Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Painting landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Painting landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 05:17 AM
Spencer K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Painting landing gear

in your opinion, what’s the best paint/ process to paint your landing gear white? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2019, 05:57 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Landing gear

If you really want it nice, Take it apart and take it to a powder coating service. I got mine done for a little over $100. Its ten times tougher than paint and it looks awesome.

Bob Neal
Old 08-28-2019, 06:55 AM
kelly vallee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-28-2019, 07:18 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

+1 for the DIY powdercoating. a large "toaster oven" or an old household oven is perfect for rc sized parts
Old 08-28-2019, 07:45 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have always completely disassembled the gear, cleaned it and painted it with the $.99 can of Walmart spray paint. Flat or gloss depending on the plane. Looks great, is tough and I have never had it chip after years of service.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:43 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do it yourself. I didn't have the powder coating equipment, it costs about $60 from Harbor freight. Then you have to buy the powder about 20$. Then you have to have an old oven, I did not. A toaster oven was about $70. It makes noxious fumes so I couldn't do it in the house oven , my wife would have loved that! They bead blasted everything before coating so it would stick well. I didn't have a sandblaster with glass beads. So for me it was cheaper and they also had some 200 degree tape to mask off the places where I did not want it. I dropped it off and 3 days later voila! , it looked amazing and it didn't take me a few days figuring it out and having it not turn out as good anyway.

I have tried epoxy paints after using etching primer, I have tried spray cans and I can tell you that they don't look as good and are not 50% as durable as powder coating. I had to sand away the coating in one spot, and man is that stuff tough.

So if you have a nice airplane, check it out. if you don't , just use whatever.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:34 PM
spike223
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Arma coat( In Canada ...)

A firearms coating. ...thus very efficient !

they're is other companies like KG gunKote , Cerakote etc...

most offers DIY kits
Old 08-29-2019, 12:33 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Take the gear apart and degrease before you do anything else.
Depending on the paint method you will have to consider which parts will have clearance issues when they are reassembled so you will want to mask those spots off before proceeding.
Using paint find an auto paint store and use an acid etching primer for metal OR at the hobby level find a store that sells Tamiya lacquer paint. They have an acid etch primer and rattle can white lacquer too.
With a good urethane or lacquer primer base you can spray a compatible white or your color on them.

If you go the baked on route just be sure there are no seals or plastic parts left in the gear before they see high heat.

If you’re nervous about this then go the paint route and don’t risk it because high heat can ruin parts tolerance and other stuff.

Post pics, good luck!