Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom Any Reviews?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom Any Reviews?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:03 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom Any Reviews?

I'm loving the look of the X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom

I also have an extra JetCat P120sx that needs a home.

I foundIa few builds on this jet but no flight info and only YouTube clip I can find is edf.

So is this jet really heavy for its wing size. Ie hard to land?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:21 PM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Xtreme F4e Phantom still in kit form.I have not seen one fly except the video clip. There are a couple other RCU members who have them and fly regularly. The plane has a high wing loading so weight needs to be watched while building.

Now that I have all the parts and peices needed, I will start a build thread soon. Mine is the Thunderbirds scheme.

I hope you join us with another F4

Jeff
Old 12-20-2018, 06:15 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There's a pretty comprehensive thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10600424-maj-woodys-x-treme-jets-f-4c-phantom.html

The kit is not well engineered and you need to make several mods during the build. They're pretty well covered in that thread.

The plane flies and lands fine, although I'm sure the larger F-4 is better due to its lighter wing loading. You need to keep it light and a 120 is the right engine for it. Mine has a 140 and it's more than enough power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua2kwFcf6R4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2vNulraO0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFAlQekyAL8 It doesn't say so but I'm quite certain this is a 1/9.5 Xtreme
Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 AM
F16Jeff

Originally Posted by joeflyer View Post
There's a pretty comprehensive thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...c-phantom.html

The kit is not well engineered and you need to make several mods during the build. They're pretty well covered in that thread.

The plane flies and lands fine, although I'm sure the larger F-4 is better due to its lighter wing loading. You need to keep it light and a 120 is the right engine for it. Mine has a 140 and it's more than enough power.
Hi Joe,

Nice flight videos. What is your F4e dry weight? It will give me an idea of where I need to be.

Thank you,

Jeff
Old 12-20-2018, 08:56 AM
joeflyer

I'm at 24.5# dry. Your P120 is about 1/2 pound heavier than my M140, so 25# would be a good target weight for you.

Joe
Old 12-20-2018, 10:50 AM
F16Jeff

Originally Posted by joeflyer View Post
I'm at 24.5# dry. Your P120 is about 1/2 pound heavier than my M140, so 25# would be a good target weight for you.

Joe
I am using the KT 140g2, which does look to be a 1/2 pound heavier. Thank you for the weight, that will give me an idea of where I need to be.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2018, 11:35 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Echoing what Joe said, the Xtreme F-4 flys fine. It doesn't really fly heavy and its kind of a lifting body, so it just sinks when it gets slow.

If you keep the power and speed up a bit on landing, it lands fine and it just settles in with no bouncing.

Mine went into a tree when I had an engine failure, but I'm rebuilding it because I liked it so much.

Bob
Old 12-20-2018, 07:38 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a floater, normally with jets like my F-15 and F-18F, coming off the power on final will cause those to drop and you will destroy them.So even if your left stick has two positions, takeoff and landing, the F-4 will fly great. I first flew the F-4 like my F-15 and it went right on by, had to completely chop the throttle on landing, not used to doing that. It is very forgiving, it will forgive a dumb thumb several times and still give you a good flair on landing. Seems to have low drag, not a lot of extra power needed in a tight turn. I've flown them with a K100 and the K120, both fly fine. Being a throttle management guy because of EDF experience and a believer in energy management, I find both fun to fly.

I do not agree that the plane needs a lot of modifications, some here a super anal tend to over think things and that's fine, I'm just here to say build it stock with just a few and it will work as advertised. I relocated the holes in the saddle tanks and I turned the pipe upside down from what the instructions show. Also shave material from the bottom of the nozzles for more down thrust and to keep the tail from burning.

This is a complete chop of the throttle on landing, not something I'm used to doing with any plane, but if you want to land the F-4 you have too.
Good luck, you will love it, nothing looks cooler in the air!

Old 12-21-2018, 06:31 AM
joeflyer

I do not agree that the plane needs a lot of modification
Not a lot of modifications but a few are necessary to get things to work right. In addition to what Diony mentioned above you have to move the location where air lines and wires exit the wings forward about 6 inches, cut away the front of the cockpit tub so that the steering servo won't hit it, add a block of wood to the front gear door to prevent it from catching the strut scissors (at least on the F4e), the tail cones I received were for the larger F4 and had to be cut down to fit, move the CG back to about 255 - 260 mm. Read the full thread that Major Woody started before you begin the build. I agree that not everything he did was absolutely necessary.

Joe
Old 12-21-2018, 11:01 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mighty E and D
I forgot about a few small mods, normally done without much thought during building. But Woody also said the cockpit sucked, don't agree with that either! I agree also with the CG, start at 255mm. having extra meat on the tail cones was nice, because it allowed me to position the pipe as I wanted it and then give the cones the scale looking down thrust angle. In any event it's a great flying plane and well worth the money.