Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Gear Doors worth the weight and effort on Sport jet?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Gear Doors worth the weight and effort on Sport jet?

Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gear Doors worth the weight and effort on Sport jet?

So unfortunately at the Wings for Kids I had a ruff landing with my Havoc SS, the little lipo running the gear lost a cell right in the middle of pulling gear up.

Ripped a 3 gear out during landing, and I'm almost done with all the repairs, luckily for me I had a buddy who chrash his SS and did no damage to the wood formers in nose, so i cut out the hole nose wood structure and will replace with new one.

The damage in nose are was due to gear pulling back so I'm doing paint work no matter what.

So I was thinking would my Havoc SS with K210G2 benefit from gear doors?

Its got good speed but due to intake I don't think it would really go faster?

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Not worth the effort! KISS
Old 07-23-2019, 03:20 PM
FenderBean

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You’re asking opinion and opinion varies, I added gear doors to my rebel pro and it was simple to do. I enjoyed the look and function of them.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:23 PM
siclick33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you’re looking for a world speed record, or you like the look of them and can put up with the extra complexity and inevitable damage, then it might be worth it.

For normal sport flying I wouldn’t bother. Have a look at the crazy speeds of a high powered Ultra Flash and they don’t have doors. I don’t think it will do very much for top speed.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On a Havoc SS, gear doors are not going to do a thing for speed. Put 'em on if you like the look, but IMHO they are nothing but a pain in the you know were. It's bad enough to have to deal with gear doors on a scale model, why complicate life with what's supposed to be a really fun, LOW maintenance sport jet?

In short; 'ain't no way my Havoc SS is going to get gear doors unless it belongs to someone else when it happens..... lol
Old 07-23-2019, 04:12 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
On a Havoc SS, gear doors are not going to do a thing for speed. Put 'em on if you like the look, but IMHO they are nothing but a pain in the you know were. It's bad enough to have to deal with gear doors on a scale model, why complicate life with what's supposed to be a really fun, LOW maintenance sport jet?

In short; 'ain't no way my Havoc SS is going to get gear doors unless it belongs to someone else when it happens..... lol

Lol. Oh, ya right, ok I'll move on, thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 04:57 PM
FenderBean

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Never had any problems with mine, mains are mount to the struts like the shockwave and nose door was a simple servo operation. Mixing is in the radio so no extra equipment minus the mini servo.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:14 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Nope! KISS it, it's a sport jet, you will be much happier

Been there done that with scale, the answer still is, Nope, KISS it, it's a sport jet, you will be much happier

Last edited by CARS II; 07-23-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:16 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I removed all the doors on my F4 except main strut and nosegear. Gluded the inner fuselage door on permanently and cut a hole for the wheel to retract into. Didnt even notice it in flight. Life got good then.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:20 PM
erbroens

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nope...
Old 07-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The gear doors on the Ultra Lightning are the worst idea anyone ever had - I hate them. Please CARF make a replacement 'tub' for the mains and allow me to throw away the current gear doors.

JanR