Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Powerbox Core radio and set up thread. >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

When using 2 or more receivers on the Core, do they need to be the same model receiver or can you mix and match if you're using a Competition SR2 or the like to input into?
Old 11-10-2022, 09:39 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

Not sure why you'd want to mix and match but I'm sure 2 p2bus capable receivers would work fine like a 26D and a 9D for example.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Not sure why you'd want to mix and match but I'm sure 2 p2bus capable receivers would work fine like a 26D and a 9D for example.
It's more a case of what may be laying around in the hangar.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer686
When using 2 or more receivers on the Core, do they need to be the same model receiver or can you mix and match if you're using a Competition SR2 or the like to input into?
Interesting question; must admit I have never thought of doing that and I'm sure Dave Willshire will be able to confirm. But I suppose if you are able to bind both receivers to the Tx, via your Competition SR2, that you are getting the dual Rx protection and should be fine. Should they bind successfully, I would suggest you test it by unplugging one Rx at a time and confirm safe operation of your model.

Let us know how it turns out.

JanR
Old 11-10-2022, 01:33 PM
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Interesting question; must admit I have never thought of doing that and I'm sure Dave Willshire will be able to confirm. But I suppose if you are able to bind both receivers to the Tx, via your Competition SR2, that you are getting the dual Rx protection and should be fine. Should they bind successfully, I would suggest you test it by unplugging one Rx at a time and confirm safe operation of your model.

JanR

If all else fails, read the directions?

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 11-10-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:00 PM

Received 739 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer686
Any P2bus (Fastrack on older M-Link systems) can be used/mixed. Only down side on things like the 5/7 is single aerial

So, 26D and 7/9 mixed is fine. On an SRS or SR2 you are only using the Receiver side

Dave
Old 11-10-2022, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan

That is more for direct PWM use, you could bind 4x 5ch Rx and assign outputs to control 20 channels…
But each needs powering equally too.
The following users liked this post:
Springbok Flyer (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 07:26 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I was told you can use dissimilar Rx. Say you have a 14 channel scale plane, you can put 9 important flight control surfaces on an expensive 9 ch dual Rx, and additional less important stuff on a 5 ch single Rx. Just tell the CORE to start the tenth ch on the 5 ch Rx.
Of course you will need to power them separately and they will operate independently in the aircraft.

Last edited by husafreak; 11-10-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:25 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan

Yes I did and I have done that with 2 different Rx's too - but not using a Competition SR2. (BTW, the instructions don't mention it either). So best to listen to the expert and learn - thanks for clearing it up Dave W.

JanR
Old 11-10-2022, 09:56 PM

PB would want the safest set up, it’s the whole company USP. A 26D or PBR 9 are as safe as each other…but the extra cost of the 9 means you would not buy a 9 purely for an SRS system…unless maybe you wanted to use the PWM channels to sneak an extra channel or two for valves or something.
Core is very flexible, I have people who swap Rx’s around depending on what is in use at that particular time. Me, I want the best setup installed and left alone…

Old 11-10-2022, 11:04 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Using the lower profile 26D's also allows the user to mount them somewhere quite remote where the antennas themselves can be placed in optimal RF positions within the airframe.

in many cases this may not result in a convenient location to wire other functions to (if using pwm output Rx)... eg. You might have one installed down the rear of the aircraft in the tail and another in a wing or right up the nose somewhere.

By adding a third Rx (purely for a couple of non critical functions) then you could use their 5, 7 or even their 9ch Rx for this role and place it somewhere conducive to short wiring runs relative to the equipment you wish to control and not have to worry about the RF performance as much.

This is a great option say on the Pioneer as you can quickly add to its 14ch capacity without impacting RF performance in any way and at the same time it allows the user to have some additonal flexibility with the internal PWM control wiring as it does not all have to go back to the Pioneer.

Last edited by CostasV; 11-10-2022 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:17 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

As Dave has stated - Flexibility is the key here...!
Old 11-11-2022, 01:29 AM

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer

JanR
Not neccessary.
On a Competition SR 2 one has only to look at the home screen, Rx 1 OK and RX 2 OK ! Binding is rapid and normal, works perfectly.
…and the receiver instructions confirm all receivers (except 8 ) output 26 channels on P2 bus output !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 11-11-2022 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2022, 05:16 AM
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Check List ?

I have a Core, and am very impressed with it so far-
Was wondering if there was any way to create a pre-flight check list that could be made to pop up when the TX booted up, specific to each model of course.
I currently use paper notes for each model to remind me of correct rates for that particular model, don't forget to check the xyz, etc, etc. Just thought it would be a nice addition to be able to have these notes display on the TX instead of trying to keep up with my notes.
Thoughts ?
Thanks for everyone that contributes to this thread-It has helped me very much.
Regards-Mike
Old 11-11-2022, 05:25 AM

Sorry I forgot to get back to you on Facebook.

Yes, there's a pre-flight check list of sorts available in the latest software that allows you to teach switch positions. It doesn't have one to check off that you aired up your retracts or whatever but if you want to verify switch positions it will do that.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:00 AM

There is a Youtube video for checklist. The only caveat it says it's not available with Quick Start enabled.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:22 AM

Default Standardization

Gentlemen,

I would like to suggest standardization with all of your models. There is a reason why airlines use standardization. A pilot can hop in any of the aircraft that he is checked out to fly. Other than minor things per aircraft, everything else is the same as the previous jet he flew.
As a suggestion, my technique so that I don’t forget, especially if I haven’t flown that jet for a few months, is to set up every jet and switches the same. For me, I have all switches forward and away from my belly. So no matter what I am flying, I know that if all switches are forward, I am good to go. You may have all of the switches towards you. It doesn’t matter as long as every plane and jet are the same.
I have an 84 year old that I help that relies on the cheat notes per plane. I about got hit while flipping the 120cc prop to start. We hadn’t flown the plane for awhile and He had his notes wrong. When we thought that the choke was ON, it was actually OFF. This was because his servo driven choke was different on each of his planes. I tried to standardize him, but he is too old for change. Fortunately now, he has one gas plane that he’ll never fly. Only I will fly it and standardize it to my standards.
Anyway, having everything the same will help you remember as you get older, and for planes/jets that you don’t regularly fly. You also don’t have to keep cheat sheets.
Just a suggestion.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 11-11-2022 at 10:59 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RCFlyerDan:
blackcat (11-13-2022), majoy (11-09-2023), Springbok Flyer (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 10:21 AM

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Standardisation, could’nt. agree more having been dual rated on the 737-200 and -300 and the 757 and 767.
That said, for critical functions, use the very capable speech function of the Core.
On my Core , with a Competition SR2 installed in a Sea Fury with Moki 250, it announces “Choke on” “Choke off “: “Ignition ON, be careful “ Easy to set up and SO useful and safe.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Standardisation, could’nt. agree more having been dual rated on the 737-200 and -300 and the 757 and 767.
That said, for critical functions, use the very capable speech function of the Core.
On my Core , with a Competition SR2 installed in a Sea Fury with Moki 250, it announces “Choke on” “Choke off “: “Ignition ON, be careful “ Easy to set up and SO useful and safe.
I used to hate a transmitter talking to me. Now it’s hard to live without. I have every switch announce what it is doing. The Core has excellent pronunciation too.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I switch brands of Transmitters more often than I’d like to admit, mostly just to try new things and find what I like and don’t like, but my last switch was to the PowerBox Core. I have a list of features/capabilities I prefer to have in a transmitter, and the Core was the only radio that had the most features found on my “wish-list”. So far, it has been my favorite radio out of the various brands I’ve used. I’ve tried inexpensive radios, expensive radios, open sourced OS, non-open sourced, etc. The Core continues to be intuitive to use (in my opinion) and program, provide excellent programming flexibility for aircraft (I only fly fixed-wing), has a great feature set, and great ergonomics (for me). The WiFi is a game changer and really enjoy updating the radio wirelessly and being able to update my receivers, etc. while they are in the aircraft. I never thought I’d also care about a touch screen, but I find it much quicker to program using it rather than the traditional button and/or scroll-wheel method. I also enjoy being able to customize the switches, like when I added a locking safety switch. Not many radio brands at the moment offer that type of customization and flexibility.

With that said, I do think PowerBox is hitting the ceiling with pricing on the Core and Atom, but that’s just my opinion. I know they came out with the Atom radio, which looks awesome and has most of the features that many people would want for a bit less cost than the Core.

I’ll tell you though, it would be difficult to want to go back to another brand of radio at the time of this writing (although I like other brands too and many worked just fine for me). I don’t have many things I’d change with the Core. If I were to wish for anything additional on the radio, it would be to include an internal Bluetooth module. Wearing one wireless earbud while flying can be absolutely awesome on a noisy flight line and lessens the chance of missing any radio call-outs.

Last edited by T_CAT; 11-11-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:15 AM

Atom has wifi
Old 11-11-2022, 11:26 AM

Atom has wifi
Awe, interesting, thanks. I was reading about it and the webpage mentioned it has an internal usb interface to use with an “optional” WiFi module. So, how does that work? Is the WiFi module offered (or an aftermarket one that can easily be found) as a separate unit by PowerBox, and do you have to open the radio up to install the WiFi module internally or do you have to plug in the WiFi module via USB outside of the radio?

The wording makes it sound like an optional WiFi module must be acquired and used to get WiFi operational.

Last edited by T_CAT; 11-11-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:40 PM

It's internal, same as the Core
Old 11-11-2022, 12:56 PM

It's internal, same as the Core
Awesome, thank you for confirming .
Old 11-11-2022, 01:39 PM

I LOVE being able to update everything that is PB through the transmitter! WiFi is a huge asset!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.