Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:13 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jvaliensi View Post
I met a F5J flyer that told me he went to Core because it has superior transmission range, compared to Jeti (He uses Jeti too). F5J events will spec-out a 4m glider, and that is quite a distance.
Has there been any validation to Core having better range than Jeti?
Thx
Nope..
Old 04-26-2021, 04:33 PM
jcterrettaz

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some one here ad problem with is Jeti in F5J glider and switch to Graupner , but its the only one many glider pilots in my group are with Jeti and did not have any issue... actually 90% have Jeti
I really want to said thank you , the support for my new Core radio system its amazing in the Power box forums ... so fast and accurate
Old 05-03-2021, 03:22 PM
vilysakowski

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to see if anyone knows how to setup aileron differential on this radio. I have 1 Aileron Function with 2 servos assigned to that function. Servo 1 is for the left aileron and Servo 6 is for the right aileron. Richard at PowerBox told me to make the left and right aileron functions seperate and adjust the curve in the setup menu for each servo at that point. However, this seems to make things way more complicated. If I need to ever adjust the expo/dual rates on the ailerons I'd have to adjust everything twice and double check the values on both functions seperately. In addition to that, any mixings that would require aileron such as Rudder/Aileron (Which I use for Knife Edge) would become even more complicated to setup because I'd need two separate mixes for that purpose. Does anyone have any experience with aileron differential in this radio? I'd like to hear how you guys personally set it up on your radios. I'd like to keep it simple while setting it up so that it doesn't overcomplicate things in setup.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:33 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My understanding is that there is no Aileron differential "wizard" for the CORE and until there is you will have to do it as Richard says. I believe this function is a high priority though and that Powerbox will implement something soon. As nice as the CORE is there are a few ***? things about it and this is one. If I misspoke apologies all around, the software changes very rapidly with a flurry of updates and there are also some very clever solutions guys have got for these situations
Old 05-03-2021, 05:38 PM
vilysakowski

Originally Posted by husafreak View Post
My understanding is that there is no Aileron differential "wizard" for the CORE and until there is you will have to do it as Richard says. I believe this function is a high priority though and that Powerbox will implement something soon. As nice as the CORE is there are a few ***? things about it and this is one. If I misspoke apologies all around, the software changes very rapidly with a flurry of updates and there are also some very clever solutions guys have got for these situations
As a matter of fact, Richard said the wizard for aileron differential will be available in about 2 weeks. I honestly think that will be the best option as it'll really simplify things. Creating 2 separate functions for the aileron just creates a ton of new things to look out for when making adjustments to mixes or expo and even dual rates. I can't wait for that update to come out as I really need it.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:59 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 229 Likes on 186 Posts

I just set the travel with an offset for each surface, left or right input. Then all expo and D/R changes follow the same percentages.
it’s rare to have a model where the travel percentages are the same anyway. They might start at the magic 100-100% but to get perfect rolls having 98-99% one direction is common. So for top hinge surfaces where you need more down aileron than up I have 100% up direction and 105% down. (Or 95% up and 100% down direction etc)

The following users liked this post:
Springbok Flyer (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 11:55 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree, I do the same Dave.

JanR
Old 05-04-2021, 02:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

The Aileron Differential wizard is being beta tested so look for it soon
Old 05-04-2021, 03:43 AM
vilysakowski

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
I just set the travel with an offset for each surface, left or right input. Then all expo and D/R changes follow the same percentages.
its rare to have a model where the travel percentages are the same anyway. They might start at the magic 100-100% but to get perfect rolls having 98-99% one direction is common. So for top hinge surfaces where you need more down aileron than up I have 100% up direction and 105% down. (Or 95% up and 100% down direction etc)
I'm assuming you're referring to just changing the endpoints in the sevo menu? That definitely sounds like the simplest option. I'll go with this method and try out the differential wizard once that comes out.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:03 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by vilysakowski View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to just changing the endpoints in the sevo menu? That definitely sounds like the simplest option. I'll go with this method and try out the differential wizard once that comes out.
You can always go old school and offset the servo arm one tooth on the output shaft, that's how we used to do it before all the electronic felgercarb came along
Old 05-04-2021, 08:34 AM
dvcam99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello together,

from perspective it is super easy to setup a aileron differential.
Step-1 create two functions one for aileron left and one for aileron right.
Step-2 create two 3 point curve in each curve editor like shown in the pictures

Job done.

BR
Dirk CB Elektronics
Old 05-04-2021, 11:44 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jvaliensi View Post
I met a F5J flyer that told me he went to Core because it has superior transmission range, compared to Jeti (He uses Jeti too). F5J events will spec-out a 4m glider, and that is quite a distance.
Has there been any validation to Core having better range than Jeti?
Thx
There was testing done using the Weatronic system, which was the predecessor of the CORE. Range test of a few radio systems
Old 05-04-2021, 01:01 PM
dvcam99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello together,

just a quick snap shot from last weekend Predator/Core flight. The graph shows the correlation of max GPS distance to LQI1+2 of receiver A. Nearly 800m and it was already difficult to see the Jet at this phase in flight.

I fully trust my CORE!! In use now over 2 years!!

BR

Dirk

Old 05-05-2021, 01:36 AM
David Gladwin

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Forget all this old style mechanical setup and curve programming, the aileron diff. programme for Core will be here very soon.

It was an addition I suggested to Richard some time ago.

The Weatronic Bat 60, grandfather of the Core has exactly that. It is on the functions page, as where you alter expo , rates etc. The diff. function is assigned to a rotary or switch and is completely variable in flight between +/- 100 %. Of course, you need to assign two servo outputs to the aileron function, easy on the Core.

It will be a most valuable addition to this very fine system which handled my new. Sabre, with all PB equipment, 9and 8 channel rxs, sensor 3,I gyro SAT, and pneumatic system pressure sensor all working in perfect harmony.
( photo credit R Spreadbury)

So far as range is concerned, I got exceptional range ( as did numerous other testers) with my Weatronics receivers, extended even further by using patch receiver antennae. One of our very competent Weatronic users decided to attach a patch to his Core receiver, but Richard advised it was just not necessary as the range is FAR more than needed with the current whips.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 05-06-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:26 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin View Post

So far as range is concerned, I got exceptional range ( as did numerous other testers) with my Weatronics receivers, extended even further by using patch receiver antennae. One of our very competent Weatronic users decided to attach a patch to his Core receiver, but Richard advised it was just not necessary as the range is FAR more than needed with the current whips.
What was the slant range distance?
Old 05-05-2021, 12:55 PM
Halcyon66

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

https://www.radartutorial.eu/01.basi...0Range.en.html

Regards,
Old 05-06-2021, 12:47 AM
David Gladwin

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan View Post
What was the slant range distance?
I cant give you exact distances on the Weatronic. That said, Ultimate jets reported tested ground range of 3000m which would be considerably greater as height of rx increased.

My testing was to fly my 2m Hotliner, with strobes, at a far greater distance and height than I would ever fly a jet. Recorded values of RSSI and LQI showed solid reception at extreme range. The Core system, which uses basically the same RF system is said by PB. to be even better to the point that patch antennae are not required, Knowing the competence and integrity of PB I have no reason to doubt them and I now fly my jets with Core with complete confidence.

With the addition of aileron differential, the Core, a brilliant system for which there is now huge demand, will be even better. As my superb (based on considerable experience,) Weatronics systems age, Core equipment will gradually replace it.

My last hope for the Core system is to integrate two receivers and gyro into a single PowerBox as was done in the Weatronic Gizmo receivers.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 05-06-2021 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:08 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by David Gladwin View Post
I cant give you exact distances on the Weatronic. That said, Ultimate jets reported tested ground range of 3000m which would be considerably greater as height of rx increased.

My testing was to fly my 2m Hotliner, with strobes, at a far greater distance and height than I would ever fly a jet. Recorded values of RSSI and LQI showed solid reception at extreme range. The Core system, which uses basically the same RF system is said by PB. to be even better to the point that patch antennae are not required, Knowing the competence and integrity of PB I have no reason to doubt them and I now fly my jets with Core with complete confidence.

With the addition of aileron differential, the Core, a brilliant system for which there is now huge demand, will be even better. As my superb (based on considerable experience,) Weatronics systems age, Core equipment will gradually replace it.

My last hope for the Core system is to integrate two receivers and gyro into a single PowerBox as was done in the Weatronic Gizmo receivers.
Thank you for your explanation. With just the Core and it's telemetry, what is the greatest distance that you have flown your jets from the transmitter? I regularly fly 2500'-3000' away from the transmitter with several different brands. Right now, I'm not happy with my current brand, which doesn't matter who it is right now. Just shopping. Thx!
Old 05-06-2021, 04:18 AM
BarracudaHockey

Dan, you won't have any range problems or regrets with this radio.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:30 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Dan, you won't have any range problems or regrets with this radio.
Thank you Andrew with your input. I fly 3- PB Mercury's and love them.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:30 AM
AngusMc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A snap shot from PB, Ideal conditions even at 1/2 the claim still impressive.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:40 PM
jcterrettaz

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The only thing I wonder : why I did not bought this radio before .. and I was able to put aileron differential using curve setup on my glider ..
Old Today, 11:18 AM
BarracudaHockey

I saw the differential wizard today in person, pretty cool and easy to use, you can assign it to a knob an adjust it on the fly till you find the percentage that gives you the results you want. Also the Core internal telemetry comes up without a receiver bound.

Good stuff and very happy with the constant stream of updates and Richard and the crew providing what pilots are asking for.