Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone have the SAB Havok or Drake?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone have the SAB Havok or Drake?

Old 08-29-2019, 08:11 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone have the SAB Havok or Drake?

I have the kraken helicopter, and if the jets are half the quality of the heli kit, it will be outstanding. Anyone building one? Huge fuel tank, curious if there is room for smoke? the machining and anodizing on the heli is the best I've seen. And SAB has been doing carbon blades for 20+ years... they know composite. Looks are up for debate, I'm interested due to perceived/hopeful quality of kit....
Old 08-29-2019, 08:40 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I saw them fly at Joe Nall. Flew nice
Old 08-29-2019, 08:44 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

here ya go, Doc.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ld-thread.html

one day, i will get tired of carrying yer water...

mongo
Old 08-29-2019, 10:43 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

There are a couple being built in eastern Canada. I have been skimming the build thread on rccanada. They look good outside of crappy screws which both builders are talking about the screw heads shearing off while attaching servo covers. Easy to deal with I guess, just personally i always feel uneasy when quality hardware can't even be supplied.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:48 AM
T3chDad

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

waiting for the Lizard!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:47 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts

I understand the early ones were moulded in the Far East, the Havok I flew flies OK, but wing loading means the landing needs to be relatively fast and there is a critical AOA, if you increase it to flare hard the lift goes. If it was lighter it would be better. Not sure of the weight but for the size it feels weighty when you lift it. When the nose door is open it acts like a turning vane, so you have to turn finals using the rudders.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:59 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

that havok is the one i want to see a build thread and flight report or 3 on.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:00 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a build thread here;
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...d.php?t=582357

Enjoy.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:37 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 80 Likes on 78 Posts

I have one since May....
Old 08-30-2019, 11:07 AM
DrScoles

RC Man, any progress?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:55 AM
RC_MAN

My updates are for the Drake are here;

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...d.php?t=582357
Old 09-05-2019, 09:21 AM
DrScoles

Ok, I have one of each on the way. What length servo arms please??
Old 09-05-2019, 07:02 PM
RC_MAN

I downloaded the manual all the info is there.

Use this link and click on "download manual"

https://rpmjets.com/collections/fron...cts/k175-drake
Old 09-06-2019, 08:57 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Default Sab

looks like they will arrive on Wednesday Mike.

Clear the building tables we have a job to do
Old 07-09-2020, 07:37 AM
Nando73
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post

I understand the early ones were moulded in the Far East, the Havok I flew flies OK, but wing loading means the landing needs to be relatively fast and there is a critical AOA, if you increase it to flare hard the lift goes. If it was lighter it would be better. Not sure of the weight but for the size it feels weighty when you lift it. When the nose door is open it acts like a turning vane, so you have to turn finals using the rudders.
I am curious, are the later versions lighter and fly better? I have seen video of the Boissan brothers and the jets come in very slow for landing, I am interested on buying one from a fellow flier but I am not sure if this is a jet to have fun and relax or a jet that wants to constantly bite you, I have to make a decision soon on the Havoc.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:52 AM
DrScoles

I built the havok and Drake, amazing quality, true ARF's. I flew the drake ten times. Just never got a good groove with it. It felt heavy. Flew more like a scale jet than a sport jet. I had a 210 in it and the smoke tank pod. I think a smaller turbine and less gas on board could make a difference. It could really use a speed brake as well... lands hot. I experimented with deflection gate canards ala rookie.... didn't work. Just a gorgeous kit and great quality! Just didn't fit with my flying style...
Old 07-09-2020, 07:56 AM
Nando73
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by DrScoles View Post
I built the havok and Drake, amazing quality, true ARF's. I flew the drake ten times. Just never got a good groove with it. It felt heavy. Flew more like a scale jet than a sport jet. I had a 210 in it and the smoke tank pod. I think a smaller turbine and less gas on board could make a difference. It could really use a speed brake as well... lands hot. I experimented with deflection gate canards ala rookie.... didn't work. Just a gorgeous kit and great quality! Just didn't fit with my flying style...
What are your thoughts about the Havok?
Old 07-09-2020, 08:15 AM
DrScoles

I didn't fly it. Built it for a buddy. great kit... barely had to drill any holes....
Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Dave Wilshere

There is a later kit in my local club, it is lighter than the original but still has to land relatively fast. If you can get the AOA at the perfect angle it touches down quite nicely. But few degrees nose up the speed bleeds fast and it pancakes. A degree nose down and it descends quickly. The nose unit has broken out of this aeroplane every flying session. The owner has decided to sell it as he wants a short strip model and this isn’t. He concluded you need tarmac. I’m sure after lots of flights you can get dialled in to it’s characteristics like the brothers.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:21 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 80 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Nando73 View Post
What are your thoughts about the Havok?
I wanted to get one the day I saw it......for 2 reasons, The model has quite an orignal design that appeal to me, and I have own many SAB Heli and they were all great so...I taught the Plane would be great as well....got one of the first In North America.....put all the best in it....with a K210.

At first I was like geez this nose section is so heavy with the unknown amount of lead the factory put in it.....build it like the instruction said and place as much forward as possible....did the CG and had to put even more lead into the nose....??

The fuse is now broken just half of the split.......not sure if I will ever fix it, or get another fuselage......it was flying fine...but I think the jet is just too heavy, because of god knows how much lead there’s in that nose...I added 336gr....to the big chunk...also run 4 batteries (needed the weight anyway)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:18 PM
leelevinson
My Feedback: (37)

I have the Drake that Dr. Scoles built.

Balanced it as per the manual and have to agree with everyone that it flew as if it was VERY nose heavy.

I had placed two(2) 3,200 mAh Venom hardcase LiPo receiver batteries ahead of the nose gear wheel well, the ECU battery and an 1,800 mAh battery for the gear just behind the nose gear wheel well.

The Powerpack for the JC Cheetah was installed under the rear equipment tray and the UAT was placed under the forward equipment tray.

I used a Xicoy LGC-15 controller for the gear and brakes to have more control over the braking.

The Drake balanced exactly where the manual showed.

As you can see in the photos I have switched to smaller (lighter) batteries, except for the ECU battery and moved all the batteries as far back as possible. I have also placed 6 oz of weight near the motor.

The Drake now balances 2 inches further back than what the manual shows and is just slightly nose heavy. The thrust vectoring now has more authority than the first flights even though I only have a 36 lb thrust motor.

It flies well, is very stable and when I slow it until it stalls the plane starts to mush and then the nose gently falls with the wings remaining level.

I use both rudders as airbrakes and it slows the plane up a bit but also keeps the nose up in a good attitude for landing.

I flies a lot like my C-ARF Rookie and am really pleased with it.

We recently had a giant Warbird event at my club and after I explained that the Drake was a Warbird from the future, they were gracious enough to let me fly.

Last edited by leelevinson; 09-17-2020 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-17-2020, 01:25 PM
DrScoles

Great to hear Lee. I bet my landing woes were that it was too nose heavy. I honestly never messed with the CG. And I agree, very much like the Rookie, I had two of them... But, with the rookie, you could mix the canards to go 80 degrees and land it like a foamie...... I tried mixing with the canards on the drake, and it did not go well LOL

Glad you are happy with it!
Old 09-17-2020, 04:10 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by leelevinson View Post
I have the Drake that Dr. Scoles built.

Balanced it as per the manual and have to agree with everyone that it flew as if it was VERY nose heavy.

I had placed two(2) 3,200 mAh Venom hardcase LiPo receiver batteries ahead of the nose gear wheel well, the ECU battery and an 1,800 mAh battery for the gear just behind the nose gear wheel well.

The Powerpack for the JC Cheetah was installed under the rear equipment tray and the UAT was placed under the forward equipment tray.

I used a Xicoy LGC-15 controller for the gear and brakes to have more control over the braking.

The Drake balanced exactly where the manual showed.

As you can see in the photos I have switched to smaller (lighter) batteries, except for the ECU battery and moved all the batteries as far back as possible. I have also placed 6 oz of weight near the motor.

The Drake now balances 2 inches further back than what the manual shows and is just slightly nose heavy. The thrust vectoring now has more authority than the first flights even though I only have a 36 lb thrust motor.

It flies well, is very stable and when I slow it until it stalls the plane starts to mush and then the nose gently falls with the wings remaining level.

I use both rudders as airbrakes and it slows the plane up a bit but also keeps the nose up in a good attitude for landing.

I flies a lot like my C-ARF Rookie and am really pleased with it.

We recently had a giant Warbird event at my club and after I explained that the Drake was a Warbird from the future, they were gracious enough to let me fly.

Where did you get the wing bags for the Canards?
Thanks,
Tone
Old 09-17-2020, 09:04 PM
Dave Wilshere

Tone
Clue is in the Text 🙂 CARF

Dave
Old 10-11-2020, 05:39 PM
leelevinson
My Feedback: (37)

They were canard covers that I had left from a Rookie.
I cut them down to fit the Drake canards and added the strap to hold them in place.

Sorry it took so long to respond but I don't check this forum much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.