Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:45 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you tried it without the Champion. In other words, a couple of servos plugged directly into the receiver? At least you would know if issue was on transmitting end or receiving end.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:51 AM
vilysakowski

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbk07
Have you tried it without the Champion. In other words, a couple of servos plugged directly into the receiver? At least you would know if issue was on transmitting end or receiving end.
When I turn on the Champion but leave the CORE turned off, all of the servos turn on and don't jerk/jump. You can hear that they are all on. But the moment the CORE is turned on, everything goes crazy with the servos.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:54 AM
vilysakowski

Originally Posted by cbk07
I've only got PBR-26D's. They have to be connected to a PowerBox in order to work. I've got another Champion sitting around and can see if that'll make a difference.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:51 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi that is a good idea to swap the Champion. I don't use that either so I can't help you out. Do as Dave said and post a pic of your wiring. Did you do anything in the Rx menu of the Core after you bound the Rx's?
Old 03-13-2021, 08:21 AM
AngusMc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Hi that is a good idea to swap the Champion. I don't use that either so I can't help you out. Do as Dave said and post a pic of your wiring. Did you do anything in the Rx menu of the Core after you bound the Rx's?
I don’t use champion, first thing I do is hook up all devices to Powerbox Terminal and make sure software is up to date and the Champion is set to PowerBox input signal and not some other brand of input. I have found that not all devices are factory default to powerbox and that may result in your symptoms
Old 03-13-2021, 09:05 AM
vilysakowski

Well I think I figured it out. I moved both the RX cables from P2Bus to Fast track data. I used a separate lead from P2Bus in 1 receiver to the telemetry port in the champion. This was done just like Richard said for the older Royals in compatibility mode on the PowerBox forums. I changed the system from P2Bus to S.Bus and matched the Framerate for both receivers in the CORE to 18ms and 18ms in the champion SRS. And boom, everything works excellent right now! My champion is 3+ years old way before the core came out and that's why it wasn't working with P2Bus. My next Champion was purchased about 6 months ago so that should work with P2Bus.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:31 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default "Factory" update

I recently was able to update older PB Royal for native P2Bus support by sending in to PB Americas. I believe this may be an option for all SRS based units, but not absolutely certain???
Old 03-13-2021, 04:27 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by vilysakowski
Well I think I figured it out. I moved both the RX cables from P2Bus to Fast track data. I used a separate lead from P2Bus in 1 receiver to the telemetry port in the champion. This was done just like Richard said for the older Royals in compatibility mode on the PowerBox forums. I changed the system from P2Bus to S.Bus and matched the Framerate for both receivers in the CORE to 18ms and 18ms in the champion SRS. And boom, everything works excellent right now! My champion is 3+ years old way before the core came out and that's why it wasn't working with P2Bus. My next Champion was purchased about 6 months ago so that should work with P2Bus.
Glad you were able to get it working. Sorry I wasn't of more help but the solution is way beyond my Core experience. Have to log that issue in the memory bank as I have an older Royal SRS in my SM Tomcat, but it's buried in the shipping container it came to me in, out in my shop and I'm afraid it's going to stay there for some time.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:04 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The Royal SRS has two processors and the user can only update one. If your Royal needs the other processor updated, then only PB or the local PB distributor can do that update.

JanR
Old 03-14-2021, 04:24 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi
I.have a Core for 2 weeks and very happy with it. Less funny part is to program all jets from scratch after being a Futaba user since I was a teen. Nonetheless, this has been very intuitive and fun programming

There is no mixer in the servos menus, that allows to mix different servos using the same funtion. The mixer only allows to use mixes, between functions, like elevator to flap, or aileron to rudder. But for example I use 2 servos ganged together in the flying stab of my aviation design Hawk. If I want to mix elevator 1 and elevator 2, it's not possible. I can do it on the servos menu, but the curbe is limited in only to 17 points in a 200% travel, meaning only 7 or 9 points are really usefull for the used throw.

Usually I match the servos using the TX, rather than the Powerbox, as PB only allows to match in 3 points. One of the things I thought the Core could do, was to match a courbe in the same funtion in 33 points. In my 18MZ I was using 17.

The lack of mixes with different servos using the same function, is really a major topic to be left unattended. I am yet discovering the TX, but don't see it being possible

B.R
Nuno
Old 03-14-2021, 05:25 PM
vilysakowski

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Glad you were able to get it working. Sorry I wasn't of more help but the solution is way beyond my Core experience. Have to log that issue in the memory bank as I have an older Royal SRS in my SM Tomcat, but it's buried in the shipping container it came to me in, out in my shop and I'm afraid it's going to stay there for some time.
Well I just finished programming a 41% Krill and all I can say i WOW! I love this radio. The more I use it, the more I love the way this radio works and how simple it is to use/program with it. I did a little research beforehand but diving into the programming by yourself is the best way to learn. It comes quickly, within a day became pretty proficient at using the CORE. There are so many functions and programming capabilities the CORE has that I didn't even know about. It was definitely worth the wait for this radio.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:25 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad you got it sorted, it is too bad you had to go through the problems though. PowerBox Should really be more proactive with helping CORE purchasers use older PowerBox products. They don't really give much info there. I don't have a Champion but when I got my new CORE I could not get it to work with my older Royal and also had to ask for help on the Support Forum. I found out I would have to use the Royal in a different mode, or send it in for upgrade. Now I am happily using it in the "degraded" mode, that is no problem, it all works well. But as you found learning how to use two PowerBox products together was anything but easy. Ideally it should not be this way. I wondered at the time why the manuals were not updated, perhaps now they are or will be.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:08 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by jetnuno
Hi
I.have a Core for 2 weeks and very happy with it. Less funny part is to program all jets from scratch after being a Futaba user since I was a teen. Nonetheless, this has been very intuitive and fun programming

There is no mixer in the servos menus, that allows to mix different servos using the same funtion. The mixer only allows to use mixes, between functions, like elevator to flap, or aileron to rudder. But for example I use 2 servos ganged together in the flying stab of my aviation design Hawk. If I want to mix elevator 1 and elevator 2, it's not possible. I can do it on the servos menu, but the curbe is limited in only to 17 points in a 200% travel, meaning only 7 or 9 points are really usefull for the used throw.

Usually I match the servos using the TX, rather than the Powerbox, as PB only allows to match in 3 points. One of the things I thought the Core could do, was to match a courbe in the same funtion in 33 points. In my 18MZ I was using 17.

The lack of mixes with different servos using the same function, is really a major topic to be left unattended. I am yet discovering the TX, but don't see it being possible

B.R
Nuno
You don’t need to use free mixers with the Core. There are several ways to do everything, but having two servos move from one control you just add the servos to the function...and keep adding. With fixed elevator to flap mixing and CROW I have had 6 servos added to the flap switch and you can adjust each servo sing the flap switch as a controller. The aileron and elevator servos are still controlled by their own function.

Now with flight modes available Flap/Elevator compensation is best dealt with using the trims since they allow some adjustment throughout the models life.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:37 PM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

What Powerbox really needs is a "Harry Curzon" who does instruction videos on YouTube for the Jeti product line. Martin Pickering has done a couple of verry good instruction videos of Powerbox products but it takes many, many moore to reach the same hights.

Jannica.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:35 PM
Springbok Flyer

I have to agree - teaching one self how to use the CORE is not always fun. For me the worst experiences have been when trying to understand what is meant on the PB forum. With so many translations happening the messages get lost in misunderstanding and sometimes even plain bad attitude. We definitely need a well versed English mentor to run through the basics and take on the challenges that confront all newbies to the CORE and all the other PB products - each and everyone a fantastic quality product. Just not supported understandably.

JanR
Old 03-15-2021, 12:18 AM
Dave Wilshere

When I started selling Core I wondered if I was opening myself up to a World of pain from customers contacting me every minute about set up. I’ve sold to many different levels of experience and been pleasantly surprised how well people get on with just a few pointers. Danny at PB America’s has also done some videos other than Martin that I have seen, he should be able to help people with questions on your side of the big pond.
Because the Core was always going to be a constantly developing radio it has been impossible to produce a manual covering everything as it’s released. Manuals written by anyone connected with the development are a waste of print in my experience, too much of what is required makes sense in their minds without the need to write it down.

Powerbox Expert forum answers questions in the language the question was asked in.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:17 AM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Powerbox Expert forum answers questions in the language the question was asked in.
My point being that the person reading the question is doing so in their language (which is very likely a translation from the original), they then answer what they've understood from the (possibly translated) question. Which in turn is read and commented on by the next person, again based on a translated version, until ultimately the original question does not arrive suitably and understandably answered in the language as asked. This leads to some rather bad outcomes.

I have been part of threads that had several 'original' language contributions - but yet all I read was English. It is absolutely incredible how many different versions the same concept can have when it is translated over and over. The way of expression in one language is not always conveyed with the same intend in another language.

JanR
Old 03-15-2021, 06:54 AM
husafreak

I agree that printed manuals are no longer needed. But online .pdf manuals are and they should be updated as the products develop. It should be a higher priority. Videos are a problem because they float around on the internet and don't get updated. Jeti may have better video coverage but that doesn't keep their owners from long discussions and Tx programming exercises on the flight line. Those Tx should come with a chair to be used for that purpose! For some reason though manuals are often left for last and forgotten. It’s not only PowerBox. It was a problem at work with Boeing’s! I don’t think engineers like to write much, LOL.

Last edited by husafreak; 03-15-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:39 AM
husafreak

That said "problem solving" has been a part of model aircraft Tx programming since Futaba and JR first put computers in them. It is a part of the hobby.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:52 AM
Dave Wilshere

The latest Core I sold today has a paper manual (also on line) showing Flight Modes, so it’s pretty up to date.

I think Richard does amazingly well answering German and English questions. I only read the ones asked in English as written German has a literal sense.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:21 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

My biggest issue right now with the number of PB CORE components, is the FREQUENT updates issued for various components. Can't they at least mention that various parts of the system have been issued software updates????

Or have I completely missed some "check box" in my PB Forum profile?????
Old 03-15-2021, 10:13 PM
Dave Wilshere

I don’t update anything that is working flawlessly with the software it has, generally it’s when I want to change something that it needs an update for using new features.
I use the Terminal not Forum. I can click on the Terminal and see what the latest software shown is.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:16 AM
Springbok Flyer

I agree Dave, don't fix what is not broken. I only do updates before I start a new installation or like you, if I want to use new features.

JanR
Old 03-16-2021, 07:26 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Screen protector

Originally Posted by Thruster
CORE SCREEN PROTECTOR

Anyone wanting a screen protector for their PB Core, these guys do it and turnaround is good and not expensive - if you order 10 then spread the cost with mates etc.

https://www.protectionfilms24.com/cu...cc8d04911e1e70

Brotect AirGlass Screen Protector custom size 75mm x 112mm, Radius: 6.0mm
Anyone share feedback on the Brotect?

Are folks using protection or flying commando?
Old 03-16-2021, 07:33 AM
Dave Wilshere

I have customers with them and without. Neither of my Core Tx have one. Here is the screen on my prototype TX that will be 3 years old in a couple of months. Not a scratch...but I look after my radios, I have customers that have new Tx’s that look as if they took them home, dug a hole in the garden and buried them...then dug up a week later!

Dave

The following users liked this post:
husafreak (03-16-2021)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.