Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

ME 163 Komet Please Help

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

ME 163 Komet Please Help

Old 03-11-2019, 05:54 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ME 163 Komet Please Help

I recently acquired an 80% complete ME 163 Komet and am keene on finishing and flying it. The only issue is I have zero information about the airplane. I have managed to dig up some info via google, but not at the level of details I need and not the particulars to help make for a safe maiden. From what I have seen I believe it is the joe Saitta <sp> version but can't be sure. As such I am counting on the wisdom of RCU to come to the rescue. Here are the particulars;

Wingspan" about 84"
Length: about 50"
Construction: classic formers and stringers with what feels like a built up balsa wing glassed sheeted and painted.
Power" This one is set up for electric tractor with the motor in it but I don't know what motor it is as i have no access.

The ideal situation would be if someone can identify the maker of the kit (see pictures below) and by some miracle has an instruction booklet or plans or knows where I can find them. OR answers to any of the questions below.

-Where should I set the C of G?
-How in the world do I take the forward fuselage off to access the motor? I can wiggle it slightly but don't see any visible fasteners other than two nuts on two small screws visible from the backside. I figured I would ask before i started taking things apart, but that's next
-I assume it flies with elevons, any idea on the throws?
-The ailerons seem to be top hinged and only move down a fraction of the amount they move up. is that normal for this airplane?
-Plane has no flaps or spoilers, do I need to cut some into the wings?
-I see no area for cooling air to get in and around the motor or to cool the ESC and batteries, as a rocket plane I know that was a non issue but would be curious as to if there is an optimal location for what is going to be non-scale cooling holes
-Plane did not come with the dolly, pictures of one I could make would be great

That will get me started.

Thanks in advanced for any and all possible help you can provide.

Anthony
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ME 163 Front View.pdf (3.58 MB, 68 views)
ME 163 Side View.pdf (877.4 KB, 45 views)
ME 163 Inside.pdf (849.2 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by AAbdu; 03-11-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a Sunshire manual for their 163.

https://www.sunshine-modellbau.de/su...50-mm-voll-gfk

Regards,
Attached Files
Me 1631-3.5 Englisch-final.pdf (1.84 MB, 29 views)

Last edited by Halcyon66; 03-11-2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: atachment
Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I’m guessing that front nose section comes off via the fasteners you see on the backside of what I’ll call the firewall for the purpose of identification. That or it’s twisted on via keyhole fasteners.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 PM
AAbdu

My German is a little rusty, but the sunshine manual certainly won't hurt.

Thank you for
Old 03-11-2019, 09:00 PM
AAbdu

Keyhole fasteners actually make a lot of sense. I'm just scared to twist it hard enough to find out, in case I'm wrong
Old 03-12-2019, 06:18 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ghost squadron used to operate a couple of large ME 163s with tractor IC engines maybe Zenoah 38s.

John Greenfield who was the driving force behind the squadron is still active and might be able to help with throws etcetera. He can be contacted through Gs Home page
Old 03-12-2019, 06:36 AM
AAbdu

J. Duncker, that is a great lead! i will reach out to them now.

Thank you so much
Old 03-12-2019, 12:45 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Tony,

That Komet was built from J. Kiehl's plans by Tom Ranta. He sold it to Jack Swint (with dolly). I'm not sure where it went after Jack passed away, perhaps to John Shoemaker.

I have a copy of the plans if you'd like to borrow them. They will answer most of your questions. It flies with elevons, no flaps or spoilers are necessary. The plane is a floater. The best way to land it is to cut the power and glide it in like a dead stick.

You've probably seen me fly my turbine powered one at the Pilgrims field. Mine is a Joe Saitta, which is basically the same plane with a fiberglass fuse. Mine of course has been modified for turbine use.
Call me if you'd like to borrow the plans. The first picture is the dolly I made, the second is what is shown on the turbine plans. Yours may need to attach to the plane differently.

Joe McCarthy
734-658-6092

Old 03-12-2019, 01:47 PM
AAbdu

Joe,
That is absolutely perfect!!!! I was going to ask you about yours at the field, but I don't even pretend to go out unless it's 60 degrees or warmer (I hate cold weather), so I figured it would still be about 6 weeks before I would see you.

I appreciate the background on the plane, one of the reasons I bought it is because I always liked how yours flew! You are 100% correct, I bought it from John Shoemaker. I intend to finish it and fly it with pride.

I would love to borrow the plans, and make copies. I will give you a call. Is there a time that's best for you?

Thanks again
Old 03-12-2019, 02:45 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Tony,

Call me any time. I don't think that I'll be at the field for a while either.

I believe the aileron throws are about +/- 1" and elevator +/- 1 1/4" but I'll check it the next time I have the plane together.

Joe