Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Old 02-24-2023, 03:15 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CostasV
Software/Firmware application v3.00 is now available for the Core.

Also an update to the Linux kernel (v2) is also available for upgrading the Tx.

Some handy new features added and bug fixes sorted.

Update is the easiest of any Tx I have ever used... Connect to your Wifi router or phone (WiFi hotspot) press the relevant update button, it downloads the files and then prompts the user to restart radio... easy as...!!
Okay I'm confused.....

I checked the tx for an update and it downloaded one. On install it said the new software was Ver. 2.99 and I did not see anything about updating the kernel. None of the other software update options were selectable. Do you suppose that the update for the CORE in Australia might be different than the USA update?
Old 02-24-2023, 03:17 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Zeeb,

hold the Operating System for 2-3 seconds, then do that update. Do the normal restart and don't touch anything. Then it will go to 3.0
Old 02-24-2023, 03:18 PM
AEROSHELDON

Also, for some reason I needed to put my wifi password in after the update, and then turn auto off and on for the time and then it got it.

Good luck Zeeb, let us know how it goes.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:44 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Guys

My operating update went to 2 and not 3. am i missing something ?

Behzad
Old 02-24-2023, 04:04 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Also, for some reason I needed to put my wifi password in after the update, and then turn auto off and on for the time and then it got it.

Good luck Zeeb, let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the help. When you said that you had to re-enter your password, I started looking for an OS update which I found on the list of things in the tx. It was still on 1.0 so I hit the update button for the OS and it did its thing. It now shows 2.0. Afterward I had to update my network password and you have to remember that goes on the top line of the connection box on the right side of the screen, not the bottom box where it asks for a password. Switching from automatic to manual did not change anything.

After that the software system switched to 3.0. Now I'm not sure if updating the OS first would make any difference but I have to admit that I'm disappointed with PB over this whole software update situation. While I thought I was signed up for notifications of updates, I never see anything from PB. If I don't pick them up on this forum, I never hear about them. Then this issue with needing to select two items from the update list not being mentioned leaves us old guys out in the dark.

Thanks for the help AEROSHELDON!

Last edited by Zeeb; 02-24-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:05 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Hi Guys

My operating update went to 2 and not 3. am i missing something ?

Behzad
Yep, see my post for AEROSHELDON.

You also have to update the software version so there are TWO updates necessary..... hope that helps.

Last edited by Zeeb; 02-24-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:30 PM
AEROSHELDON

You are weclome Zeeb.

I find out because I sub to this thread:

https://forum.powerbox-systems.com/f...9991#post79991

And I got an email today and did the update. It has good instructions too.
The following users liked this post:
husafreak (02-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 04:36 PM
CostasV

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Thanks for the help. When you said that you had to re-enter your password, I started looking for an OS update which I found on the list of things in the tx. It was still on 1.0 so I hit the update button for the OS and it did its thing. It now shows 2.0. Afterward I had to update my network password and you have to remember that goes on the top line of the connection box on the right side of the screen, not the bottom box where it asks for a password. Switching from automatic to manual did not change anything.

After that the software system switched to 3.0. Now I'm not sure if updating the OS first would make any difference but I have to admit that I'm disappointed with PB over this whole software update situation. While I thought I was signed up for notifications of updates, I never see anything from PB. If I don't pick them up on this forum, I never hear about them. Then this issue with needing to select two items from the update list not being mentioned leaves us old guys out in the dark.

Thanks for the help AEROSHELDON!

Sounds like you have it all sorted now Zeeb....

The update was only relased last night Aussie time so not sure if PB have had a chance to notify everyone via email etc.

Its not really a critical update as such but it is meant to resolve the odd freeze/locking up that some have experienced here and there.

Normally the main Linux OS (kernel) does not get updated however in this case they traced the locking up to an issue within the OS itself which then necessitated an upgrade to fix it.

The process as you found out was to fist update the main application software to v2.99 then update the Linix kernel to v2.0.

During the Linux update the application software also gets updated to v3.0.

The loss of your WiFi password credentials during the main update is normal.

Also I have noted a bug with the speech audio when setting a new timer - They should be able to sort that out fairly quickly as they did perform some work on the speech section for the timers which looks like it has an error in it...

Quite a few existing bugs have been sorted with this release.

A few features added as well... For the servo matching afficionados, you now have 33 matching points available along the servo matching curves, also a great addition to the logical switches is some extra Boolean math functions which allow you to set, toggle and reset logical switch outputs.

Last edited by CostasV; 02-24-2023 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:43 PM
AEROSHELDON

I thought the speech on timer was messed up too, but a quick restart resolved it. Now I can hit a momentary button and it calls out time like it used to.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:48 PM
CostasV

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
I thought the speech on timer was messed up too, but a quick restart resolved it. Now I can hit a momentary button and it calls out time like it used to.
Try creating a new blank model and set a basic countdown timer for it.

If you set some recurring speech callouts say every 15 secs etc they simply do not work anymore.

Also if you have other speech callouts set eg flight modes, when you start the timer it then kills the speech for that as well. Restarting fixes the speech for the flight modes but starting the timer again kills the speech again...

Funny thing is that I can load an old model with timers and the speech works 100%. The fault is related to when you create a brand new timer that features speech callouts.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:57 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the update guys. As always I went to the PowerBox support forum and followed Richards update instructions. BTW I have never gotten an email notification for an update. I find out via the forums. System update to 2.99 was as usual. I logged back on to my WiFi but Linux update failed due toor poor or no WiFi connection. I logged back on after re entering my WiFi password at bottom of screen (no change to “network” at top of screen) and second attempt Linux download happened right away. Note that on restart after Linux download screen will be white for a minute.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:43 PM
CostasV

Originally Posted by husafreak
I logged back on to my WiFi but Linux update failed due toor poor or no WiFi connection.
Seems that some people have issues with the WiFi - do you know if yours was connected via 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz to your router...?

I have setup my router with two different access point names, one for the 2.4GHz WiFi and another different name for the 5.8GHz layer.

This way I can choose which one to login to.... So generally I just use the 2.4GHz WiFi connection which usually allows for better range in the house for this type of work eg wireless updating of software in devices etc.

Just as an aside....I had a friend who had WiFi issues at his place with many WiFi devices dropping out and refusing to work intermittently...Turned out everytime his microwave oven was operating nothing on his WFi network worked. His microwave oven was emitting spurious RF in the upper end of the 2.4GHz band. We simply changed his operating channels on his router to the lower part of the band and that fixed all his issues.

Last edited by CostasV; 02-25-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:00 PM
husafreak

I think the “no or poor WiFi” message was the CORE’s way of telling me to re enter the WiFi PW.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Richard explained this on the Powerbox forum.

The WiFi password is encrypted and stored in the Linux kernel, when you load the new Linux it wipes that out and you need to re-enter the pw where it will be stored once again
husafreak (02-28-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 09:13 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Richard explained this on the Powerbox forum.

The WiFi password is encrypted and stored in the Linux kernel, when you load the new Linux it wipes that out and you need to re-enter the pw where it will be stored once again
Exactly.
That said, I followed Richard’ s instructions to the letter and the upgrade was complete , zero problems, in about ten minutes.
I particularly like the enhancement of servo position to 32 points. It makes PRECISE matching of hard coupled servos as on my 2 Air World Hawks very straightforward. This was one of the much appreciated features of the Weatronic system.
Great job, Richard and team, well done!

PS. I have never received an email re updates, checking the forum at regular intervals solves that problem !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 02-26-2023 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:20 PM
CostasV

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
particularly like the enhancement of servo position to 32 points.
Actually, 33 Points if you want to get real technical about it...

I like the addition to the virtual switch options as it allows for more complex switching features.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:24 AM
David Gladwin

Originally Posted by costasv
actually, 33 points if you want to get real technical about it...

i like the addition to the virtual switch options as it allows for more complex switching features.
yes, 33 !

Old 02-28-2023, 09:54 AM
BarracudaHockey

3.1 is out to fix the voice issue with 3.0

Linux Application: V3.10

Transceiver: V1.44

Stickcontroller: V1.5
  • New voice outputs issue fixed
  • Toggle switch issue fixed in the voice settings
  • White background antenna symbol corrected

If you are not already at operating system 2.0, please follow the update manual, else perform a regular update!
Springbok Flyer (02-28-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 01:36 AM
David Gladwin

Update to 3.1 very quickly achieved.
It may be coincidental , but, connection to WiFi since 3.0 seems much quicker than it ever was !
Old 03-01-2023, 08:46 AM
husafreak

In order to download 3.1 I had to re enter my home wifi PW into the upper right "Network" box. So maybe the no or poor wifi message was just that. Bec cause in this case the wifi just refused to connect. Anyway, success eventually. Thanks for the heads up on the latest band aid.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:06 AM
BarracudaHockey

The wifi connection is stored in linux, if you did the kernel update it would have wiped out your wifi configuration, once you enter it again it will be saved.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:24 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by husafreak
In order to download 3.1 I had to re enter my home wifi PW into the upper right "Network" box. So maybe the no or poor wifi message was just that. Bec cause in this case the wifi just refused to connect. Anyway, success eventually. Thanks for the heads up on the latest band aid.
It's a bit confusing on where the PW goes as there are two empty boxes looking for one. The only one that works for me is the top box on the right side screen as I mentioned above. Putting it in the lower box has never worked for me, in fact I do not remember even being able to enter anything in that box. Top box will show up as "stars" when you enter the PW, usually only four of them no matter how long the PW is in length.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:08 PM
CostasV

Hi Zeeb... The top box RHS is where it needs to go as you have noted.

The two bottom fields are only for their future cloud portal login and not for your normal/local WiFi connection.

Idea being is that PB will have some internet accessible server where you can upload/store/download models, setups etc.

When they introduce this feature you will need a specific login username and password for their portal so this is where you would enter that detail.

Last edited by CostasV; 03-01-2023 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 05:42 AM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are opinions on the tray versus non-tray version? Curious how many are using the tray. I need to replace my aging 14mz. So I am basically looking at this and the 32mz. I seem to upgrade every 10 years so will stick with it. Been flying Futuba since I started in the 90’s but honestly not brand agnostic. I have a spektrum for my bind and fly and smaller models. I have transitioned more to pinch partly because learning heli’s pushed me there and I do see the difference. I do like the feel of a tray so leaning that way but admit I haven’t used one full time yet.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:19 AM
BarracudaHockey

I think if you're pinching you probably want to look at the tray. I fly a kind of hybrid pinching the right stick and thumbing the left and find it pretty easy with the hand held which is what I own, with a neck strap.

Though I can also just grab it without a neck strap and fly thumbs.

The biggest difference with Futaba is how utterly simple it is to program even complicated setups.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.