Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rebel Hot by Comp Arf

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rebel Hot by Comp Arf

Old 05-10-2020, 10:39 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Shipping companies don’t always have people with common sense making the decisions. I sent a package with Powerbox and servos in it to a customer that included a Robart air tank...in the scan it obviously showed the outline of a canister, Sending pressurised containers is prohibited so they said they incinerated the whole package!!
1 they put something they expected to blow up in a fire
2 I stated a pressure vessel can have no pressure in it and in this case it was no more dangerous than an open empty can of Cola...

I lost 100’s of pounds of stock and they refused to do anything about it...obviously I rarely use this company now.
The following users liked this post:
felker14 (05-18-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 03:50 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a PC21 turboprop from Luxembourg almost 2 years ago. Paid for plane and air shipping via PayPal. DHL delivered it to my home, no problems.
18 months later I get a letter from my state Department of Revenue stating that US customs informed them that I did not pay Import fees/taxes on the plane.
I was presented a large bill for taxes, back taxes, penalties and Interest.
Fortunately I was able to speak with a reasonable person at the Department of Revenue and she agreed to drop everything but the taxes/fees due, since I was never notified nor had ever come across this before buy8mg anything RC hobby related.
My PC21 is now the most expensive plane I ever purchased !
Old 05-11-2020, 03:56 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Bob, the throws for aileron that you posted are half what they had in the manual, should be a big difference thank you for posting. Is that where you have them set on yours? Also I re-balanced to be right on the spar with a full UAT and a little fuel, sound about right?
Gary
Old 05-11-2020, 04:28 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chevronflyer View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Just seems rediculous to get hit with a hazardous fee when nothing inside is.
I just ordered a fuel and smoke tank for my rebel pro from CMjets and requested that he doesn't use the word "fuel" on any of the paoerwork, just in case!
Old 05-11-2020, 11:57 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
I just ordered a fuel and smoke tank for my rebel pro from CMjets and requested that he doesn't use the word "fuel" on any of the paoerwork, just in case!
Still have a CMJ smoke tank for a 2M for $150 shipped if you want more
Old 05-11-2020, 12:04 PM
husafreak

UPS just sent me a bill, package held till paid, it was 18 bucks I think, not worth the trouble fighting it. I fought unsuccessfully with UPS years ago over a picture frame destroyed, not to mention the artwork, pictures, forms, more forms, phone calls, after 6 months denied. They suck.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:05 PM
husafreak

DW craziest shipping story ever award!
Old 05-11-2020, 09:17 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Gary Szetlak View Post
Bob, the throws for aileron that you posted are half what they had in the manual, should be a big difference thank you for posting. Is that where you have them set on yours? Also I re-balanced to be right on the spar with a full UAT and a little fuel, sound about right?
Gary
That'll be a little noseheavy, but a good start. I would run AT LEAST the factory recommended throws. If it's too sensitive for you, up the expo.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:38 PM
husafreak

That advice wouldn't work for me, but there you go, it's always down to personal preference. I usually end up running less travel and expo and more nose heavy than my flying buddies. But I've gotten a lot of compliments over the years for being smooth and precise. Hmmm. Swell head.
On another note one of my buddies showed up at our field with a new Rebel Hot last week and I was jealous! One fine day I'll own one. I still think I would go as light as possible, X45 and all that, but his jet (or his sons jet more like it) was loaded down with a Super Bee 85 they had and slowed right down for landing. T/O to OOS vertical, high speed passes at 1/3 throttle, pulling lots of G's flying a nice tight pattern with good visibility, there's nothing here not to love!
Old 05-11-2020, 10:57 PM
husafreak

Gary
We all sweat the maiden. Most times we are rewarded with an aircraft that flies "off the board" couple clicks of trim and done. It's a beautiful thing. But jets are expensive and potentially dangerous. I don't have a Hots but I am days away from the first flight on my Mephisto. On that jet I will have a set up for the first flight that will surely change later, call it a safety setting. You can't change the CG so you want to be conservative there. A little nose heavy. So on your Hots why not have three flight modes with various surface travels. Fly it, trim it, flip the switch, decide which rates work for you. then land and consolidate those rates to FM1. Now play with the CG a bit. I just put lead shot (used by scuba divers) in a zip lock bag tape it here or there. Have a few flights and make a decision. You can move your batteries and discard the bag of shot. Then assign different gryo gains to the FM switch, repeat the process. I say this because I believe the CARF Hots can fly beautifully, even without a gyro, stable, precise, and forgiving. Once that is your base setting in Flight Mode 1 I bet you can increase your rates (and expo's to keep the feel near stick center the same) and turn it into a wild thing for fun, aggressive, or extreme aerobatics by simply increasing the throws in you other flight modes. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm preaching, its just a method, I assume you all have had plenty of aircraft, if I get a Hots it will be my 6th jet, I follow this process for every airplane.
paulhat (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 02:44 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used these as a baseline. My actual aileron throw is 10/12 mm at the root I do run 35% expo
For elevator I am at 8/10 mm low rate and 10% expo Rudder Is 25 mm each way
Flap as recommended and the same for the Down elevator trim

I also have the stick priority set so as I reach near the end of stIck travel the gyro turns off.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:20 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by husafreak View Post
That advice wouldn't work for me, but there you go, it's always down to personal preference. I usually end up running less travel and expo and more nose heavy than my flying buddies. But I've gotten a lot of compliments over the years for being smooth and precise. Hmmm. Swell head.
On another note one of my buddies showed up at our field with a new Rebel Hot last week and I was jealous! One fine day I'll own one. I still think I would go as light as possible, X45 and all that, but his jet (or his sons jet more like it) was loaded down with a Super Bee 85 they had and slowed right down for landing. T/O to OOS vertical, high speed passes at 1/3 throttle, pulling lots of G's flying a nice tight pattern with good visibility, there's nothing here not to love!
All personal preference, I guess. I have heard in the background, "man that thing flies smooth", to "did he just do an negative 1-1/4 snap on the upline to a crossbox humpty with that jet". I also don't run a gyro. Mine has an 85 in it as well and I honestly wouldn't want any less. My rebel classic is getting a 170 and my rebel pro will likely get a 240-250N turbine. Differnt strokes...

Last edited by bodywerks; 05-12-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Gary Szetlak

Husafreak, I didn't sweat the maiden I 've been flying jets for over 20 years and RC in general over 40. This is probably my 20th Turbine jet and have maiden jets for many other people. I did have 3 rate settings that where all to high for a 15-20 mph windy day. I've reset them based on Bob_b's settings and will test tomorrow and report. Thanks for your input. more to come...
Gary
Old 05-12-2020, 12:49 PM
bodywerks

Husafreak, I didn't sweat the maiden I 've been flying jets for over 20 years and RC in general over 40. This is probably my 20th Turbine jet and have maiden jets for many other people. I did have 3 rate settings that where all to high for a 15-20 mph windy day. I've reset them based on Bob_b's settings and will test tomorrow and report. Thanks for your input. more to come...
Gary
gotta say, windy days on a small jet like this can get exciting. Especially if it's a cross wind. Only time I'd wish I had a gyro!
Old 05-18-2020, 06:01 AM
JohnMac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the UK government let us off the leash last week so I headed for the airfield. Put a couple of flights on my AD Diamond my get my "eye in" after not flying anything but RF9 for the duration of lockdown. I seemed to have remembered how to fly, so I got out my Rebel Hot and flew her. No drama except keep her close. My old peepers are a bit lacking these days. With the Xicoy X45 it is superb. I must say that it is a slippy model and is perfectly balanced on the controls. I have just removed a couple of ounces out of the nose, reduced the aileron travel and steering travel and its good to go next weekend..
Old 05-18-2020, 06:02 AM
Bob_B

+1 Love this model/turbine combo
Old 05-18-2020, 06:16 AM
Gary Szetlak

It does get small quick. I put 3 more flights on this week as well. Reduced aileron throw to 13mm and moved CG back. Still needs to go back some more. I've been landing with half a tank of fuel after 7 mins. With the Super Bee half throttle is more than enough for good flying. A few high speed passes and vertical zooms. It's a fun jet!
Gary
felker14 (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 07:09 AM
chevronflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine should arrive tomorrow, putting a k60 in it but I do have a k45 coming so maybe that’s a better option to keep it light
Old 05-18-2020, 07:28 AM
Gary Szetlak

It handles the weight of my install just fine but from what Bob_b has said and flying mine I think a 45 would be very good. A friend has one and I believe he has decided on the 45 as well.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:36 AM
bodywerks

Mine handles the sw80b just fine and it's exciting when I want it to be and docile when I need it to be. Pull vertical at half throttle, negative snap on the upline, go to full throttle and power through a humpty bump up top.
A friend has a 24lb Rebel classic that he maidened yesterday with a 100n turbine. Pretty lethargic and took a lot of runway to get off the ground. 'Luckily', the turbine self destructed in flight. He landed without issue and ordered a 140 for it.
Having the power and not needing it is always better than needing the power and not having it, imo.
I just picked up a Rebel classic and rebel pro. Classic gets a 170 and pro gets a 220.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:10 PM
chevronflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just arrived
bodywerks (05-19-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 10:46 AM
LewisE1

Where have people ended up with c of g ? About to maiden mine in the coming days
Old 05-23-2020, 12:43 PM
Bob_B

I am at the back edge of the wing tube without fuel in the model

Last edited by Bob_B; 05-23-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:28 PM
LewisE1

Thanks
Old 05-24-2020, 09:25 AM
bodywerks

Same. Can probly stand to go back a bit from there but it's a good starting point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.