Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Savox servo whine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Savox servo whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 01:09 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Savox servo whine

I purchased a jet that has all Savox 500oz titanium geared digital servos. Setting up the control surfaces with a servo load amp meter, even at .15 amp, they make a ton of noise. My futaba servos are silent at rest. This plane is big, has double servos on elevator and leading edge slats. I've got them mechanically set perfectly with servo matching in the powerbox. Still just the weight of the elevator or the flap at rest makes them buzz. I've got the load under .15 everywhere at full travel, just bugs me to hear the sound.

What is the acceptable load at rest for our servos? I'm new to this amp meter, its bad ass!
Old 04-23-2019, 01:14 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Get used to it, they make a racket.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Savox servos are noisy, period. But you get used to it. At rest I like to see < .04 amps max to hold up a heavy surface (e.g Giant Aile with twin ganged servo). If the servos are under load, you could easily see a couple amps, depending on the sensitivity of the meter and duration of the load. That's exactly why I use Powerbox. 10 servos at 4 amps each is 40 amps. I am not comfortable with that degree of current on a typical Rxer buss. Digital servos are relatively power hungry. But Digital servos move a lot faster than analog and the loads can be in parallel versus analog servo loads are in series. Consequently loads on power systems with digital servos can stack up quickly. But back to your questions: Savox servos are just noisy!
Old 04-23-2019, 02:55 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, makes me feel better. This plane is set up with two lines of powerbus going down each side into Royal SRS with two 5000mah powerbox lipo's. Four powerbus adapters each with three servos on each one and they can handle 20amps each... Just have to get used to the damn noise!

Last edited by DrScoles; 04-23-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:33 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup they are just noisy, fantastic servos though.
Ive exclusively used 1256 and 1258s on many jets and have yet to be disappointed.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:24 AM
jjantti

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Savox servos seem to humm a lot but do work great other vise. I have been using them for years now. Just will not buy 1258 again. They seem to have a serie with weak motor bushings or something. I have scrapped few of them now because of squeeking on rapid movements. Does work OK but motor bearing seems to be worn after few tens of flights.

/Jyri