Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba 32 coming.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba 32 coming.

Old 06-27-2020, 04:20 PM
Levi Wags

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by rc4flying View Post
If I may ask, In what way is the 32 and better radio ?
Also, Is the programming from the 18 MZ easily transferable to the 32MZ ?
Thanks.
Hey Joe. First Iíll start with the things that I found lacking with the 32. As Fender said there is no camera now. I uploaded model pics from SD card but I can see his frustration with not being able to snap a quick photo of your model. The main thing I donít like is there is no CD dial anymore (centre one on front of TX). I found this dial handy for nose steering trim during taxi out. With the 32 Iíve had to move steering trim to an unused trim tab, it works but not as user friendly.
Things I like better over the 18: the new top screen that stays illuminated all the time so itís easy to see timer and telemetry during flight. The new TX aerial locks up and down and is better than the old one, my 18 aerial got loose over time and wouldnít stay in the position I put it, this wonít be a problem with the new design. I love the new slider positions on the back of the TX (I use these for LEF and flap) and the switches next to them. I will try to post some pics of these so you can see.
As I said to Fender there is some new menus and boxes that are blank so it looks like Futaba have some updates planned for new stuff. Thatís about it mate. Itís not much better but I have found it better. Having said that an 18MZ would satisfy my needs forever.
The program change from the 18 to 32 is seamless. I had not even one click of trim change. I bound receivers, then just to make sure I did learn RC on turbine again, range check and confirm failsafe and thatís it.
To summarise: in my opinion if you have a perfectly good 18MZ itís not worth a change, if you need a new TX then it is worth the 32.
Fender, copy that mate I understand. And just so everyone knows I have nothing to do with sponsors or the retail RC department, I am a painter by trade
Old 06-27-2020, 05:41 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Levi Wags View Post
Hey Joe. First Iíll start with the things that I found lacking with the 32. As Fender said there is no camera now. I uploaded model pics from SD card but I can see his frustration with not being able to snap a quick photo of your model. The main thing I donít like is there is no CD dial anymore (centre one on front of TX). I found this dial handy for nose steering trim during taxi out. With the 32 Iíve had to move steering trim to an unused trim tab, it works but not as user friendly.
Things I like better over the 18: the new top screen that stays illuminated all the time so itís easy to see timer and telemetry during flight. The new TX aerial locks up and down and is better than the old one, my 18 aerial got loose over time and wouldnít stay in the position I put it, this wonít be a problem with the new design. I love the new slider positions on the back of the TX (I use these for LEF and flap) and the switches next to them. I will try to post some pics of these so you can see.
As I said to Fender there is some new menus and boxes that are blank so it looks like Futaba have some updates planned for new stuff. Thatís about it mate. Itís not much better but I have found it better. Having said that an 18MZ would satisfy my needs forever.
The program change from the 18 to 32 is seamless. I had not even one click of trim change. I bound receivers, then just to make sure I did learn RC on turbine again, range check and confirm failsafe and thatís it.
To summarise: in my opinion if you have a perfectly good 18MZ itís not worth a change, if you need a new TX then it is worth the 32.
Fender, copy that mate I understand. And just so everyone knows I have nothing to do with sponsors or the retail RC department, I am a painter by trade
Thanks for taking the time to share your thought on the 32MZ over the 18MZ. I really liked the 18 a lot. It just felt so comfortable in my hands. Just trying to decide if picking up a new or used 18 that has been discontinued is what is best. I would just love to get a chance to hold a 32 just once. I just had my hands on a Powerbox Core radio and did not like the feel at all. I guess I just have to decide if I am going to take the leap and get back into flying.

Thanks again for taking the time to share this info.
Joe
Old 06-27-2020, 08:52 PM
Levi Wags

Joe anytime mate. I really like the feel of both in my hands. The 32 feels thinner because the sides taper in at 45 deg. Here are some photos and I’ve circled the sliders and additional switches.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:54 PM
Levi Wags

The second photo here shows the new section in the radio I was talking about. Not sure what it will be.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:10 AM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

In the last photo you posted, the screen is labeled "User Menu". Is it possibly used like on the 18mz, to list screens used most of the time as a short cut. So as to not have to go through all the menu screen. You can refer to page 39 in the 18mz manual.

Also, can you adjust the sliders without moving the other when using one of the sliders ?

Thanks for posting pics.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:43 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehannah View Post
Hi
Ok Call me a grumpy twat, old fashioned etc. But why would I want another screen showing telemetry, in fact other than monitoring critical function on a plane , eg. Rx battery voltage. Signal strength , main battery status on an electric plane, turbine battery status why would I want to festoon my plane with other functions? More weight, more wring, more to go wrong etc.
why would I want a separate screen showing telemetry only .at all. When I am flying I donít take my eyes off the plane from take off to roll out. If I do the slippery critter tries to hide in plane sight.
All my telemetry is on Alarms so that is the threshold is broken I know without looking down.
I am a long term user of Futaba and I will probable buy this eventually, to replace my faithful 18mz. But if you look past the slick marketing, it appears IMHO just an 18 mz with a new screen tacked on and a minor firmware rewrite. Priced above the competition.

just my opinion, interested to hear others opinion,

Mike
I rely on telemetry to tell me my turbine status during start so I don't have to have the GSU connected. Telemetry warns me of turbine battery issues, informs me of rx battery status, etc. NONE of it adds any weight, ok, maybe an extra ounce in wiring. and if telemetry goes wrong, it's not like the jet is going to crash...
Old 06-28-2020, 04:52 AM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by swk550 View Post
I am very satisfied with. Sticks are silky smooth. The case is slightly smaller than my 18mz wc. I like the revised menu options and rx link model match. No more flying on a wrong model.
It only took Futaba 13 years to longer come up with Model Match technology than the competition? Impressive...
Old 06-28-2020, 04:53 AM
bodywerks

Does the transmitter still only have one antenna? If so, still years behind the competition...
Old 06-28-2020, 05:24 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (75)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rc4flying View Post
If I may ask, In what way is the 32 and better radio ?
Also, Is the programming from the 18 MZ easily transferable to the 32MZ ?
Thanks.
If I remember, itís easy, just insert your 18mz memory card and then copy models to the 32mz. After that, I inserted the 32mz card and copied to the original card.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:57 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
Does the transmitter still only have one antenna? If so, still years behind the competition...
Is not it just the other way?, that is that competition needs two antennas for getting the same link robustness. By the way, Futaba does offer transmitters with two antennas: T6K and T10J. T12K. T14SG, T16SZ, T18SZ, T18MZ and T32MZ suffice one antenna... too many transmitters sold today so as to believe that their one antenna layout is really a problem!
Old 06-28-2020, 10:16 AM
olnico

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some competitors have multiple antennas because they have dual or triple RF links.
This enables dual or triple redundancy to one of the weakest link in the safety chain.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:40 AM
jescardin

Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post
Im not huge on telemetry but but it needs to be easier to use when I do so maybe the 32 improved that, I typically only use telemetry for my xicoy gear sequencer which gives me air pressure of the system. Receiver voltage is nice but since I use a power system it doesnt really tell you true voltage till its too late.
Well I think I may be of help about this. First of all, you may be sure Futaba telemetry is, by far, the easiest one to use. It is true that it is quite closed and that no many accessories manufacturers make their products compatible with Futaba telemetry as, perhaps, Futaba is not very open about their protocols but their telemetry sensors and accessories are very, very easy to use: you just have to connect and see data on your transmitter!

Of course, then you have a lot of options as there are several different situations for every type of model and pilot requirements and, as happens with channels, you have a limited capacity of data return (remember they call them "slots" against control channels). Aside of the number and type of sensors on the model you then have the ability of deciding how the information will be shown to you on the transmitter. You may decide on how many data should be shown on the screen (both on the T18MZ and T32MZ), if and how many will be heard from the transmitter and how long will it read such information and, finally, if you want to save the telemetry data on a SD card for you to study latter (very useful for fine tuning the flying timers on EDF, for example, aside if you decide using the Futaba voltage/current/capacity sensor). Again every of these capabilities have several adjustments so as to adapt to the pilot preferences: switch to star/stop hearing the data voice, switch to start/stop data recording on the SD card, possibility of voice data for all or for just a few of the sensors (you may decide so as not to be overcharged during flight only hearing those telemetry data not shown on the screens if you are a pilot who likes taking your eyes out of your plane, even for a moment, for a quick view of the sceen!), establishing alarms and corresponding off switches and several more that just at this moment I do not remember.

Finally your need for knowing the real voltage of your power system batteries is so easy and simple as using an "external voltage cable" for knowing the volt value of your number #2 battery -supposing battery #2 enters when #1 is low- or that cable plus a voltage sensor if you decide knowing both values in real time and for getting that, you only have to purchase both accessories and just connect the "external voltage cable" to the corresponding receiver connector and the voltage sensor to the S.BUS2 plug on the receiver. Then just switch on the transmitter, and bingo!...there are the data and you will "only" -I think it is the hardest part!- have to decide how to manage those regarding screen, voice and alarms.....

Last edited by jescardin; 06-29-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jescardin View Post
Well I think I may be of help about this. First of all, you may be sure Futaba telemetry is, by far, the easiest one to use. It is true that it is quite closed and that no many accessories manufacturers make their products compatible with Futaba telemetry as, perhaps, Futaba is not very open about their protocols but their telemetry sensors and accessories are very, very easy to use: you just have to connect and see data on your transmitter!

Of course, then you have a lot of options as there are several different situations for every type of model and pilot requirements and, as happens with channels, you have a limited capacity of data return (remember they call them "slots" against control channels). Aside of the number and type of sensors on the model you then have the ability of deciding how the information will be shown to you on the transmitter. You may decide on how many data should be shown on the screen (both on the T18MZ and T32MZ), if and how many will be heard from the transmitter and how long will it read such information and, finally, if you want to save the telemetry data on a SD card for you to study latter (very useful for fine tuning the flying timers on EDF, for example, aside if you decide using the Futaba voltage/current/capacity sensor). Again every of these capabilities have several adjustments so as to adapt to the pilot preferences: switch to star/stop hearing the data voice, switch to start/stop data recording on the SD card, possibility of voice data for all or for just a few of the sensors (you may decide so as not to be overcharged during flight only hearing those telemetry data not shown on the screens if you are a pilot who likes taking your eyes out of your plane, even for a moment, for a quick view of the sceen!), establishing alarms and corresponding off switches and several more that just at this moment I do not remember.

Finally your need for knowing the real voltage of your power system batteries is so easy and simple as using an "external voltage cable" for knowing the volt value of your number #2 battery -supposing battery #2 enters when #1 is low- or that cable plus a voltage sensor if you decide knowing both values in real time and for getting that, you only have to purchase both accessories and just connect the "external voltage cable" to the corresponding receiver connector and the voltage sensor to the S.BUS2 plug on the receiver. Then just switch on the transmitter, and bingo!...there are the data and you will "only" -I think it is the hardest part!- have to decide how to manage those regarding screen, voice and alarms.....
I respectfully disagree about the ease of use of Futaba Telemetry devices at least the capacity/current sensor.
By far Jeti Telemetry is much better and very easy to setup. That along with a voice read out you can actually hear and adjust the volume level from a function on the Tx.
I loved my Futaba radios but I switched to Jeti for the expansive telemetry options and ease of programming.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:10 AM
jescardin

Bob, thank you very much for your opinion. Respect!

Jeti together with Power Box are the only systems I do not know well as they are not popular in my area. Of Jeti what I know well is that their top level radios do not offer touch screens yet and that their prices are not real, as you need paying later for updates and expansions! Power Box Core is promising but too new and I think it has many things to prove yet.

My telemetry knowledge gets Futaba, FrSly and Spektrum and here we joke with while many find it quite difficult making Futaba radios "to talk" others, simply, do not find the way to keep quiet their Spektrum ones! At my club there have been several problems when flying if there were more than one Spektrum radio due to their continue loud talking and alarms, making difficult to even hear the engines of the flying models!

Last edited by jescardin; 06-30-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:15 AM
HarryC

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

B
Of Jeti what I know well is that ............and that their prices are not real, as you need paying later for updates and expansions!
Completely untrue, all Jeti updates are free, even the update that made the 16 into a 24 channel Tx was totally free
Old 06-30-2020, 02:52 AM
jescardin

Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
Completely untrue, all Jeti updates are free, even the update that made the 16 into a 24 channel Tx was totally free
Untrue? Please, get a bit better informed before calling me a liar!.
First radio checked, first list of upgrades and expansions prices. Is perhaps not so on UK, "HarryC"?

Old 06-30-2020, 04:05 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

First radio checked, first list of upgrades and expansions prices. Is perhaps not so on UK, "HarryC"?

So your comparing Apple and oranges ......the DS12 is the cheapest of a long line of radios.........DS12, DS14, DS/DC16 and DS/DC24

the DS/DC 24 is the top and provide tons of better things then the 18 channels called 32.........telemetry is a walk in the park as much as you could possibly stuff into any jets....free FREQUENT update and nothing to upgrade....

the DS/DC 16 has the same exact software fully proportional 24 channels......but the chip has become a little too small for the progression and LUA which is fully able to run, but may struggle with the Biggest apps, while the 24 has an improve chips.....can run anything and everything.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:48 AM
jcterrettaz

Again time for a beer and chips ..radio talk show
Old 06-30-2020, 05:28 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And once again, another thread hijacked by the jeti-ites
Old 06-30-2020, 07:52 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by patrnflyr View Post
No I was just answering his wrong statement about the system......I have own Futaba and JR in the past...
The following users liked this post:
Smokeyr67 (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:57 AM
HarryC

Those are NOT updates, those are options on purchasing the DS-12. All updates are free.
The following 2 users liked this post by HarryC:
Dansy (06-30-2020), Smokeyr67 (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:45 AM
Auburn02

Originally Posted by patrnflyr View Post
This one was already hijacked months ago, but to be fair (this time at least) they were only validly correcting an incorrect assumption/statement by Mr. Cardin.
The following 3 users liked this post by Auburn02:
Dansy (06-30-2020), Smokeyr67 (07-01-2020), Springbok Flyer (06-30-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 06:05 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

I'll just say this, I have friends with Jeti.. one even has the Tray version. I think their soft ware is impressive but their Ergonomics not so good. I used both Tx types and I much preferred the Tray one.
But in both cases Jeti needs a better designed case in my opinion.
My 18 mz feels very natural in my hands. Sufficient room between stitches etc with out being clumsey.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:21 AM
jescardin

Originally Posted by Auburn02 View Post
This one was already hijacked months ago, but to be fair (this time at least) they were only validly correcting an incorrect assumption/statement by Mr. Cardin.
Thank you very much, Mr. "Auburn02" for your consideration.
Regarding the thread, well, first what I explained was described as "completely untrue, but then soon came all type o explanations:
- That those are not "updates" (even when on the own table are shown as "upgradables")
- Then I am comparing apples and oranges, as DS12 is not the top Jeti radio; well the comment for my "lie" just read "all Jeti updates are free but, after all, it seems not to be so with, at least, the DS12.
With all this what I would like is people think twice before using big words, as I personally always try to do. And I must put clear that I am always open to learn and be instructed by others, but not to be called a liar when I know well -at least as well as manufacturer and distributors explain, as I have never owned a Jeti- about what I am talking about!
Old 07-02-2020, 12:50 AM
HarryC

Thank you very much, Mr. "Auburn02" for your consideration.
Regarding the thread, well, first what I explained was described as "completely untrue, but then soon came all type o explanations:
- That those are not "updates" (even when on the own table are shown as "upgradables")
- Then I am comparing apples and oranges, as DS12 is not the top Jeti radio; well the comment for my "lie" just read "all Jeti updates are free but, after all, it seems not to be so with, at least, the DS12.
With all this what I would like is people think twice before using big words, as I personally always try to do. And I must put clear that I am always open to learn and be instructed by others, but not to be called a liar when I know well -at least as well as manufacturer and distributors explain, as I have never owned a Jeti- about what I am talking about!
What you quoted are optional extras on the purchase of a Tx. Those are NOT updates. It remains completely untrue that Jeti charges for updates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.