Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF REBEL 2m

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF REBEL 2m

Old 02-21-2023, 12:31 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

This is the weight full of fuel, ready to fly. This is seven lbs lighter than my 2.2m T1.
The following users liked this post:
Skunkwrks (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:39 PM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
This is the weight full of fuel, ready to fly. This is seven lbs lighter than my 2.2m T1.
Welcome to the world of CARF. All of the Rebels have incredibly light wing loading. I had the same experience as you with my T1.
Skunkwrks (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:48 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by smcharg
Welcome to the world of CARF. All of the Rebels have incredibly light wing loading. I had the same experience as you with my T1.
This is my first CARF airframe, it's definitely a different mindset.
Skunkwrks (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 01:04 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Did you had a k142 in the T-1…the rebel are light, but they are 2 very different jets….

And since I’m in the middle of sanding my T-1 down, I can definitely say the paint is much thicker LOL 😂 then any CARF I had on my bench
Old 02-21-2023, 01:53 PM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
Did you had a k142 in the T-1…the rebel are light, but they are 2 very different jets….

And since I’m in the middle of sanding my T-1 down, I can definitely say the paint is much thicker LOL 😂 then any CARF I had on my bench
Dan totally agree the Carf paint is paper thin so guess when you paint in the model you tend to use less paint or they have that good of prime to mask up the foam core.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:56 PM
Skunkwrks

Talking

Originally Posted by Tip22v

Like Scott said welcome to world of Carf. Now you know why my Pro flew so well at Princeton! Very low wing loading you should really enjoy it .
Old 02-21-2023, 02:25 PM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

My Rebel was 8#s lighter than my first T-1 2.2 meter. I used the T-1's OEM wire harness "as found." On the second T-1, I cut all the wires to the exact length needed. Now the Rebel is just slightly <7#s lighter. I have a K160 in the T-1 and a K142 in the Rebel. Cutting all the wires to the shortest usable length matters! Cutting the wires did change the CG a bit. But all it took to fix that was moving one battery a couple inches forward and I could have easily lived with it w/o moving the battery. There is still some extra wire in the Rebel. But it flies so great, I don't want to even mess with it.

Both of these planes fly and land great! No white thumbs on their flights! It is just the Rebel is a little bit easier to pick up off the ground and carry to and from the startup pads. I will say though, the T-1 is built like a tank when compared to the Rebel, and the T-1 will take a lickin' and keep on tickin', ... right up until you forget the wing bolts. (Long story, ... But the short of it is; Don't setup and fly when you are running events!)
Old 02-21-2023, 03:49 PM
Skunkwrks

That must have been quite a site when then the wings came off your jet , ouch . Have a friend with a similar thing happen when he was CD the Jet rally event he accidently pushed his wing tube past the windtube stop it was broken .
He was talking with people while assembling the jet and didn't realize the carbon tube wasn't in the proper position, went past the stop. Well, he took off and banked, then the one wing folded up and made a loud smacking sound as the wings touched and that was the end of the Jet.

Getting back to wire length, it's important to keep only what is needed for length, I Have found that the Powerbox Premium Maxi wire is lighter than the Premium wire, yet still always the same current though only the coating is thinner and more flexible than premium wire.
So when you run twenty to thirty feet in a plane like the Rebel Pro or Max it can add up to a good of dead weight in the aircraft. It all adds up quickly.

Last edited by Skunkwrks; 02-21-2023 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:59 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Dansy

originally had a K140, then later upgraded to a k160 that was about the same size as the previous generation K140. The T1 was heavy but still a great flying machine. I have not yet flown my rebel so can’t make comparison on how it flies compared to the T1.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:18 PM
Len Todd

The setup for the wing failure was 3 interruptions over a 1.5 hr period. I had to leave the main event area, go to the other flightline and resolve an issue down there. Then I had to go back down to the RC car track to keep the support staff from "killing" a few folks. Then, I had some spectator *****in' at me for something that I can't even remember what his beef was. So, after 1.5 hrs, I finished (well almost finished) putting the plane together. I did a lot of acro, and it all went really well for about 6 minutes! No matter how much you pay for them, they don't fly well w/o wings? With a couple hundred spectators watching, all you can say is: Oh Well! I violated my own cardinal rule (i.e. Never fly at my own events!) just to keep a plane in the airspace for spectators. For some reason, even with 37 jet guys onsite, there was quite a lull on one of the not so busy days. So now for these slower days, the jets get built a day before the event and put in storage. That seems to work better, ... so far! Enough of this whining! Let's get back to Rebel stuff.
Skunkwrks (02-22-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 08:26 AM
GREMOS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello everyone!!!!happy,to be,clasic rebel owner here.i have ordered the cmjet's 4 lt tank.smoke is mantadory for me.any ideas about how and were to mount an at least 1lt tank for smoke ??preferably without mods...
Old 02-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GREMOS
hello everyone!!!!happy,to be,clasic rebel owner here.i have ordered the cmjet's 4 lt tank.smoke is mantadory for me.any ideas about how and were to mount an at least 1lt tank for smoke ??preferably without mods...
If he has not constructed the tank yet, why not have Carlos just make you a split tank. 3L Kero and 1L smoke. The classic will fly for up to 10 minutes on 3L of kero. And a split tank will save you room and the trouble trying to mount and additional tank.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 02-23-2023, 09:53 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Len Todd
The setup for the wing failure was 3 interruptions over a 1.5 hr period. I had to leave the main event area, go to the other flightline and resolve an issue down there. Then I had to go back down to the RC car track to keep the support staff from "killing" a few folks. Then, I had some spectator *****in' at me for something that I can't even remember what his beef was. So, after 1.5 hrs, I finished (well almost finished) putting the plane together. I did a lot of acro, and it all went really well for about 6 minutes! No matter how much you pay for them, they don't fly well w/o wings? With a couple hundred spectators watching, all you can say is: Oh Well! I violated my own cardinal rule (i.e. Never fly at my own events!) just to keep a plane in the airspace for spectators. For some reason, even with 37 jet guys onsite, there was quite a lull on one of the not so busy days. So now for these slower days, the jets get built a day before the event and put in storage. That seems to work better, ... so far! Enough of this whining! Let's get back to Rebel stuff.
I had something similar happen to me years ago, fortunately it was not one of my jets. Did you forget the wing retention bolts?
Old 02-23-2023, 10:55 AM
Len Todd

Wing Bolts were left out!
Old 02-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Wing Bolts were left out!
Sorry for your loss...-Tom
Old 02-24-2023, 04:59 AM
GREMOS

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
If he has not constructed the tank yet, why not have Carlos just make you a split tank. 3L Kero and 1L smoke. The classic will fly for up to 10 minutes on 3L of kero. And a split tank will save you room and the trouble trying to mount and additional tank.
Thanks,
Tone
i prefere to carry 4 lt of fuel.i am running a 142G4+ and i am going flat out mostly!!!!!so it burns a litle more fuel!!!!!
Old 02-24-2023, 05:50 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

i prefere to carry 4 lt of fuel.i am running a 142G4+ and i am going flat out mostly!!!!!so it burns a litle more fuel!!!!!
Pretty much the wrong airplane to flat out…but that’s your choice……Carlos does smoke tank for the rebel…..
Old 02-24-2023, 06:07 AM
smcharg

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Agree with Dansy. While this one will get up and go, the Rebel family is more meant for, not slow flight but, slower flight. It is an excellent aerobatic / demonstration / 4-point roll sort of plane. The drag coefficient is quite high compared to other jets. While it can scoot right along, I would say "flat out" most of the time is a bad choice for this airplane.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:27 AM
GREMOS

i know it is a very good aerobatic plane,but have flown one in the past,and it can go realy fast though!!!
Old 02-24-2023, 03:22 PM
Skunkwrks

Sounds like you should fly a Carf Ultra Flash or maybe take up pylon racing if you want all-out speed !
The Rebel will go fast but like Scott and Dan said it is more of an Aerobatic jet than a racer..
Old 02-24-2023, 03:29 PM
jvaliensi

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

If you want a fast Rebel - Try a Rebel Hot with a X90 or K102. Its shorter wings can take more Gs.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:14 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

So you don't want to keep it long?
Old 02-28-2023, 09:30 PM
RC Rich

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best color scheme for visibility?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Rebel 2m for a first turbine, but having a hard time deciding on a color and scheme to inquire about. Watching videos, the green seems to be the most visible, but it's just not grabbing me. I think the Infinity orange looks the best, but I'm hoping it has good visibility. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

There may be more important questions in the future, but for now I'm stuck.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:49 PM
dirtypool
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are all pretty visible. I have the infinity and can see it easily. But any of the colors would be great. Red or green would probably be a little brighter but I would take any of them...
Old 02-28-2023, 09:56 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Colour is less important than shape and shade. The schemes are designed with contrast, particularly the Infinity with light top and dark bottom, because you brain will recognise dark (in the shade underneath) as the bottom and light as the top. Then the shape, wing position way down on fuse and tailplane way high up and difference between the fin and tailplane size means the Rebel series are easy to see whether it’s going/coming-upright/inverted….so
Just buy the one you like the colours of!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.