Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airpower wheels or not help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airpower wheels or not help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:01 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Airpower wheels or not help!

For those that have used Airpower wheels and brakes, are these Airpower original wheels or copies? And are the Airpower inflatable tires? If they are where to get Parts?

The ones I have are inflatable tires, the air valves for all 3 rims to inflate them are missing, any ideas where to get them? And are there any solid replacement tires for these rims?

Thank you for any help.

Last edited by CARS II; 12-17-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:12 AM
CARS II

I kept researching on the net about my gear set and came to the conclusion that what I have is an original Airpower gear set, not only that, DreamWorks may be able to help me get what I need, I could go with air filled tires ( have those ) or I could replace them with solid one.

That's it, now back to the Reaction thread.

Last edited by CARS II; 12-18-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:30 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Carlos,,,
I have had multiple skymaster F16s, and they all used Airpower wheels, and brakes, I also have airpower wheels and brakes on my comp lightning,,,
From what you are showing those are very close to my airpower wheels, Mine have a few more bolts and different slotting but the same 2 piece wheel, with the same O-ring in the middle groove for tire filling,
your brake disc also looks like my airpowers.
hope this info helps a little
Old 12-18-2018, 10:55 AM
CARS II

Thanks Ronnie, it helps, in my search on the net I found a page showing all kinds of Airpower wheels and brakes, the 3" wheels or bigger uses a different brake hub ( bigger )

Here is a question for you, how does the air filled tires hold up to the landings abuse? I was thinking to change them to solid ones instead and how in the world do you fill them up with Air? I just don't see how the air can get to the tire and stay There?

Tks.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:05 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Carlos, the tires hold up well, But I would also say that depends on the plane you are using them on. I have the same size airpower inflatable tires on my F-16 and my Comp arf lightning. The F-16 full of fuel is almost 50 lbs, the lightning is less, not sure how much because I have never weighed it. They are both inflated to 80psi, My F-16 lands faster than my lightning, so I am on the brakes harder, and due that I see more wear on the tires of my F-16 than I do on my Lightning. I fly my lightning more than my F-16, and I am still on my first set of tires, I am on my 3rd set of tires on my F-16. The airpower brakes are very sensitive if you start getting above 60psi in the tank, they will lock up easily even with progressive brake valves. I have came in hot more than a few times with my F-16 and when I put the brakes on I have seen smoke trails coming off both tires, which wears them very quickly. So from my experience the tire wear and life truly depends on the plane and landing style you have. I can tellyou another issue with airpower tires is that airpower is not around anymore, so getting tires is going to be a real issue, it already is a problem for some sizes, the size I have on my planes is not available any more, I used to get them from dreamworks, but they no longer have them, the last 2 sets I ordered I had to get straight from skymaster, and they are not the same. The ones I got from dreamworks said airpower on the bag, and when inflated to the 80psi I run were a little over 4 inches, these ones I got from skymaster I have inflated to 100psi, and they measure right at 3 3/4 inches, it is a noticeable difference, and one I don't like. On my F-16 I have had to increase the strut pressure to help compensate for that smaller tire to try and help stop the tail from dragging. Personally I have been looking for a different wheel/tire setup but have had no luck.. Again, hope this info helps.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:17 PM
CARS II

It actually answers all my questions regarding these wheels, thank you for taking the time to write it, I'm also looking at Sierra Giant for a possible solution, he has big wheels.

Thanks.