Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever put an AMT Mercury into an old BVM Viper?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone ever put an AMT Mercury into an old BVM Viper?

Old 10-01-2019, 05:45 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone ever put an AMT Mercury into an old BVM Viper?

So I have an old AMT Mercury (About 16lbs thrust) and an old BVM Viper with a viofan and KBV77 in it. Was thinking maybe the mercury would be fun to put in there. It's an original viper, not an ultra viper. I know it's been done, but wondering what were used for tanks, and any other things guys did to them. I wouldn't worry about a bypass, the Mercury I have is air start. Just thinking, maybe it's a poor choice, if so let me know
Old 10-01-2019, 08:30 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell amigo they flew one with the jpx240 and a frigging propane tank. I’m sure fabrications some normalfuel tanks would be easy to do and arrange. That lil bird is probably better off with the EVF Stuff though.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:02 AM
LGM Graphix

Hey Buck,
I'm sure the evf stuff would be better but it's way too expensive. I have nothing electric. No chargers to handle anything bigger than 4S. By the time I bought everything to go electric I could buy a k70, pipe, tanks etc. I'd stay with icdf before I went electric. I might stay with icdf anyway, just thinking out loud at the moment.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we did that in days past I used plasma fuel bags. I know a no go today. Still probably could take a piece of foam and sand till it fit. Glass and dissolve foam for a tank
Old 10-02-2019, 12:17 PM
yeahbaby

For sure amigo and upside to putting small turbine it is you won’t have to fly with a bag over your head 😉 if you electrify it
Old 10-02-2019, 12:39 PM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

Originally Posted by yeahbaby View Post
For sure amigo and upside to putting small turbine it is you won’t have to fly with a bag over your head 😉 if you electrify it
Buck you said it so well! LOL
Old 10-02-2019, 03:32 PM
yeahbaby

Lol
Old 10-03-2019, 07:38 AM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by kevinthoele View Post
When we did that in days past I used plasma fuel bags. I know a no go today. Still probably could take a piece of foam and sand till it fit. Glass and dissolve foam for a tank

I agree, just make yourself some tanks. Never fitted a Mercury in a BVMViper, but did so with a BVM Sabre and BVM T-33 back in the day. Both were great flyers and both had home made tanks. You will love it.

JanR
Old 10-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Here's another way to go : http://www.jettechusa.com/collection...ion-fuel-tanks
Old 10-04-2019, 01:22 PM
DUCMOZ

Jeremy, I have a pair of BVM flat tanks left from my young days of Viper / Aggressor. they are used but in perfect shape. In case they fit.

Behzad
Old 10-04-2019, 04:38 PM
LGM Graphix

Hey Behzad,
thanks for the offer but I started thinking about the jet and the repairs I'm doing on it now and the repairs are 100% due to an engine out situation with the ducted fan engine in it and the absolute lack of glide ratio it has Haha. Dont think I am willing to risk a turbine in there just in case. Pretty sure I've seen bricks that glide better hahaha
Old 10-04-2019, 07:42 PM
DUCMOZ

Yep. I flew those late 80's -early 90's nad have some funny (should say now funny) memories. You would be better off getting a turbine version Electra and fly it. I have one and it flies great. I have thought of putting together an old school ducted fan together from time to time but then sanity kicks in!

Have fun.
Behzad