Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rebel Hot by Comp Arf

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rebel Hot by Comp Arf

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 03:18 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered my Rebel hot a couple of weeks ago through Dave. I plan to use my X45 in it. One of our friends here in the North of England bought one of the original Pirroti models. He as a Kingtech 45 in it and it flies beautifully. Its quick enough IMO for a small model and the wing loading is light so it lands and handles superbly. I think it will be even lighter with the X45 in it.
John
Old 12-14-2019, 08:13 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Different strokes. My first turbine had about a .7:1 thrust ratio. Fun, sure. But not exciting. My second turbine has approximately 1:1 thrust ratio and does 180 straight n level. Exciting? Sure. But not exhilarating. My rebel will have at least 1.2:1 at take off and is a much cleaner airframe than anything else I own. I hope it's exhilarating!
Old 12-14-2019, 08:17 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks
The back of the tank is exactly on the CG point. Ive not seen too many jets with the tank over the CG. I usually CG jets with an amount of fuel in the tank that I expect to have still in it when I land. I usually land with around 1/3 of a tank in my other jets. This one, being so over-powered, I expect to land with a little under 1/4 tank, so I will CG it with a quarter tank.
I don’t get this but see it in the jet world all the time. You never hear about people CGing with fuel in the tank on a warbird or 3D plane but it’s really common on Jets for some reason. The manufacturer has to establish a baseline when they set the CG. Gear down, main tank empty, UAT full. They use that because everyone can put their plane in that configuration, the UAT should always be full so there will be no weight change from beginning to end of the flight. You can’t say “leave some fuel in the tank” because “some fuel” for this guy is different than “some fuel” for that guy. Once you do that your CG numbers although good for you maybe don’t correspond with anyone else or the original manufacturer suggested CG numbers. I realize we rarely end up using the manufacturer CG. Also if you go to re-CG it now you don’t have the exact same amount of fuel you had the first time. Wouldn’t it be better and more consistent to CG it with tanks empty and set the CG forward then you can adjust from there with a known configuration?

I’m not ranting here, just asking the questions and “thinking out loud” so don’t take it the wrong way.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Use the instruction balance to get it into the air and then adjust to suit your thumbs and feel. Everyone is different. I have people with jets that fly for 10-12mins with fuel available and they fly 6 mins and land. A bit like the CARF Viper balance mission i'm on, people have been flying this model super nose heavy for 6 years and don't seem to realise!
Old 12-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I hate nose heavy models. I have been very conscience about the position.
i still have room to move the motor and pipe rearward if needed.

BTW the bellmouth on the supplied pipe is huge it would very difficult if not impossible to use with the X45 as the motor would be halfway into the bellmouth! :0
Old 12-14-2019, 07:09 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by camss69
I don’t get this but see it in the jet world all the time. You never hear about people CGing with fuel in the tank on a warbird or 3D plane but it’s really common on Jets for some reason. The manufacturer has to establish a baseline when they set the CG. Gear down, main tank empty, UAT full. They use that because everyone can put their plane in that configuration, the UAT should always be full so there will be no weight change from beginning to end of the flight. You can’t say “leave some fuel in the tank” because “some fuel” for this guy is different than “some fuel” for that guy. Once you do that your CG numbers although good for you maybe don’t correspond with anyone else or the original manufacturer suggested CG numbers. I realize we rarely end up using the manufacturer CG. Also if you go to re-CG it now you don’t have the exact same amount of fuel you had the first time. Wouldn’t it be better and more consistent to CG it with tanks empty and set the CG forward then you can adjust from there with a known configuration?

I’m not ranting here, just asking the questions and “thinking out loud” so don’t take it the wrong way.
I always ran my 3D and IMAC plane tanks directly over the CG. I also completely understand your outloud thinking. I also know that I have never kept my CG at manufacturers recommended starting point. IMO, they are always noseheavy for my taste. If I cg mine at the recommended location with 'a little fuel in the tank' and find that it flies quite neutral on the maiden, I'll keep my flight short so as to keep more fuel in the tank.
I'm also only talking about doing this because I have a sneaky suspicion that even with my batteries as reasonably far forward as possible(3,000mah 3s ECU battery all the way up front and two 2s 1300mah rx batteries on the nose gear mount, which is as far as they can go without soldering up extensions), I may end up slightly tailheavy, and I don't want to add lead. If I can hit the recommended CG with a little fuel in the tank, I'll be fine maidening it as such. And if I find(for probably the first time ever) that the Rebel's recommended CG is perfect, I guess I'll have to solder up some extensions ;-)

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-14-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:30 PM
bodywerks

Not my cleanest install but it'll do. Just down to mounting satellites and batteries and connecting the gear and brakes once programmed.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Bob_B

How do you plan to get the canopy on with all those screw heads in the mating area? Its an optical illusion.

Last edited by Bob_B; 12-15-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:09 PM
bodywerks

Hmmm. fit fine earlier with them in when I tested it but I didn't look too close. I'll look at it. The capture hooks are over an inch forward of the forward-most screws and I believe the intake duct starts about where those forward screws are. I know for sure the receiver screws are well aft of that lip transition.
Worse case, ill drill relief holes in the canopy or do panhead screws.

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-14-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:14 AM
Dave Wilshere

That looks like you went for the heaviest everything! Be very interesting when you get a final weight.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:17 AM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
That looks like you went for the heaviest everything! Be very interesting when you get a final weight.
lol. Spektrum doesn't make anything over 9 channels that isn't a powersafe receiver. Xicoy weighs only a few grams more than Jp POS controller it came with, and I'm not running a gyro like the one comp-arf runs. And as stated, the sw80b is only 2-3 ounces heavier than the k45g2 that the demo plane used. And mine's tuned to 85N. I didn't get this jet to float around aimlessly. I'm pretty much a high speed, high energy aerobatic flyer. And I have a similar size jet that weights almost 20lbs at take off and flies/ lands fine, even with a 60n turbine.

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-15-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:44 AM
bodywerks

Just weighed it, less uat fuel. Just over 13lbs. Comp arf advertises a 6-7kg take off weight. Looks like I'll be about 7.3kg take off.
Not gonna be catching any thermals at that weight, but at 7.3kg take off with 8.5kg thrust, who cares!
I did all that weight conscious stuff back in my 3d days. A lot of effort for not a whole lot of improvement in flight performance.
it's honestly kind of funny to be on the opposite end of the spektrum now and watching people comment on how porky my plane is, lol.

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-15-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:47 AM
Dave Wilshere

Being fixed on the fact that another jet at 20lb was OK, does not mean this one will like being heavy!
Yes, thought it was strange Spekky dropped the 12ch normal Rx. I think you will miss the gyro in this particular model..its small
Old 12-15-2019, 07:54 AM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Being fixed on the fact that another jet at 20lb was OK, does not mean this one will like being heavy!
Yes, thought it was strange Spekky dropped the 12ch normal Rx. I think you will miss the gyro in this particular model..its small
It's a sport jet with almost the same wing area and span. Seems like a decent enough comparison.
I hardly consider a 0.5kg overweight plane heavy for this size, and as stated, thrust/ weight and speed with some aerobatic capability was my goal with this jet.
I have yet to fly a jet with a gyro, so there's nothing to miss.

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-15-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:06 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow.....you are certainly making a splash bodywerks.
I predict
- total destruction within the first few flights either through overstress or flutter
- the leaving behind of retract bits and pieces on landing attempts
- your blaming the manufacturers for "crappy " stuff
- not hearing from you again....

While I wish you luck in your irresponsible endeavour you are the one that give CDs nightmares
dw
The following users liked this post:
Mach1 (05-25-2022)
Old 12-15-2019, 08:08 AM
bodywerks

Lol, ok.
You've been at this game long enough to know that the JP gear controllers that are included in kits are junk, at least compared to xicoy.
Anyway, good chat.

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-15-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Dave Wilshere

I have over 100 flights on my Joker and the gear and controller have been faultless! Grass, tarmac...inc some 1945 stuff!
Old 12-15-2019, 11:53 AM
Bob_B

I have to agree with Dave my JP gear and controller in my Joker and my L 39 have been flawless you had an accident plugging in the battery the wrong way don’t fault the gear for that!
Old 12-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Dave Wilshere

Bob. It’s not uncommon, I have six Jokers around me and they have all been faultless. Like all gear, it’s how you prepare. I have customers who have blown up and burnt out the Rolls Royce Electrons!
Old 12-15-2019, 03:16 PM
bodywerks

I mean in terms of features.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:04 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Does anyone know the wing area for the Rebel Hot?
I didn't see it listed on the website
Just curious what ranges of wing loading is being discussed between the different equipment options
Old 12-15-2019, 07:59 PM
bodywerks

Good question. Compared to my HSD Viper, it is the same wingspan exactly, but the viper has a slightly thicker cord(maybe 1/8-3/16" thicker). Take off weight on it is nearly 20 lbs! But it flies surprisingly well, and I typically have a half-tank(roughly 25 ounces) left on landing and it literally FLOATS.
In the Pirotti thread there were a lot of 'over-built' and over-powered jets(one reporting a bone-dry weight of 5.72kg) in there and no complaints about flight or landing characteristics.

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-15-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:16 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks
Different strokes. My first turbine had about a .7:1 thrust ratio. Fun, sure. But not exciting. My second turbine has approximately 1:1 thrust ratio and does 180 straight n level. Exciting? Sure. But not exhilarating. My rebel will have at least 1.2:1 at take off and is a much cleaner airframe than anything else I own. I hope it's exhilarating!

Hope it holds together as a few have not, probably the Pirotti versions though.

Bob I am impressed at that weight, surprised me how light you got it.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:18 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by raydar
Bob I am impressed at that weight, surprised me how light you got it.
Thanks, I really did not do anything special. I just avoid using a lot of glue and I definitely subscribe to “Light is Right”!
Old 12-16-2019, 04:03 AM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Thanks, I really did not do anything special. I just avoid using a lot of glue and I definitely subscribe to “Light is Right”!
I'm sure you saw my signature. Kind of ironic, eh? That pic in my avatar is a 100cc aeroworks 260 from 12 years ago that I converted to electric with a Steve Neu M.O.M motor. Had a 24.5lb take-off weight, whereas typical gasser versions of it were 29ish. I also did one with a DA100 and got it down to 25.25lbs.
That was back when I had patience and for-thought. Now I just want to fly!
I, too, am very impressed with your AUW.
I know Mine is not light, but I have messaged back and forth with a few people in the Pirotti version thread that have 70n or larger and all are around 5.7-6.1kg dry weight, so I'm not too worried.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.