Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

need a afterburner kit for WREN 80D jet engine

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

need a afterburner kit for WREN 80D jet engine

Old 12-17-2018, 10:56 AM
ponyXpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a afterburner kit for WREN 80D jet engine

I'm staring a new custom RC Monster truck build 1/8th scale, and maybe I will go 1/5th scale. I have decided on the WREN 80D (which is a 100D turned down). WREN doesn't offer a afterburner kit for any of their engines, and they did not refer me to any specific kit. They only said that other customers have installed afterburner kits on their engines with success.

Unless I get advice to look at other Jet engine manufacturers, I will go with the WREN. Too bad they are in the UK however, as the exchange rate isn't good. They want 1,800. which is about $2300. USD.

Can anyone recommend a afterburner kit that will work good with the WREN engine? Or if there is a better option out there, please tell me about it.

I'll post the build once i have started it. Right now I'm in discovery phase and need advice.

Many thanks
Old 12-17-2018, 12:36 PM
hmjets

you will have to built your own A/B unit !?

Last edited by hmjets; 12-17-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Afterburners are prohibited under the AMA's turbine rules, and I am not aware of any commercially produced afterburners that are currently available for hobby sized turbines.
I have read a couple of stories of guys who have designed and built their own afterburners, but I don't think they were ever installed in a model because the fuel requirement far exceeded the thrust increase.
It may, or may not be a viable thing for a land vehicle.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:19 PM
ponyXpress

Ok, thanks guys. I didn't realize adding AB would be that difficult. I can live without it. I just thought it would be cool. I do not have the knowledge to build my own, so that is out.

I'm curious if there are other recommendations for a jet engine, other than WREN. Perhaps something made here in the US?
Old 12-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Auburn02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ponyXpress View Post
OI'm curious if there are other recommendations for a jet engine, other than WREN. Perhaps something made here in the US?
LOTS of other options, in fact you'll be hard pressed to find very much Wren commentary (good or bad) in any recent discussions on this site.

Here's one thread of various opinions: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...n-turbine.html
Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Are you looking at the turbine for its thrust or are you looking to have the turbine drive the wheels? This makes a big difference in which turbine you select. For driving the wheels you will be better off with one of the turbo prop units.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:40 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

From what I am reading,
I don't see why you could not try and fabricate some kind of afterburner assembly, in your post you are stating you are building a Giant RC Monster Truck??? If that is the case, you do not have to concern yourself with the AMA turbine safety code, as you will not be flying a model airplane, and will not be held to those standards unless you try to drive it at an AMA field, and then its almost a guarantee you will get the boot. I am assuming you are using this forum for a source of information in regards to getting the turbine setup, and functioning as you would like, and hopefully safely, and then trying to put an afterburner on it. I can assure you that you have found the best site for turbine help/support/information. On the other side of your desire you will not really find much info on the afterburner info, as we are model aircraft turbine pilots and we are held to strict safety and training standards, dictated by the AMA, and local fields. As Kevin stated above, when it comes to the AMA and model airplanes, AFTERBURNERS are Strictly prohibited.
That being said however, if you choose to do this, You really need to keep common sense and safety in mind, as you truly are playing with fire, and again as Kevin said the fuel consumption would be excessive, and yes it would be cool to see a turbine Monster truck with flame busting out of the rear, there is nothing cool about a burning truck headed towards anything....

Last edited by raron455; 12-18-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:01 PM
ponyXpress

Thanks Auburn02! That is a good thread and I posted my question there. I didn't realize there were so many other options, thank you again.

@ Flyinfool1 - this rc vehicle will be powered by thrust only, so no power to the wheels. This is really just for show / playing around.

@ raron455 - thanks for your post as well. I will likely start off with just getting the vehicle built and working with a jet engine. Then perhaps research how to add afterburner to it. I don't know anything about building a afterburner kit and there doesn't seem to be a kit I can buy.

To my surprise, there hasn't been very many people out there building a rc vehicle with a jet turbine engine. I only found a few when I searched for that, and they are old. I was hoping to copy from somebody who already did this.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:11 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

The reason you don't see much of this is probably due to the almost inevitable loss of the turbine. Once the RC car gets going very fast it will untimatly lose control and begin cartwheeling. A running turbine will likely be destroyed in that scenario so it'll get real expensive real fast.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:38 PM
ponyXpress

LOL - of the few videos I saw, they all looked like they are hard to control once the thrust kicks in. I'm sure you are right about that being one of the reasons for so few of these projects.

I won't be racing mine or even going at super high speeds. This is for show and play only. That said, I will try to build it so it can be safely controlled at speeds of 50+ mph. There is no reason for a land vehicle to go faster than that anyway IMO.

If the rc truck thing turns out to be less fun that expected, I may just put the jet engine in a jet and go back to flying.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Kevin_W

The turbine installation and operation will be the easy part. I would be worrying more about tire and brake design at this point if I were you.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:46 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

I have seen multiple videos of turbine rc boats, so where there is a will,, there is a way,,,,

Old 12-18-2018, 06:10 PM
ponyXpress

Originally Posted by Kevin_W View Post
The turbine installation and operation will be the easy part. I would be worrying more about tire and brake design at this point if I were you.
Good advice! That's why I'm looking at top rated on-road high speed 1/8th scale models now. Some of those have awesome wheelbase, tires, and most have disc brakes now. I will simply replace the proposed electric or nitro engine with a jet. I see no reason to redesign the wheel here LOL

That said, I sure hope it works!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:35 PM
Chris Nicastro

One obvious option would be to just add a small nozzle to the tail pipe in order to project a flame for visual effect like guys do on hot rod exhausts. Thats about it unless you engineer a safe AB add on unit to a stock turbine.
There was a Russian RC jet modeler that made an awesome AB unit for his Mig 23 intended for Jet World Masters many years ago. Thats the only example I've seen in video that was functional and very impressive. Watch the camera man jump when it lights and see the fuel level drop!

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 12-18-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:17 AM
JP-1

This one looked cool at Jet Power 2017
Fantastic rate of climb, very noisy, high fuel consumption, possibly not very practical.
Just shows though that almost anything is possible by some very talented people.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:54 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Jeez Chris that one had me looking for the diamonds.. but yea for an aircraft that fuel load would be insane.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 AM
ponyXpress

awesome videos! Thanks for sharing. I want to attend Jet Power 2019.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:24 PM
Kevin_W

Originally Posted by ponyXpress View Post
Good advice! That's why I'm looking at top rated on-road high speed 1/8th scale models now. Some of those have awesome wheelbase, tires, and most have disc brakes now. I will simply replace the proposed electric or nitro engine with a jet. I see no reason to redesign the wheel here LOL

That said, I sure hope it works!
It sounds like it will be an interesting project. I hope you are going to do a build thread on it for us.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by patf View Post
Jeez Chris that one had me looking for the diamonds.. but yea for an aircraft that fuel load would be insane.
I know right!! You’d need dedicated AB tanks instead of smoke tanks.
I think he succeeded but later lost the jet somehow. There were a couple built, beautiful jets, swing wings the scale gear and the whole 9 yards but I have not seen much of that model ever since.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by JP-1 View Post
This one looked cool at Jet Power 2017
Fantastic rate of climb, very noisy, high fuel consumption, possibly not very practical.
Just shows though that almost anything is possible by some very talented people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPF8rwenppo
I wonder if this is the same guy from the video I posted, anyone know?
Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 PM
causeitflies

Here's a vid
<iframe width="690" height="388" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lu-UC5afVIM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-19-2018, 08:29 PM
causeitflies

Another one
<iframe width="517" height="388" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T01iqDN1wYQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-19-2018, 08:41 PM
causeitflies

I think think these vids are about ten years old.
<iframe width="640" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uzdDQfeI9Ik" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-19-2018, 08:48 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Way back in the day, perhaps around the late 90's there was a company in England that manufactured a RC turbine equipped with a functioning afterburner.
They looked very similar to the one in the jet dragster.
I believe they were called "Skypipe" and they advertized in RCJI.
They drifted off into obscurity after a few years. I'm sure that folks in the GTBA would recall them.
Does anyone else remember them and/or have seen one in action?

Last edited by Harley Condra; 12-19-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:07 PM
causeitflies

Originally Posted by Harley Condra View Post
Way back in the day, perhaps around the late 90's there was a company in England that manufactured a RC turbine equipped with a functioning afterburner.
They looked very similar to the one in the jet dragster.
I believe they were called "Skypipe" and they advertized in RCJI.
They drifted off into obscurity after a few years. I'm sure that folks in the GTBA would recall them.
Does anyone else remember them and/or have seen one in action?
Yeah, that was a German company.
Here's another vid, not the Skypipe.
<iframe width="705" height="388" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KgPhOzmpREk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>