Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Old 09-02-2023, 12:19 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi all,

I have a problem getting an electronic on/off switch to work with my Core and a Psb8E receiver. Allow me to explain:

- i am busy converting some of my old glow engined models from servo operated glow switches to electronic switches. The reason being that when I forget to switch off the glow, then the glow battery get drained if it is servo& micro switch activated. Whereas with an electronic switch it also switches off when I turn off my Tx.

- the model I am having the problem with is working perfectly with the servo activated micro switch, but when I plug in the electronic switch it does not work. Then when I plug the electronic switch into a servo tester, it works perfectly.

- non of the Tx settings have been changed and are set from -100% to +100% travel.

Please tell what I am missing.

Thanks,

JanR
Old 09-02-2023, 03:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

The first and most obvious question is, does the servo monitor screen support what you're seeing with the switch?

Maybe 100/100 is too much? Try 80/80 at 100 the pulse width is wider than most radios
Old 09-02-2023, 06:18 PM
Springbok Flyer

Andy,

Thanks for your suggestion - helpful as always!

I have now played around with the servo travel % and it is finally working. However, just to check I have gone to another model with exactly the same setup (working fine) and the servo travel is completely different. So I am confused as to why the one work and the other one does not.

Anyway, I am just glad to have it working.

Cheers,

JanR
Old 09-03-2023, 04:07 AM
CostasV

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Some of these switches (usually the cheaper ones) tend to have slightly varying switching thresholds between units which may explain it.

Like Andy mentioned - 100% travel on a Core/Atom is actually a little more travel as compared to other radios eg 85% on my Core is approx 100% travel on my Futaba.

The following users liked this post:
Springbok Flyer (09-04-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 04:16 AM
BarracudaHockey

I mean if you really wanted to track it down you could swap switches out and see if the thresholds change.

I'm pretty confident the radio isn't the issue and as Costas mentioned its likely just an inconsistency between the switches
Springbok Flyer (09-04-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 03:55 PM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Just because I’ve never done this it would be good to see a video on it and how to interpret the data.
Exactly everyone else could do their own tests and post the results, but I'm sure few would rather they pickup a stone, egg and slander him and his company.
It's a very sad world we live in to discredit a man who was just doing a test.
I would imagine that guys like David Gladwin are funded partly or fully by PowerBox or he is a good friend of the current owner. He probably has invested interest in this brand!!!!!!!!..... to be this arrogant....
uncleTom (09-05-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 03:58 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks
Exactly everyone else could do their own tests and post the results, but I'm sure few would rather they pickup a stone and egg and slander him and his company. Very sad world we live in to discredit a man who was just doing a test.
I would imagine that guys like David Gladwin are funded partly or fully by PowerBox orhe is a good friend of the current owner. He probably has invested interest in this brand!!!!!!!!..... to be this arrogant....

I was talking about downloading data to the Terminal from the Core.... but yeah I did also jump in and say that the Lighter Side of RC was just an un-scientific test for fun... I will not stop using my Core over it and I doubt anyone ever would.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:55 PM
Skunkwrks

They have been phoning them since the video was released......
Old 09-04-2023, 12:00 AM
David Gladwin

Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks;12782265
I would imagine that guys like [u
David Gladwin[/u] are funded partly or fully by PowerBox or he is a good friend of the current owner. He probably has invested interest in this brand!!!!!!!!..... to be this arrogant....
Your imagination is leading you astray, better keep it under wraps.
I have met Emmerich a couple of times, never met Richard.
I am funded by no-one, (I do not need or want sponsorship ) except I do get a small payment from RCJI for my contributions there.
Yes I I do have a vested interest in PowereBox, I have spent considerably, my money, in transferring my fleet from now ageing Weatronic to Core, a system for which I have great admiration from a firm I hold in very high regard.
To comment on matters you clearly know nothing about, now that IS arrogance. Please desist.
The following 2 users liked this post by David Gladwin:
jcterrettaz (09-04-2023), Smokeyr67 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 01:15 PM
frankie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The simple fact is that most 2.4ghz users don't know the difference between node and patch type antennae-or what their current transmitter is using for that matter... The original Weatronic Radio Manual (from what I understand is what the PB radio's are based on) contained diagrams and literature on their use and the advantages of patch antennae, etc.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:16 AM
David Gladwin

Spot on Frankie.
The Weatronics manual, all 87 pages, also has some very useful info on receiver aerial positioning, orientation and location for 2.4. equally applicable to Core and Atom.
It is available on acejets.co.uk
Here is a sample

Last edited by David Gladwin; 09-05-2023 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 11:43 AM
David Gladwin

I have found quite a few videos on the Core operation whilst looking for JWM reports.
modellpilot.eu is the location and there is a considerable number of excellent videos from Italy, where theCore seemed popular !
The site has over 12,500 videos available, well worth subscribing to and you get a

weekly update, all free !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 09-10-2023 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:29 PM
Skunkwrks

Question

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
To comment on matters you clearly know nothing about, now that IS arrogance. Please desist.
David, we all are invested in radios it's seems you take it more personally than others ......... Please desist your comments as they lead to slanderous remarks.
I met the owner in Oct 2017 at Tuscon, Arizona, very nice man who had programmers fine-tune the system for everyone, even you to use.
That was about two years before the Core was released to the public.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:21 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Spot on Frankie.
The Weatronics manual, all 87 pages, also has some very useful info on receiver aerial positioning, orientation and location for 2.4. equally applicable to Core and Atom.
It is available on acejets.co.uk
Here's the link to the manual: Weatronic User Manual
Old 09-26-2023, 08:09 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I had an inflight shutdown last Saturday at an airport open house/airshow event. Deadstick landing went OK. But the shutdown was comanded by the radio! Three times in a short period a zero (stick down trim down) signal was recieved by the ECU. I didn't do it! LOL So maybe a Failsafe (hold) situation? Of course mine was the last flight and airport officials were very anxious to get me off the runway, NOTAM's and all that, so I didn't even look at the CORE, I figured the problem was in the turbine. Now I've gone back to look at the log files in the CORE and it hasn't recorded a flight log in several months. The file manager shows my SD card with 13.78 GB free and 13% used so I guess there is a limit to how much it is permitted to use for Log files? Is regular housekeeping required, I mean do I need to periodically erase old log files in order for the transmitter to record current flights? Some of my stuff, the Kingtech KT320 in the Mephisto for instance, just save the last four engine runs, it appears that the CORE does not use that kind of logic. I figure you guys may be able to fill me, more than the manual, in so thank you in advance.

Last edited by husafreak; 09-26-2023 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:24 PM
CostasV

Glad to hear that you got it down safely...

Ensure thst you have not accidently disabled logging in the Settings/System menu as there is an option to Enable/Disable logging. I always leave it set to Enabled.

If set to ON then the Tx should always generate log files every time the chosen model is switched on ie bound and controlled by the Tx.

The Tx will not generate any log files if the model itself is not switched on however it will create an empty directory for any particular day you may have switched on the Tx but did not connect and control any models with it.

The Tx will delete old logs automatically after they reach a limit of 30 logs. Note that it is '30' logs however logs can consist of multiple files...! So basically 30 flights worth of data is stored on the internal SD card before the old logs/flights are overwritten.

Old files are deleted first as new ones are recorded, so the Tx manages these automatically etc.

13GB is stacks of free space for log files, so that will not be the issue.

Did you have any widgets setup on your screen so that you could/can review RF performance directly after the flight using the Min/Max features...?

Last edited by CostasV; 09-27-2023 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:41 AM
BarracudaHockey

The first thing I would do is bring up the servo monitor and start switch flipping watching the throttle channel and make sure you didn't tie something to a switch inadvertently. I had a guy shutting down every time he went full flaps to land, turns out he set the trim to the flight mode by mistake.

Next lets see what your radio fail safe settings are
Old 09-27-2023, 07:36 AM
husafreak

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
The first thing I would do is bring up the servo monitor and start switch flipping watching the throttle channel and make sure you didn't tie something to a switch inadvertently. I had a guy shutting down every time he went full flaps to land, turns out he set the trim to the flight mode by mistake.

Next lets see what your radio fail safe settings are
Done, there is no interaction between the throttle channel and switches. I know what you mean though. When this jet was first set up, years ago, it was also my first experience with the CORE. Imagine my surprise when I switched flight modes and the turbine shut down. It was the first run, just a taxi and range test, whew. For what it's worth this is now a four year old jet with about 30 hours of flight time.
I have throttle and smoke set to failsafe off. The Kingtech only records throttle position, it went to off 3x in a short period of time.

@CostasV I do have widgets and I'm mad that I didn't review them. My bad, extenuating circumstances I assumed it was a simple flameout, never assume.. Finding out the shutdown was commanded is a big surprise. In settings/system I have data logging on. I realized that the date stamps were wrong, I had my CORE set to manual and it lost the correct date, so I set it to automatic. But what is really odd is that while I have "stacks" of old logs, seeing flights I just did recently in the last week or so, there are no logs for my turbine flights on my BVM F-16 Friday or the Mephisto Saturday! But operating the Mephisto just now dutifully generated a log file, What is going on? I don't think I will be able to recover the flight but going forward I will be tracking the log files every time I fly just to see if they are produced.

We are quite concerned here that the RF environment at the airport in question is badly polluted, at least on the main runway. Last year at this same event my flying partner (formation flying) aborted both his demo flights after takeoff when his Jeti radio started shouting warnings about signal quality after takeoff. My CORE worked fine, more fades than normal though. This year he declined to participate but we have been doing this for about 5 years, it is only now becoming a problem.

Last edited by husafreak; 09-27-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:49 AM
husafreak

Going forward I'll be looking to add a verbal warning (if possible) for exessive fades or any holds. If it is possible, like on my friends Jeti. And move the holds widget to page 1. Maybe even install the Kingtech VSpeak module I purchased years ago!

I noticed a Fast Start option in settings/system, it is set to off. Is there any concern about turning it on? Seems like it would be nice.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:52 AM
BarracudaHockey

You're going to get some that love it and some that hate it. I disable it, i figure most times if the turbine shuts down there's a reason.

I saw Andrew Jesky's 4m Leonardo burn to cinders because it did an auto restart in dried grass and set the field on fire.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:22 AM
AEROSHELDON

'Cuda I think he means the fast start on the Core, and I use that. The only danger to my models is if the retract switch gets bumped to 'up' in the case and I don't get the verbal because the computer system isn't booted. That hasn't happened, but it could.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:38 AM
BarracudaHockey

'Cuda I think he means the fast start on the Core, and I use that. The only danger to my models is if the retract switch gets bumped to 'up' in the case and I don't get the verbal because the computer system isn't booted. That hasn't happened, but it could.
Oh crap LOL

I thought he meant Auto-Restart on the turbine. In my defense it was early and I was only finished with my first cuppa.
AEROSHELDON (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 12:31 PM
CostasV

Originally Posted by husafreak
We are quite concerned here that the RF environment at the airport in question is badly polluted, at least on the main runway.
Always a good idea to keep an eye on the Link Quality Indication (LQI) parameter. If you ever see this drop to low values but your RSSI is still reasonably good then it can be indicative of interference as being the cause.

Last edited by CostasV; 09-27-2023 at 01:21 PM.
husafreak (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 02:29 PM
AEROSHELDON

Costas V, I have been watching your You Tube vids and they are excellent!

I'd love to see one on the differential widget... but I always love to learn more and you do a great job.

Everyone here should subscribe like I did.....

The following 2 users liked this post by AEROSHELDON:
CostasV (09-28-2023), Len (11-15-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 03:21 PM
Springbok Flyer

Costas V, I have been watching your You Tube vids and they are excellent!

I'd love to see one on the differential widget... but I always love to learn more and you do a great job.

Everyone here should subscribe like I did.....
Costa,

Can you please post a link here?

Cheers,

JanR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.