Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:24 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 718 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by husafreak
Agreed... And it will also be nice when we can hear "voice" alarms for telemetry events like that low pressure warning, and also have that low pressure warning automatically lower the gear! Until then I am in the market for a gear failsafe system for my new Moki 180 powered, Mercury equipped warbird.
Any luck using the Powerbox rpm sensors with those Mokis? I have a PBS-RPM for mine but it seems that not everyone has had success with it. I have not installed it yet. I have the PBS-T250 as well. It will be great to know what exactly is happening with the engine during flight.
Andy has temperature and I think Rpm on the Moki...I just hate all that stuff! His Tx was going mad through the test flight with warnings where the values were incorrectly set, more chance of my binning his toy from the vibration/noise distraction than from low battery, temperature or the other warnings....! Luckily I can ignore all the ‘back ground’ noise. I’ll ask him about the sensors, I think the rpm one we cured by lengthening the wire.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:04 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks Dave I would appreciate that. Typically I am seeing a lot of folks on the Powerbox Support Forum who write in with questions and then never follow up after getting advice, bloody bad manners if you ask me
I am being dragged kicking and screaming into the world of telemetry. I have also seen a lot of very nice airplanes crashed needlessly in the last few years due to systems confusion and system operator errors, not all of them model aircraft either. It's a slippery slope.
A lot of these sensors, temp, rpm, etc. could probably be moved on to the next aircraft after establishing a correct set up too.
I'd like to give a little shout out for you personally here, I love your column in the Jet International Magazine and especially the way you try to simplify and instruct, it is the voice of reason and often common sense in an increasingly complicated hobby. I always read the beginner and how to columns. I'm still learning. I soldered together my first radio in, I think 1976, a Heathkit. I am from the world of "look for good advice and take it". But when I offer advice it is often disregarded, by young or old newcomers to the hobby, is instructing now insulting? So now I actually try not to! We have beginners to the hobby that are just learning to fly R/C, and they want to do it with jets, and they don't want advice? Crazy... Keep up the good work!
P.S. That rant was NOT directed at anyone on the forum, anyone here is likely trying to learn.

Last edited by husafreak; 08-25-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Dave Wilshere

Will do.
i see they could save a model, but increasingly I see people not considering/understanding what they are alerting. Battery voltages are the most misunderstood figures in the hobby and variations in the chemistry adds to that. Setting a Li-Ion 2s pack to warn me at the ‘nominal’ voltage is just a distraction.
Thanks for the kind words, I just try to steer people the correct way. Each year there are a lot of models lost or damaged because of poor decisions. I look at everything with the same end goal, I have no interest in the visual, only the function.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:48 AM
David Gladwin

Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Another modelling milestone for me and with the. Core, too.

Fired up the Moki 250 in my Sea Fury for the first time, using the electric start initiated by a pushbutton on the transmitter. Its brilliant to switch on the ignition, and hear the announcement: IGNITION ON, BE CAREFUL. and CHOKE ON then CHOKE OFF. Push the starter button :STARTER ENGAGED then STARTER OFF.

The Moki started after a couple of seconds of starter engaged, magic, and oh that sound !

Jet connection ? Well the Sea Fury shot down a Mig in Korea !
Old 08-26-2020, 10:25 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Yeah for my Turbines and large electric Helis it would be nice to have some more detailed timer info other than you have 5 seconds left.....
Unisense make a current sensor that should be compatible with your Core system. You can also use the current sensor for the turbine by installing it the power line to the fuel pump. You then calculate
how many ma pass through the pump during a flight and set an alarm on the Tx.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:34 AM
David Gladwin

Yeah for my Turbines and large electric Helis it would be nice to have some more detailed timer info other than you have 5 seconds left.....
Easy. Just assign a non locking switch, or a pushbutton, to the timer. Just press it and it will speak time remaining or time elapsed depending on how you assign it.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:37 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Easy. Just assign a non locking switch, or a pushbutton, to the timer. Just press it and it will speak time remaining or time elapsed depending on how you assign it.
I will have to try this, I have it on a switch now but it is the retract switch. I will use another... are you saying add a switch or any switch will do that because it does not do it now with the switch....?
Old 08-27-2020, 01:09 AM
jimibar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is anyone using a Pitot tube with the Core ?
There is the one from cb-elektronics, any thoughts ?
Old 08-27-2020, 03:15 AM
David Gladwin

I will have to try this, I have it on a switch now but it is the retract switch. I will use another... are you saying add a switch or any switch will do that because it does not do it now with the switch....?
I cant recall exactly the setting procedure but I have the times arranged so that on my jet( and on my new Sea Fury) I have :
A 10 minute timer which starts on gear up.
Voice announces countdown time value on pressing spring loaded switch. I dont want unrequested announcements but I guess they could be set on the Core.
Gives alarm approaching 10 minutes.
Timer reset by pressing right pushbutton.

On my glider I have the timer set to announce count UP.

The flexibility of the timers is first class.

The more I explore and use the Core the more I like it!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:28 AM
dvcam99

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Unisense make a current sensor that should be compatible with your Core system. You can also use the current sensor for the turbine by installing it the power line to the fuel pump. You then calculate
how many ma pass through the pump during a flight and set an alarm on the Tx.
Hello Bob,

I would not recommend this with ECU`s like ProJet, JetCat and EVO Jet for example. Because all these ECU`s have a security "feature" called galvanic separation.
If you plug in a current telemetry sensor without a galvanic separation you connect the ECU current side to the receiver side.

The galvanic separtion is then bypassed.

BR

Dirk
CB Elektronics
Old 08-27-2020, 05:34 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dvcam99
Hello Bob,

I would not recommend this with ECU`s like ProJet, JetCat and EVO Jet for example. Because all these ECU`s have a security "feature" called galvanic separation.
If you plug in a current telemetry sensor without a galvanic separation you connect the ECU current side to the receiver side.

The galvanic separtion is then bypassed.

BR

Dirk
CB Elektronics
Well, I did this on a jetcat P60 and it worked fine. I added the sensor to the positive line between the ECU and fuel pump. But I will heed your warning.
Thank you!
Bob

Old 08-27-2020, 05:46 AM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The VSpeak telemetry converter works really well with the Core. I'm using it with my AMT Olympus... i can see everything.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:17 AM
dvcam99

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Well, I did this on a jetcat P60 and it worked fine. I added the sensor to the positive line between the ECU and fuel pump. But I will heed your warning.
Thank you!
Bob
Bob,

yes keep an eye on it. If you are interested into the ECU galvanic situation under the follwing link I have published a white paper.
This document shows the situation in more details. PDF document under the following link:

https://www.cb-elektronics.com/turbine-related.html

This is very important if it comes to some kind of ECU´s and ECU telemetry data converter.

BR
Dirk
CB Elektronics

Last edited by dvcam99; 08-27-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:38 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Smile V-Speak is fantastic.

Originally Posted by MattyMatt
The VSpeak telemetry converter works really well with the Core. I'm using it with my AMT Olympus... i can see everything.
Completely agree. The fact that V-Speak works on most radios and with most turbines - offering the same telemetry displays for all my installations. The V-Speak telemetry was a major part of my decision when changing from the Futaba 18MZ to the PB Core. I have converted 10 turbine models and it is great to have a common display layout on my transmitter across all my various turbine brands; JetCat (including turboprop), AMT Netherlands and Kingtech (both Xicoy and Kingtech).

The CORE and V-Speak combination is a new milestone in my modelling.

JanR
The following users liked this post:
miksterr (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 07:38 PM
Halcyon66

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Just got a Pioneer which I have to say is a work of art, very cool never thought it would be that small.

The Pro 5 battery's are on the same level, these guys have some very impressive stuff.

Regards,
Old 08-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Dave Wilshere

The new V3 Sensor switch that supersedes the previous version is similar in design to the Pioneer and smaller that the original switch...but with more current capability and 5.9v or 7.8v output.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:19 PM
dvcam99

We from CB Elektronics are proud to introduced the first fully integrated 24Bit IAS speed sensor for the CORE telemetry. This sensor technique is so advanced in performance terms like low noise and resolution.

CB P2B DIAS-440 digital IAS Speed Sensor compatible with all CORE PowerBox Systems telemetry products

Firmware Version 1.0

Use and Features:
  • Easy initial operation ( assemble pitostatic tube, plug in, switch on and read IAS meas result) No PC is necessary! Plug and Play!
  • Unique "One-tube- system" for easy installation. If you prefer you can build your own scale pitot tube.
  • Measurement range from 12- 440Km/h
  • CB P2B DIAS-440 speed sensor design based on our thousand times proofen range of IAS speed sensor family
  • New 24Bit digital pressure sensor, low sensor noise
  • Speed display in kmh (kilometer/hour), mph (miles/hour), m/s (meters/second) or kts (knots)
  • Top-Speed display via the CORE TX telemetry display
  • Supports ultra short CORE voice announcement, selectable via the P2B DIAS CORE TX sensor setup menu
  • Supported ICAO pressure speed curve
  • Simulation mode for easy speech setup at the CORE TX
  • Compatible with all CORE telemetry receiver (P2B)
  • 40Mhz RISC CPU (fast converting of test results)
  • Automatic nullification (sensor calibration)
  • Small, light, also fits into small models
  • English printed manual
  • Dynamic and static pressure interpretation for speed measurement ( comparison to real airplanes)

CB P2B DIAS-440 Speed Sensor Specification
Input voltage range: 4,6-10Volt
IAS speed meas range: 12-440Km/h
Speed calculation error: +- 4Km/h
Meas-System: Static and dynamic
Optical signalisation: Yes CORE Bus activity
Connection: At the P2B CORE receiver connector
PowerBox CORE P2Bus: Yes supported

Dimensions: B x L x T in mm 36 x 46 x 13,5
Weight: P2B DIAS-440 Sensor without Pitot and tubbing 18gr.

Delivery: Pitot, Silicone tubbing aprox. 50cm and sensor electroncis, manual (complete kit)

*All Trademarks in relation to CORE based products belong to PowerBox Systems GmbH.

For quote please be so kind and use our contact form.

If you have further questions regarding IAS speed measurement don`t hesitate to contact us.

https://www.cb-elektronics.com…as-440-digital-24bit.html
https://www.cb-elektronics.com/contact.html
https://www.cb-elektronics.com/index.html

Best regards

Dirk CB Elektronics
The following users liked this post:
blackcat (08-27-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 08:14 PM
AngusMc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Guys, not sure if I missed it in this thread is there a recommended way to program crow for a jet? I did check the PB forum they talk about it but no step by step programming.

thanks for any help

Angus
Old 08-28-2020, 08:59 PM
miksterr

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Crow

Hi Angus.

Add a,new function and include the 2 aileron and 2 flap servos in in.

Next assign a switch to control it, reverse any servos to have them act as desired (both flaps down, ailerons up) when on...
Then select the rate, use rate or a curve in the setup area.

Mike.

Originally Posted by AngusMc
Hi Guys, not sure if I missed it in this thread is there a recommended way to program crow for a jet? I did check the PB forum they talk about it but no step by step programming.

thanks for any help

Angus
Old 08-28-2020, 11:02 PM
Dave Wilshere

Kinda what he said. If you want CROW with the landing flap position you just add the Aileron servos to the flap switch servo list, same if you need elevator trim change with flaps you can add the two elevator servos to the flap function, so there would be 6 servos in the right hand box. Yiu can then adjust centre, travel etc for the Aileron and elevator part. If you had a landing light you wanted with full flap, you could add that there too...
Old 08-28-2020, 11:42 PM
miksterr

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave,

My assumption is that flaps are already assigned and working, this gives crow as an option whilst keeping flaps as they were. (In case not desirable)

Michael.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:24 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by dvcam99
We from CB Elektronics are proud to introduced the first fully integrated 24Bit IAS speed sensor for the CORE telemetry. This sensor technique is so advanced in performance terms like low noise and resolution.

CB P2B DIAS-440 digital IAS Speed Sensor compatible with all CORE PowerBox Systems telemetry products

Firmware Version 1.0

Use and Features:
  • Easy initial operation ( assemble pitostatic tube, plug in, switch on and read IAS meas result) No PC is necessary! Plug and Play!
  • Unique "One-tube- system" for easy installation. If you prefer you can build your own scale pitot tube.
  • Measurement range from 12- 440Km/h
  • CB P2B DIAS-440 speed sensor design based on our thousand times proofen range of IAS speed sensor family
  • New 24Bit digital pressure sensor, low sensor noise
  • Speed display in kmh (kilometer/hour), mph (miles/hour), m/s (meters/second) or kts (knots)
  • Top-Speed display via the CORE TX telemetry display
  • Supports ultra short CORE voice announcement, selectable via the P2B DIAS CORE TX sensor setup menu
  • Supported ICAO pressure speed curve
  • Simulation mode for easy speech setup at the CORE TX
  • Compatible with all CORE telemetry receiver (P2B)
  • 40Mhz RISC CPU (fast converting of test results)
  • Automatic nullification (sensor calibration)
  • Small, light, also fits into small models
  • English printed manual
  • Dynamic and static pressure interpretation for speed measurement ( comparison to real airplanes)

CB P2B DIAS-440 Speed Sensor Specification
Input voltage range: 4,6-10Volt
IAS speed meas range: 12-440Km/h
Speed calculation error: +- 4Km/h
Meas-System: Static and dynamic
Optical signalisation: Yes CORE Bus activity
Connection: At the P2B CORE receiver connector
PowerBox CORE P2Bus: Yes supported

Dimensions: B x L x T in mm 36 x 46 x 13,5
Weight: P2B DIAS-440 Sensor without Pitot and tubbing 18gr.

Delivery: Pitot, Silicone tubbing aprox. 50cm and sensor electroncis, manual (complete kit)

*All Trademarks in relation to CORE based products belong to PowerBox Systems GmbH.

For quote please be so kind and use our contact form.

If you have further questions regarding IAS speed measurement don`t hesitate to contact us.

https://www.cb-elektronics.com…as-440-digital-24bit.html
https://www.cb-elektronics.com/contact.html
https://www.cb-elektronics.com/index.html

Best regards

Dirk CB Elektronics
I have ordered one of these IAS sensors to experiment with on my Reaction test model.

Question is, how are we going to use the data. We can’t stare at the screen when flying so do we need a stick shaker when in the circuit, or an aural tone when on speed on finals at, say 1.3 vs. as on some naval aircraft.

Of course software may be developed to drive the thrust for a speed lock !,

Ideas, anyone?
Old 09-01-2020, 01:22 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by miksterr
Dave,

My assumption is that flaps are already assigned and working, this gives crow as an option whilst keeping flaps as they were. (In case not desirable)

Michael.
Yes, that’s an option I have used, anything is possible with this radio 🙂

Dave
Old 09-03-2020, 12:57 PM
ash 26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Core with M-link

Hi
My Multiplex Core M-link arrived today what a piece of kit 👌 very impressed with it just have to get my head around it now I have 2 options powerbox receivers and I can use all my Multiplex M-link receivers, can't wait to use it over the weekend 😀

Old 09-03-2020, 01:22 PM
Halcyon66

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Other RX support is pretty impressive.

Regards,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.