to 2130ish.
I also notice my brakes on the radio screen momentarily indicate on, even though Im not commanding them.
Im not sure if they are turning on or not as they are not yet plugged in, Im just trying to get the gear to cycle.
Im at a loss, it worked on the bench yesterday and now nothing??
Definitely something weird happening. When you say you cannot cycle the gear manually using the controller, does this mean you cannot get to the screen to with the EXTEND and RETRACT buttons? If that is the case you may need to calibrate the screen. Calibrating the screen is easy, just press the screen before you apply receiver power and the unit will go into screen calibration mode, then just follow the instructions. Also, what mode on you using on start up? If you have it set to cycle mode then you have to cycle the retract switch before the retracts are armed. Oh, one other thing to check, this is a long shot but make sure the TIME OUT is set correctly (mine is set to 7 seconds), if it's set too low that could potentially cause this problem. -Tom
Old 02-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Dieselman1220

Hi Tom, thanks for your willingness to help.
UPDATE..one main gear works just fine??
I can access all screens on the controller just fine, when I push retract or extend on the screen it does not cycle the gear.
I tried changing the start up mode, its on immediate so it should retract right away.
my timeout is set to 10 seconds i changed that too with no luck.
Im at a loss. I just removed it and reinstalled the stock JP controller which works flawlessly.
I guess ill just be doing my best to land slow so I can avoid killing my tires as those JP breaks grab way too hard.
In the mean time I will contact Dirk and Gaspar and see about exchanging this unit for another one.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Dieselman.....If I got it correctly....you reversed power on the LG15 controller? If you did so..it’s toast and that’s not covert on the warranty...
Old 02-06-2020, 02:11 PM
Dieselman1220

Originally Posted by Dansy
Dieselman.....If I got it correctly....you reversed power on the LG15 controller? If you did so..it’s toast and that’s not covert on the warranty...
No I did NOT reverse polarity on the battery input.
I did it on the gear connector to the motor, after further reading though that is irrelevant as it it would only change the direction the gear moves when flipping
the switch. The unit powers on and I can cycle through all the pages just fine.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:18 PM
Dansy

What mode are you trying to set with the TX and what system your using?

Its a pretty simple process, yap reversing the motors wire have nothing to do with it......obviously if nothing is moving its not programmed....correctly or defective...

Now you say you change the timeout...so its a programable unit...humm
Old 02-07-2020, 12:16 PM
Tip22v

Hi Tom, thanks for your willingness to help.
UPDATE..one main gear works just fine??
I can access all screens on the controller just fine, when I push retract or extend on the screen it does not cycle the gear.
I tried changing the start up mode, its on immediate so it should retract right away.
my timeout is set to 10 seconds i changed that too with no luck.
Im at a loss. I just removed it and reinstalled the stock JP controller which works flawlessly.
I guess ill just be doing my best to land slow so I can avoid killing my tires as those JP breaks grab way too hard.
In the mean time I will contact Dirk and Gaspar and see about exchanging this unit for another one.
I'm at a loss too, you have checked everything I know of to check. Keep us posted on developments, I agree its probably time to contact Dirk or Gaspar. -Tom
Old 02-07-2020, 01:10 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Question on mounting the GS200 or LG15. Does orientation of controller matter? I have seen them mounted sideways, but did not know if this would affect the operation of the steering gyro? My sense tells me that since it is only working in one axis, it does not matter.....but want to confirm before mounting. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2020, 01:25 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by cbk07
Question on mounting the GS200 or LG15. Does orientation of controller matter? I have seen them mounted sideways, but did not know if this would affect the operation of the steering gyro? My sense tells me that since it is only working in one axis, it does not matter.....but want to confirm before mounting. Thanks!
Your sense is correct, because it's only operating in one axis you just need to make sure it's mounted screen up, orientation in the screen up does not matter. -Tom
Old 02-07-2020, 01:35 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Perfect! Thank you Tom
Old 02-19-2020, 01:34 AM
winter1

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi guys. Who is using TX Jeti DS-24 + GS200 or LG15? What switch did you assign the brakes to? They can be assigned to one of the microswitches SO on the underside of the transmitter? ***winter***

Last edited by winter1; 02-19-2020 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:26 AM
Dansy

I used a DC-24...but it doesn’t matter either way it would be the right slider.....
Old 02-19-2020, 06:44 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by winter1
Hi guys. Who is using TX Jeti DS-24 + GS200 or LG15? What switch did you assign the brakes to? They can be assigned to one of the microswitches SO on the underside of the transmitter? ***winter***
i use a DS-24 and mix the brakes into Down Elevator (up stick). - Tom
Old 02-20-2020, 12:10 AM
winter1

I used a DC-24...but it doesn’t matter either way it would be the right slider.....
The point is, I only want to use one of the two buttons. It doesn't matter if it's SO on the right or SP on the left.
Switch labeled SO: One button has a range of -100% - 0% the other button has a range of 0% - +100%. I just want to use one of them. I don't know if it will work when the range is from 0 to +/- 100.
The SP switch works the same way. ***winter***

Last edited by winter1; 02-20-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:25 AM
winter1

i use a DS-24 and mix the brakes into Down Elevator (up stick). - Tom
If I understand it well. Suppress the elevator / stick apart / and the brakes are applied. ***winter***
Old 02-20-2020, 03:25 AM
Dansy

The point is, I only want to use one of the two buttons. It doesn't matter if it's SO on the right or SP on the left.
Switch labeled SO: One button has a range of -100% - 0% the other button has a range of 0% - +100%. I just want to use one of them. I don't know if it will work when the range is from 0 to +/- 100.
The SP switch works the same way. ***winter***
Well sorry....
Old 02-20-2020, 06:54 AM
Tip22v

If I understand it well. Suppress the elevator / stick apart / and the brakes are applied. ***winter***
I have my brakes configured such that they only operate when the gear are down. To apply proportional braking I simply move the right stick up (I use mode 2).
I prefer this setup, but it has some drawbacks as it is requires more programming to configure (although Jeti makes it easy). For example, you have to do some programming if you want a parking brake and you have to program it to disable when the gear are up.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:56 PM
winter1

Well sorry....
It's OK ... Sometimes it's not easy to explain your idea in a few sentences. So that the other party understands it immediately. Especially when English isn't my native language. However, these discussions are beneficial for all. One will learn a lot of things. Or when he knows the answer, he likes to share with other modelers. ***winter***
Old 02-21-2020, 11:06 PM
winter1

I have my brakes configured such that they only operate when the gear are down. To apply proportional braking I simply move the right stick up (I use mode 2).
I prefer this setup, but it has some drawbacks as it is requires more programming to configure (although Jeti makes it easy). For example, you have to do some programming if you want a parking brake and you have to program it to disable when the gear are up.
That is a good idea. Have you set it so that the brakes operate when the elevator control lever moves from 0% (middle stick position) to 100%? And only with the gear extended. ****winter***

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.