Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF REBEL 2m

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF REBEL 2m

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:13 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Tone

Excellent 🙂

Dave
The following users liked this post:
DenisFerrari (12-21-2021)
Old 09-11-2020, 04:39 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

And it's done, and light! 22-3/4lb with full uat. 170 will be happy cruising around at 1/3 throttle, and vertical will be INSANE!

paulhat (09-11-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 02:25 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a question. I know that this in no a yank and bank jet due to the lack of carbon fiber reinforcement. But is it safe to due full speed passes. Not diving full pulls but maybe a full throttle circuit with wide turns. Sorry but I am just trying to understand the capabilites of this jet and Carf does not state very much about the Classics capabilities on its website.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 09-16-2020, 03:37 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
I have a question. I know that this in no a yank and bank jet due to the lack of carbon fiber reinforcement. But is it safe to due full speed passes. Not diving full pulls but maybe a full throttle circuit with wide turns. Sorry but I am just trying to understand the capabilites of this jet and Carf does not state very much about the Classics capabilities on its website.
Thanks,
Tone
I have an older friend at the field with one with a 140 in it and flies full throttle pretty much the whole flight. Anything bigger than a 140 I'd be careful.
I maidened mine last weekend with the 170 and flew most of the flight under 1/3 throttle and of course never flew st full throttle except on uplines. I immediately got comfortable with it. I like how it flies, more than my pro, but I think I need more nose weight in the pro.

Last edited by bodywerks; 09-16-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:50 PM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
Thanks,
Tone
I have been flying the Pirotti version of this model / size for about 3 years (off grass) and have full confidence it will handle anything you put it through. I use a Jet Central Cheetah SE (36lbs) in it and use full power all the time. I have not personally seen the Carf iteration but the design is solid and Carf has a great reputation. Just enjoy it!

Last edited by skunkwurk; 09-16-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Len (08-10-2022)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:08 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading about the Rebel Classic and feel like it would be a great first turbine for an experienced pilot. Some have encouraged larger like the Rebel Pro but that price point is a bit beyond what I want to spend at least initially. It sounds like the Classic doesn't give up much in terms or forgivingness and slowing down for landing. I plan to do some aerobatic sequences but likely not compete (I competed in IMAC a bit and just couldn't justify the full weekends away with the family back at home).

Right now the Rebel Classic is at the top of my list (and budget!). Anything else I should be considering?
Old 09-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by aviti
I've been reading about the Rebel Classic and feel like it would be a great first turbine for an experienced pilot. Some have encouraged larger like the Rebel Pro but that price point is a bit beyond what I want to spend at least initially. It sounds like the Classic doesn't give up much in terms or forgivingness and slowing down for landing. I plan to do some aerobatic sequences but likely not compete (I competed in IMAC a bit and just couldn't justify the full weekends away with the family back at home).

Right now the Rebel Classic is at the top of my list (and budget!). Anything else I should be considering?

After personally having both the Rebel and the T-1, and spending time around a handful of predators and other jets, I will tell you to get the Rebel and don't waste your time with anything else.
The following 2 users liked this post by Desertlakesflying:
bodywerks (09-18-2020), DenisFerrari (12-21-2021)
Old 09-18-2020, 03:53 PM
skunkwurk

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
After personally having both the Rebel and the T-1, and spending time around a handful of predators and other jets, I will tell you to get the Rebel and don't waste your time with anything else.
I couldn’t agree more! No brainer!
Old 09-18-2020, 04:14 PM
bodywerks

I third that! I had to dead stick mine in on the maiden flight. It was a total non event even half full of fuel it carried well and still slowed down fine.
another jet that is cheaper, comes in turbine- ready form(great, servos, tanks, and pipe installed) is the pilot predator in 2.2m form. The quality isn't quite as good, but it's the same price in turbine ready version, after shipping, as the Rebel in ARFplus form. It's also heavier, but slightly bigger. Perfectly powered with a 170n turbine.
I owned one and loved it, but I did sell it so I guess that says something.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:23 PM
aviti

Thanks for the replies guys. I have looked at the Predators and the Odyssey as well. Both have good reviews but many have said the quality of the Comp ARF is noticeably better. I’m not ready to pull the trigger but the 2M sure looks like a good choice.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:37 PM
bodywerks

Quality swing on the Odyssey is either OK, or pure junk. But it's an option. Flies pretty well. Got two at our club.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:49 PM
aviti

I know I would be upset with quality issues even if the plane was a little less expensive. I’m keeping an open mind but I’ve yet to hear anything bad about the Rebel other than some of the other options are bigger jets for a similar price. 2M seems plenty big for me especially if it will still slow down nicely.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:59 PM
Dave Wilshere

Steve Hartley above is exactly you! He’s been competing in IMAC for a few years, but with no events this year and flying with my lot seeing lots of jets, he asked me about getting one. His was the first Rebel 2m in the club, but I said it would be a perfect choice. He has got on so well with it there are two more on order now.

Dave
Old 09-19-2020, 03:51 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Asking this question on a CARF tread is like asking on a Ferrari tread which sport car is the best 😂

There’s better option.....
Old 09-19-2020, 04:41 AM
aviti

Originally Posted by Dansy
Asking this question on a CARF tread is like asking on a Ferrari tread which sport car is the best 😂

There’s better option.....
I’m open to options. looking for a first turbine but something I will not grow out of. Experienced pilot for 40 years with giant scale IMAC, 3D, thermal duration soaring, DLG, pylon racing, helicopters, EDF. Still want something forgiving, wide speed envelope, aerobatic, slows down for landing. Would like 2M or more and top quality for the budget. I’d like to spend less than $8K. The Rebel seems to check all the boxes but what else? Guys on other forums said they liked their Odyssey’s but the paint was cracking and chipping off. Part of the experience for me is having something that looks amazing to go along with the performance.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:28 AM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m open to options. looking for a first turbine but something I will not grow out of. Experienced pilot for 40 years with giant scale IMAC, 3D, thermal duration soaring, DLG, pylon racing, helicopters, EDF. Still want something forgiving, wide speed envelope, aerobatic, slows down for landing. Would like 2M or more and top quality for the budget. I’d like to spend less than $8K. The Rebel seems to check all the boxes but what else? Guys on other forums said they liked their Odyssey’s but the paint was cracking and chipping off. Part of the experience for me is having something that looks amazing to go along with the performance.
IMHO the best way to get information for your decision is to go to a flying field see actual flown jets for yourself.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:18 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by shepga
IMHO the best way to get information for your decision is to go to a flying field see actual flown jets for yourself.
not always possible if nobody at your field has what your looking at.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:53 AM
aviti

Originally Posted by FenderBean
not always possible if nobody at your field has what your looking at.
Yep. That’s why I’m asking on here.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:13 PM
jamessymons

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Everyone

Whats the best way to soften Festo fuel tubing so that you can get it over the barbs ? Also when do you run Festo and when do you run Tygon ?

Kind Regards

James
Old 09-20-2020, 02:06 AM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by jamessymons
Hi Everyone

Whats the best way to soften Festo fuel tubing so that you can get it over the barbs ? Also when do you run Festo and when do you run Tygon ?

Kind Regards

James
hot water or a heat gun. I pretty much use festo tubing wherever a festo push fitting exists and Tygon whenever a standard barb exists in the plumbing that I can't get festo to slip over. I prefer Festo, though.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:16 AM
bodywerks

This is pretty much me, except only 35 years. Not sure what Dansy thinks is better than the Rebel. Ultra Flash? I have one. It's nice, too, but gets small fast because it's FAST.
I know a lot of people push the T1, but it is pretty much exactly the same size as the Classic yet SEVEN POUNDS heavier OR MORE. And shipping is over double the cost.
There are other very good, and light sport jets, but maybe not as easy to acquire, like the Leonardo or Futura.
IMO, bang for your buck, anything CARF is hard to beat.
skymaster68 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 03:14 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by bodywerks
This is pretty much me, except only 35 years. Not sure what Dansy thinks is better than the Rebel. Ultra Flash? I have one. It's nice, too, but gets small fast because it's FAST.
I know a lot of people push the T1, but it is pretty much exactly the same size as the Classic yet SEVEN POUNDS heavier OR MORE. And shipping is over double the cost.
There are other very good, and light sport jets, but maybe not as easy to acquire, like the Leonardo or Futura.
IMO, bang for your buck, anything CARF is hard to beat.
‘Weight is not the end of the world.....and yes there’s better out there, I’m not a poster boy for any factory....I pay full price on mine 😝 you keep bringing T-1 while you never ever own one.... too funny...
Old 09-20-2020, 03:17 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by jamessymons
Hi Everyone

Kind Regards

James
Just a little of heat and just a little of fine oil.....I mainly used Festo tubing.....and viton inside the tanks.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:35 AM
Dave Wilshere

Don’t use oil! Detergent if anything, but stretching is better than heat,,,
Old 09-20-2020, 10:03 AM
skunkwurk

I agree with Dave, I don't like to use heat on the tubing either. I just stretch the end a little with pliers, just enough to help me get it on the nipple. I also spray CA activator (kicker) onto the nipple and into the end of tub before I mount it, as a lubricant. It evaporates and does not leave any residue. I use Insta-Set, it is compatible with all surfaces, including clear plastic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.