Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:58 PM
miksterr

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vario

Hello. I have installed this sensor (gyro, rpm, vario+) into a Multiplex Funray.

pc programmable at the moment and gives full telemetry to the Core Tx. An update later in the year will allow adjustments through screen.

Small, easy to install and it works well.

Also have the iGyro sat in a 3D plane. Installation super easy and once I understood the directions I needed to move the plane it all went well.

I use right pot for off in centre, then gains in both directions with the gyro modes.

Re updates- Richard has just indicated that the update will come end of next week.

Google : sm-modellbau.de/UniSens-E-und-Zubehoer

Mike.

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Rather surprised we have not had much discussion here recently, particularly as the expert forum is mainly in German.

The Core really is a most capable device, with huge growth potential.

A few points:

I found the clasp on the on the strap too small, particularly with cold fingers last Sunday, worth changing for a larger unit.,

I spent an hour trying to get the servos working properly, after they stopped responding, after some exploration of the system.

I eventually traced the problem on the 9 channel receiver which in the menu, I had inadvertently set to channel A out to function two but the servo did not respond to ch 2 operation.

Does anyone know the complete logic of those settings as I have had some strange results, the outputs did not always follow that selected after channel 3. Selecting channel 4 and the servo still responded to channel 3 control.

Changing the 9 ch to 10 ch is not explained in the manual but is easy (when you know how!) . Just set Fast track to PWM on the receiver menu accessed on the receiver widget .

The release of the latest Core update is imminent, so we should have speech soon.

Telemetry ? A vario would be most welcome.

Flying my PST Reaction ( my test/evaluation model for the Core) last week was real pleasure using the Flight Modes perfectly matching flap travel speeds with trim fade in, perfectly benign handling.

Anyone using the I Sat gyro ?
Old 01-05-2020, 07:47 PM
AngusMc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So impressed with the potential of this radio I just sold off all my Jeti stuff. Hopefully will receive my radio and receivers in a few weeks. One question, is Powerbox planing on the ability to incorporate voice prompts on switches and/or telemetry values?

Angus
Old 01-05-2020, 10:13 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

Angus

Yes, if you Radio is a few weeks away it should have voice software by then

Dave
Old 01-06-2020, 09:54 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default core radio

Just a question. A friend has one of these and I am interested, but when I held it the loops on the back get in the way of my hands. Can those be removed?

Patrick
Old 01-07-2020, 12:31 PM
jimibar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm a Jeti user since a few years and I was wondering something on the core.
If I have to configure a Jeti radio system on a really expensive plane, I would use 2 RSATs and one 900mhz SAT, triple redundancy in both ways.
I was thinking about updating my radio system to a DS24 for that triple redundancy but what would the Core offer for a more secure config ? I know there is no 900mhz backup link implemented, but can you achieve something more reliable on the Core ?
Old 01-07-2020, 12:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Core does't need 900mhz backup lol its been rock solid at large and busy events.

Each RX is 2 receivers in one and you can display link quality and lost frames via telemetery, I haven't had it at a big event like they were flying at Jet Power but I get single digit lost frames at the fields I've been at since switching over.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:41 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by sirrom
Just a question. A friend has one of these and I am interested, but when I held it the loops on the back get in the way of my hands. Can those be removed?

Patrick
Yes, just unscrew from inside. My prototype Tx does not have them, but you have to place the Tx flat or you might operate the rear switches.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:45 PM
Dave Wilshere

I was thinking maybe Jeti are not so secure with their 2.4Ghz links...

All modern systems are amazing, but they have to deal with cluttered airways, so some are better than others, I think PB have the best system, hence I fly Core.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:56 PM
jimibar

I understood that the PB link is bullet proof, thanks to Weatronic RF link. But what would be a realiable setup for a very big plance ?
@Dave, I never had any issues with the 2.4 link from Jeti yet, maybe I was lucky maybe not but the 900mhz is a nice psychological support anyway
The following users liked this post:
flybiggles (09-12-2022)
Old 01-07-2020, 01:37 PM
BarracudaHockey

Depends on what you consider "very big"

I think that's more a function of how many servos, I just (10 minutes ago actually) setup a 60cc Raven with a 26D receiver using 2 batteries and 2 HD switches, and a Spark Switch Pro for the ignition. Looking forward to seeing the ignition telemetry in action.

But its only got 6 servos so while it's "big" i don't see the need for a Mercury like my Havoc GTS with flap servos, landing gear, nose steering, brakes etc.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:49 PM
jimibar

I'm not speaking about a particular model or number of servos or whatever. I just would like to know what config a Core can bring only regarding RF link for big models. As said before, Jeti would be 2 RSATs + 1 900mhz SAT.
I read somewhere that you can use up to 4 SATs with the core ? How does they work together ?
Old 01-07-2020, 03:14 PM
Dave Wilshere

I would not run a 60cc aerobat with just an Rx, but it depends how you are going to fly it. People do ‘getaway’ with it, but the Evolution was produced with this sort of aeroplane in mind. I like the signal amplifiers built in to the Powerbox units.

Big model set up is any SRS Powerbox with two, 26D Rx’s which effectively is giving you 4 lots of data collection.
Because of the patch lead supply these can be positioned where ever there is clear signal.

That’s all you need.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:47 PM
BarracudaHockey

Thanks Dave, been doing this a while
Old 01-07-2020, 11:51 PM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I flew for years a 2.2 meters Yak 54 powered by a Zenoah 62 with just a R6014HS and a 6,0V Ni-Cd battery while I owned a Futaba 12FG and never had a single glitch or issue. If now we are going to need 2 receivers for safely flying this size of model, we are really going back......
Old 01-08-2020, 12:01 AM
jimibar

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Big model set up is any SRS Powerbox with two, 26D Rx’s which effectively is giving you 4 lots of data collection.
Because of the patch lead supply these can be positioned where ever there is clear signal.

That’s all you need.
Thanks for your answer Dave, is that the setup used in the 10m long Concorde @Jet power this year ?
Old 01-08-2020, 03:56 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jescardin
I flew for years a 2.2 meters Yak 54 powered by a Zenoah 62 with just a R6014HS and a 6,0V Ni-Cd battery while I owned a Futaba 12FG and never had a single glitch or issue. If now we are going to need 2 receivers for safely flying this size of model, we are really going back......
Well technology improves which causes some of us to redefine what is "needed" to feel comfortable we are improving our chances for success. I would not fly an expensive plane this day without some level of redundancy in energy (dual batteries, failsafe or dual switches) and receiver (dual receiver+).
But that will be my definition of need.

I'm moving from DS-24 Jeti to Core. I would always use 2.4 and 900mhz in an expensive plane (never quite trusted 2.4 only on Jeti). After using Weatronics for 5+ years, I feel very conformable with just using 2.4 in Core. Still for expensive plane will always use the redundancy on energy and receivers (so two 26D for expensive planes).
Old 01-08-2020, 04:08 AM
miksterr

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Agreed...

I agree Edgar. Whilst we ‘did’ fly that way the 2.4 gig spectrum (as well as most of the rest of the spectrum) is getting more congested by the day.

Better installation, redundancy and more robust transmission systems will be needed in lots of applications, flying conditions.

Take the recent show in China where 2.4 ghz interfered with a lot of Rc transmitters.

Mike.

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
Well technology improves which causes some of us to redefine what is "needed" to feel comfortable we are improving our chances for success. I would not fly an expensive plane this day without some level of redundancy in energy (dual batteries, failsafe or dual switches) and receiver (dual receiver+).
But that will be my definition of need.

I'm moving from DS-24 Jeti to Core. I would always use 2.4 and 900mhz in an expensive plane (never quite trusted 2.4 only on Jeti). After using Weatronics for 5+ years, I feel very conformable with just using 2.4 in Core. Still for expensive plane will always use the redundancy on energy and receivers (so two 26D for expensive planes).
Old 01-08-2020, 04:26 AM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by jimibar
Thanks for your answer Dave, is that the setup used in the 10m long Concorde @Jet power this year ?
i think it’s got two Powerbox Royal SRS units with the four 26D Rx spread around the model.

Dave
Old 01-08-2020, 11:43 AM
Dave Wilshere

Finally got the chance to play with the iSat Gyro today. First thing I would say is Tx and Rx need updating to the latest version when you are trying anything new. We had the example recently that a newly supplied Rx was presumed to be the latest version...but when you think about it PB, or a dealer stocking them is unlikely to unpack and update Rx’s before shipping. So the rule is update.
i did a Tx and Rx update today and having already set an Rx telemetry widget, re scanning found the Gyro.
I then ran out of time again, but will try and do some pictures tomorrow of various steps
Old 01-09-2020, 04:11 AM
Dave Wilshere

Here are some photos. I’m struggling for the time needed to list it all out, but with the iSat manual it makes sense! You need to double tap on the Rx widget, in this case RSSi was used and the Rx menu comes up. Touch the menu list (with Rx on) and it will scan find the Rx. Then it will show a screen with General settings where you change it to Fasttrack. Then use the two long bars at the extreme of each page to scroll.
This set up has the two ailerons in 2&7, 3&8 elevator etc. The gain channel ch5

Old 01-09-2020, 05:44 AM
jimibar

Maybe a stupid question but is the Core compatible with all Powerbox ? Evolution; Mercury; etc ... ?
Can you connect 2 Core sats to the PB Evolution for example ?
What kind of setup would be safe for an Xtremjet F18 (the small F18F from Skymaster) ? I got 9 servos to connect, with the regular channels (ailerons/rudder/elevator/throttle) + landing gear + brakes + flaps and one spare channel for the gyro gain.
I assume the PB Evolution won't be enough ?
Old 01-09-2020, 06:17 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Core

Of course the Core is compatible with PB products, but doubt Evolution, 6 channels would suit your application.

I am currently evaluating the Core with the 9 (10) channel receiver with 8 servos plus a throttle input using a PST Reaction .
PB Sensor Power supply.

Works perfectly.

The power consumption of this model was evaluated earlier using a Weatronics Gizmo receiver which measures current. No guess work there.

The value was less than 3 amps, WAY below the safe levels of the PBR 9 receiver and Sensor.

My Core will soon be installed, using 26 ch rx Mercury with 18 servos 4( from gear programmer) in. a 1/4 scale Sea Fury with Moki 250.

I have every confidence it will be a perfect installation.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 01-09-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:23 AM
BarracudaHockey

This has been out in publication for a while now so I'll post it here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Powerbox Core.pdf (573.9 KB, 139 views)
Old 01-09-2020, 07:08 AM
Dave Wilshere

Evolution was available in std and Spektrum versions. You can connect a 7ch PWM Rx to the std one, but the Spektrum version is only that.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:11 AM
jimibar

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Of course the Core is compatible with PB products, but doubt Evolution, 6 channels would suit your application.

I am currently evaluating the Core with the 9 (10) channel receiver with 8 servos plus a throttle input using a PST Reaction .
PB Sensor Power supply.

Works perfectly.

The power consumption of this model was evaluated earlier using a Weatronics Gizmo receiver which measures current. No guess work there.

The value was less than 3 amps, WAY below the safe levels of the PBR 9 receiver and Sensor.

My Core will soon be installed, using 26 ch rx Mercury with 18 servos 4( from gear programmer) in. a 1/4 scale Sea Fury with Moki 250.

I have every confidence it will be a perfect installation.

Thanks for your reply David.
Since this morning I'm in front of the Powerbox product page trying to figure out which receivers/box I need and it is quite frustrating to spend that time for simple applications ...

I have 2 planes to move from a CBOX 200 to whatever the Core can offer with the same level of realiability.
One is the small F18 from Skymaster, it's 2.3 meter long with a K160 in it and 9 servos.
And the other one is an Extreme Flight MXS in 94 inches with 5 servos.

I know that the PBR-9D is a dual receivers unit but you really think it will be safe enough to fly it in a 2.3m jet and big 3d planes ?
So to sum up, PowerBox Sensor -> PBR-9D ?
Looks pretty light to me ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.