Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rebel Hot by Comp Arf

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rebel Hot by Comp Arf

Old 07-18-2020, 06:36 AM
chevronflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

The shipping box is undamaged. I will say that the packaging seems lacking for this level of kit tho. The fact itís a single wall box and the nose and tail are tight against the front and rear of box is what I would say caused this , any pressure pushing up or down on just the front or rear of box would have cause the fuse to flex , and thatís what it looks like the fuse did . It flexed up or down at the tail because both sides of the vertical have cracks running straight down in line from the rudder Hong line into to horizontal stabs area
Old 07-18-2020, 07:23 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Iíll bet someone at CARF is as mad as you are right now... no way that box was up to spec.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:54 AM
chevronflyer

Originally Posted by husafreak
Thanks for the reply, Iíll bet someone at CARF is as mad as you are right now... no way that box was up to spec.
move never ordered from them before so I wouldnít know what to expect from them.

Initial reply back Iím being told to file claim with old dominion. I hope the fact I was overseas for 3 months before this was unpacked doesnít bite me , also with no visible damage to shipping box Iím not sure dominion will do anything
Old 07-18-2020, 08:47 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I have 3 CARF jets, all packed well, no damage. Definitely play the military card if you were overseas because of that. I found over the years that Since your career and lifestyle are so different companies will go out of their way to help. Mike McConville is the new rep at CARF, Taking Andyís spot. Ray Labonte is the old guy. Iím getting to ďitís none of my business territoryĒ but I would talk to Mike on the phone, or Ray, and establish that CARF is sending a replacement fuselage ASAP. Then find out what the fuselage is worth and file a claim with Old Dominion. Tell them you discarded the box. I would be very surprised if CARF would not get right to work on that. Itís obviously shipping damages or factory damage, thatís not what a crash looks like. If you PM me your name Iíll call Ray on your behalf but they should be willing to talk it out and help you. The CARF guys in Germany arenít as responsive but if you send them a detailed email with pictures then theyíll be getting it from both you directly and your CARF rep. If you get a ďto whom it may concernĒ letter signed by your ďbossĒ saying you were out of country on assignment, that will quickly dispell any argument about timeliness in reporting the damage. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2020, 08:57 AM
chevronflyer

Originally Posted by husafreak
I have 3 CARF jets, all packed well, no damage. Definitely play the military card if you were overseas because of that. I found over the years that Since your career and lifestyle are so different companies will go out of their way to help. Mike McConville is the new rep at CARF, Taking Andyís spot. Ray Labonte is the old guy. Iím getting to ďitís none of my business territoryĒ but I would talk to Mike on the phone, or Ray, and establish that CARF is sending a replacement fuselage ASAP. Then find out what the fuselage is worth and file a claim with Old Dominion. Tell them you discarded the box. I would be very surprised if CARF would not get right to work on that. Itís obviously shipping damages or factory damage, thatís not what a crash looks like. If you PM me your name Iíll call Ray on your behalf but they should be willing to talk it out and help you. The CARF guys in Germany arenít as responsive but if you send them a detailed email with pictures then theyíll be getting it from both you directly and your CARF rep. If you get a ďto whom it may concernĒ letter signed by your ďbossĒ saying you were out of country on assignment, that will quickly dispell any argument about timeliness in reporting the damage. Good luck!
I will see what mike and CARF say/offer first. Everything still has qc stickers and factory tape on them so itís obvious it never flew or had anything mounted. The fuse retails for $759 on CARFS website. Hopefully Iím not waiting months and months for one but yes I agree I would like a new fuse. I do not want to have to just fix and use the one I got. I still have the original box , I just opened the thing today
Old 07-18-2020, 12:39 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

That sucks man, I hope Carf takes care of it quickly for you.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:14 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chevronflyer
I will see what mike and CARF say/offer first. Everything still has qc stickers and factory tape on them so itís obvious it never flew or had anything mounted. The fuse retails for $759 on CARFS website. Hopefully Iím not waiting months and months for one but yes I agree I would like a new fuse. I do not want to have to just fix and use the one I got. I still have the original box , I just opened the thing today
definitely a bad deal and so sorry you're dealing with this. Call Mike or Ray, don't email. I have always had better success calling. This is clearly a shipping issue, either on the packing part of CARF, or handling part of OD. Did someone pick up the box for you from OD? Because home delivery is not something they usually do. I have also ordered 4 CARF jets in the span of 6 months, all through OD for shipping and haven't had even a dent on the box or any damage at all.
By your description, this sounds like a packaging issue. Definitely pull the military service card. You deserve top be treated differently.
Where do you live?
Old 07-18-2020, 05:15 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put in an order for a Rebel Hot, and I have read through this whole thread. I just have a few questions for the people flying them..

1. K-45 or K70??? I want the K-70 but just wondering about residual thrust on landing making it come in hot. Anyone with any experience on this?
2. What servos are you guys using??? Friend of mine is using the Macgregor 2810HV's and loves them so far. Problem is they seem to only be available in the UK and they are all back ordered.These are also less than half the price of a MKS 747HV. This leads me to my next question for Dave Wilshire.

Dave, you show these on your website, do you have them in stock, and are you shipping to the US?
Old 07-18-2020, 06:24 PM
flaz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KFX450
Just put in an order for a Rebel Hot, and I have read through this whole thread. I just have a few questions for the people flying them..

1. K-45 or K70??? I want the K-70 but just wondering about residual thrust on landing making it come in hot. Anyone with any experience on this?
2. What servos are you guys using??? Friend of mine is using the Macgregor 2810HV's and loves them so far. Problem is they seem to only be available in the UK and they are all back ordered.These are also less than half the price of a MKS 747HV. This leads me to my next question for Dave Wilshire.

Dave, you show these on your website, do you have them in stock, and are you shipping to the US?
K70 power is awesome and I havenít had any issues slowing down on landings if I approach at a reasonable speed and altitude. I have the CG at the back of the wing tube and it flares and rides on the main gear nicely.
The following 2 users liked this post by flaz:
bodywerks (07-18-2020), KFX450 (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 06:37 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome!!! Thank you. I just needed to hear that to justify myself putting a 70 in it. What are you using for servos?
Old 07-18-2020, 07:20 PM
flaz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome!!! Thank you. I just needed to hear that to justify myself putting a 70 in it. What are you using for servos?
I ended up using the MKS 747HV servos. That was a hard decision. At the time I was considering Savox HV minis, but I couldnít find them in stock anywhere. I love the MKS servos, but they are on the expensive side.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:23 PM
bodywerks

I'm running a swiwin 80 tuned to 85N and zero regrets. K70 would be my minimum. If you want a light, floaty, nimble jet, the only 45 I'd consider is the xicoy, and I'd follow Bob B's build almost to the T.
for servos, going off memory, Savox 1256hv.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:36 AM
chevronflyer

Originally Posted by bodywerks
definitely a bad deal and so sorry you're dealing with this. Call Mike or Ray, don't email. I have always had better success calling. This is clearly a shipping issue, either on the packing part of CARF, or handling part of OD. Did someone pick up the box for you from OD? Because home delivery is not something they usually do. I have also ordered 4 CARF jets in the span of 6 months, all through OD for shipping and haven't had even a dent on the box or any damage at all.
By your description, this sounds like a packaging issue. Definitely pull the military service card. You deserve top be treated differently.
Where do you live?
OD dropped it off right at my door at home in Florida . My wife was home to accept the delivery. There was ZERO box damage. I made sure to tell her to look for any damage to it. She pulled the top off and inspected what she could , ie the wings and stabs Pulled out of their Protective covers
But she did not unwrap and pull the fuse out.
My rep said I have to file a claim with OD and he contacted CARF but have to wait until Monday when they open for an answer.

Iím not in the military anymore but I contract for the Government. Proving I was gone is not an issue, I just think OD will have an issue with my claim being two months after delivery and the fact there was no obvious box damage at time or delivery or even still now.

I will see what carf says this week.
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 04:11 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 158 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by chevronflyer
OD dropped it off right at my door at home in Florida . My wife was home to accept the delivery. There was ZERO box damage. I made sure to tell her to look for any damage to it. She pulled the top off and inspected what she could , ie the wings and stabs Pulled out of their Protective covers
But she did not unwrap and pull the fuse out.
My rep said I have to file a claim with OD and he contacted CARF but have to wait until Monday when they open for an answer.

Iím not in the military anymore but I contract for the Government. Proving I was gone is not an issue, I just think OD will have an issue with my claim being two months after delivery and the fact there was no obvious box damage at time or delivery or even still now.

I will see what carf says this week.
A little strange, normally the shipper has to put the claim in.....not sure why the rep told you to put start the claim....
Old 07-19-2020, 10:46 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm running a swiwin 80 tuned to 85N and zero regrets. K70 would be my minimum. If you want a light, floaty, nimble jet, the only 45 I'd consider is the xicoy, and I'd follow Bob B's build almost to the T.
for servos, going off memory, Savox 1256hv.
Your little Rebel Hot is badass
bodywerks (07-19-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 03:16 AM
PrionPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have built a couple of these for customers and one of them had exactly the same damage as yours.
its a fairly easy fix. I taped across the crack and then glassed the inside. I then added a ply web across the top of the cockpit opening to strengthen the area.
The second one was already modified, so I presume they realised it was an issue.
the repair is almost impossible to see, even if you know itís there.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:58 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by PrionPilot
I have built a couple of these for customers and one of them had exactly the same damage as yours.
its a fairly easy fix. I taped across the crack and then glassed the inside. I then added a ply web across the top of the cockpit opening to strengthen the area.
The second one was already modified, so I presume they realised it was an issue.
If it was me it would be in the box on the way back to warehouse....when someone buy a new airplane kit...Iím pretty they are like me and expect a new plane 🤔
bodywerks (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 04:17 AM
chevronflyer

Originally Posted by PrionPilot
the crack running the seam of the vertical stab from the canopy to rudder maybe you fixed yes, but I also have a huge chip in the fiberglass right at the start of the vertical , also at least 4 structural cracks at both fuse sides and MAJOR cracking on both sides of the rudder hinge line extending downward well into horizontal stabs.

while I agree anything is fixable , this isnít a $400 foamy.

When you pay up for a CARF aircraft you kinda expect it to be of good quality and condition.
I dont think itís unreasonable to expect not to have to immediately repair then try to match Color and repaint a brand new aircraft.

The following 3 users liked this post by chevronflyer:
bodywerks (07-20-2020), Dansy (07-20-2020), Desertlakesflying (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 10:59 AM
bodywerks

Chevron, where are you located?
Old 07-20-2020, 12:28 PM
chevronflyer

Chevron, where are you located?
Fleming island Florida
Old 07-20-2020, 12:31 PM
chevronflyer

Here are my options from carf.

1. $500 refund and I fix it myself
2. they ship me a whole new kit and I ship this one back (not clear at whose expense)
Old 07-20-2020, 12:47 PM
T_CAT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd ship it back and (in my opinion) the cost for shipping back shouldn't be your responsibility. You ordered a new, perfect condition, fkyable CARF jet and you certainly did not receive one in that condition.

How CARF handles this situation would certainly make future customers think twice before ordering one if all does not go well. It certainly does for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by T_CAT:
Desertlakesflying (07-20-2020), jcpl (04-03-2021)
Old 07-20-2020, 12:57 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Iíd also ship it back, thatís the damage you can see what about damage you canít?
The following 2 users liked this post by camss69:
bodywerks (07-20-2020), Desertlakesflying (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 01:12 PM
Dansy

I would asked for a pre-paid shipping tag to ship it back, no way I would pay.....if I had to pay they would give me a full refund, that’s Not the customer fault, and they will get money from the transporter from the claim...
Old 07-20-2020, 02:19 PM
chevronflyer

They also say they are willing to
sell mine as is for $999. Hmmm do I just buy it and keep it as spare parts ? Not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.