Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 08:36 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by icicles
I'm looking for some advice. I currently own a Futaba 18mz, and it is basically 10 years old, time to move it on, nothing wrong with it. And thinking of a Core

All my large models are set up with Sbus (serial)through a Emcotec DPSI bus hub. I don't use the Powerbox expanders. The DPSI bus hub handles the power requirements just fine. Lighter etc

I do understand if I go to the Core it will involve new RX's.

My question is, can I purchase Powerbox Rx's, output a serial output that my servos (Futaba Sbus2 types)in existing models will recognise. I don't want to install a power expander, and then have to PWM to the servos. I don't want to run all new cabling. I can hopefully just change RX's

Thanks muchly
Ok from the source, you're better sticking with Futaba because PowerBox can't run the Sbus programmed servos.
The following users liked this post:
husafreak (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Yes - he can use his wiring and Servos. All receivers have an S.BUS output which is the protocol used in this hub. S.BUS2 servos also understand the regular S.BUS as well.

From Powerbox directly...

Old 04-06-2020, 11:18 AM
BarracudaHockey

I got my info from Powerbox as well. Maybe whomever you talked to or whomever I talked to, didn't fully understand the question
Old 04-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

I spoke to Richard...who designed it all 🙂
He had read the thread, so pretty sure he knew the question...
Old 04-06-2020, 12:22 PM
BarracudaHockey

You're the man then, thanks
Old 04-06-2020, 05:36 PM
icicles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys
Looks like I'm jumping ship
Core here I come
Plus a steep learning curve I'm sure

Chris
Old 04-06-2020, 07:03 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

icicles, let me know if you ever meet or hear of someone not thoroughly enjoying their CORE radio Yes, learning curve, you'll find it brilliant in practice and in operation.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:22 AM
BarracudaHockey

I found it more difficult than Spektrum which is basically wizards to setup different wing types, but much more intuitive than Futaba

Once you setup a couple of planes and wrap your head around the programming flow and terms it becomes pretty natural.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:22 AM
icicles

Really nice to hear some positive comments about the Core
I admit to being a long time Futaba diehard
I have felt a 32MZ. And was extremely disappointed. Sliders on the back are in a terrible position and difficult to operate. Knobs on the front are too recessed. I'll stop!
The gimbals themselves felt really, really nice. Smooth with basically no resistance. The best Futaba has produced I feel.

Really looking forward to the Core giving me more!

Chris

Old 04-07-2020, 05:55 AM
BarracudaHockey

These gimbals are like machined butter. The sliders are in exactly the right place for my hands and the knobs, sliders, and gimbals are all field effect and machined.

Updates came out for my receivers and I updated them this morning from my radio, one of the coolest features IMO
Old 04-07-2020, 06:59 AM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave is correct - the receivers can be set to output SBus.

We are using this right now to communicate with the PB Royal. The Royal will only output PWM or using the PBUS system - not Sbus.

As Dave has stated, if someone is just replacing a Futaba system with the Core, this is done very easily - just replace the Futaba receivers with the Core receivers and go into the receiver settings via a widget in the Core and change the output to Sbus.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:33 AM
husafreak

I'm repeating myself here so sorry but can I simply connect a PBR-5S or PBR-7S (via the P2-BUS?) to create a 12 channel dual Rx? Or is there more to it than that?
Old 04-11-2020, 08:43 AM
husafreak

A word to the wise to be careful of a feature in mixes that I'm not sure is safe. I was flying my pattern plane yesterday after converting it to the CORE. In anticipation of needing throttle to elevator, rudder to elevator, and rudder to aileron mixes I quickly enabled them in my Tx. When I powered up to fly again I realized that all of the mixes were active and at high values! So I went back to the mixes and zeroed them out. I don't know why PB defaults to a random high mix value but I think it should default to zero when first enabled.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:18 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-13-2020, 06:08 AM
JamesKNMA

Originally Posted by husafreak
I'm repeating myself here so sorry but can I simply connect a PBR-5S or PBR-7S (via the P2-BUS?) to create a 12 channel dual Rx? Or is there more to it than that?
You can run up to four receivers together, but they are not connected through the P2-BUS - it's all done on the transmitter receiver binding page. You do, of course, need to supply power to each one, though.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:11 AM
husafreak

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2020, 01:51 PM
AngusMc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is insane, to get my head wraped around this, your first receiver is a 7 channel, ( 1-7) next is 5 channel, is this automatically 8-12?
Old 04-13-2020, 03:08 PM
icicles

Originally Posted by MattyMatt
Dave is correct - the receivers can be set to output SBus.

We are using this right now to communicate with the PB Royal. The Royal will only output PWM or using the PBUS system - not Sbus.

As Dave has stated, if someone is just replacing a Futaba system with the Core, this is done very easily - just replace the Futaba receivers with the Core receivers and go into the receiver settings via a widget in the Core and change the output to Sbus.
Okay
Done the deal
Now I just have to patiently wait (hard)
At least I have time to measure all my models control throws and other important stuff. Prior to setting them all up again
Thanks to everyone for answering my questions

Chris
Old 04-13-2020, 03:53 PM
husafreak

Originally Posted by AngusMc
This is insane, to get my head wraped around this, your first receiver is a 7 channel, ( 1-7) next is 5 channel, is this automatically 8-12?
not sure how the channel assignments happen but I’m confident now to purchase a couple of 5ch Rx and play with it. I know it’s crazy to switch a lot of planes over but this a great feeling Tx. I really enjoy flying pattern and 3D with it. It’s also fun to program, it’s different than what I’m used too (wizards!) but the user interface is sweet.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:52 AM
BarracudaHockey

I had a 10 channel jet running on a PBR9D by remapping the P2Bus to PWM. BUT I had an iSat gyro that I wanted to install in that jet and needed the P2Bus port back. I could have done it a couple of ways but I put another receiver in the jet, a PBR8E and plugged in the nose steering, brakes, and gear and ran power to it. (1,2,3,4) then set the 9D in the receiver/telemetry menu to start at channel 5. Then it was a matter of mapping the functions i wanted to each servo number. Then I set the gyro gain to channel 12 and assigned it to a knob, the gyro gain is a virtual channel, meaning you just setup the knob as servo 12 and then tell the gyro that it's gain feed is 12 and you're done.

So for the receivers that support it, you go to the Receiver menu

Tap the receiver you want to modify

Then tell it what servo (channel) you want that receiver to start at..

Old 04-14-2020, 05:44 AM
JamesKNMA

Originally Posted by AngusMc
Nearly - there's one more step. Using the receiver widget on the transmitter you set the 5-channel to start at channel 8. In the last photo in the post above it's shown as Output A Start.

Last edited by JamesKNMA; 04-14-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:05 AM
AngusMc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that is just brilliant, thanks for the screen shots

AM
Old 04-14-2020, 07:07 AM
JamesKNMA

One of the things that weirds me out about this radio is that you can do things like Andy's solution above because apparently all of the receivers pick up all 26 channels all of the time. This melted my brain, but it certainly adds tremendous flexibility.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:28 AM
husafreak

Thanks for the pics
Old 04-15-2020, 08:20 AM
Michelvr

Good morning,

This is my first post on the rcuniverse forum! I usually like to keep myself up to date on current affairs concerning our hobby and this forum is the place for that, bar none! I've been reading and looking for a few years but I never contributed so here's my thanks for all the help this forum gives.

I would like thank Dave Wilshere for starting this post and also to every one of you who posted informative reply's on the Poweerbox Core! I've been reading the information thoroughly and I would thank you all very much as it's insightful and inspiring! I do not fly jets but I was looking for information on the Powerbox Core!

I was a previous Jeti radio control user and I had sold my radio a couple of years ago thinking I was going to give up this great hobby. Well that idea only lasted eighteen months and I'm back into the thick of things and I would like to mention that I am also a new Powerbox Core owner. I never had the pleasure to see the Powerbox Core radio in person, or feel it my hands but I took the risk anyway knowing full well this is the future of radio controllers. I've only had the radio for a week and I must say this was the right choice I made!

Last edited by Michelvr; 04-15-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.