Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying the CompARF UltraFlash Evo ?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone flying the CompARF UltraFlash Evo ?

Old 01-12-2020, 05:31 PM
paulhat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
The 4 meter long one? That jet is impressive just sitting there.
Yep.. Unreal
Old 01-14-2020, 12:49 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crow baby, crow.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:22 AM
Afterburners

Originally Posted by ravill View Post
Crow baby, crow.
Don't get Dave started😋
Old 01-14-2020, 05:27 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I decided to hit all my fingers with a hammer to numb them so I couldn’t answer 😉
Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 AM
Afterburners

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
I decided to hit all my fingers with a hammer to numb them so I couldn’t answer 😉
Now you'll definitely need a little crow😬
Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 AM
Dave Wilshere

Nope-still not needed 🙂
Old 01-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Afterburners

Some, like myself need all the help we can get.🥴
Old 01-14-2020, 12:21 PM
Dave Wilshere

AP just sent me these shots of the UF thread starter, you can see how slow it’s flying, the bank away shot is the start of a slow circuit. Clean wing keeps it flying!

Old 01-14-2020, 05:04 PM
pcskyhi

I think you should all go back and read carefully what Len Todd said. Todd said he had issues doing aerobatics when flying the Ultra Flash slow. He did not say the Ultra flash could not fly slow, he said he was having trouble doing aerobatics with the Ultra Flash when flying it at slower speeds and it would snap out. Slow circuits are not the same as doing aerobatics. I have a friend who owns an Ultra Flash and he agrees with Todd, you have to keep the speed up when doing aerobatics with the Ultra Flash or it will snap out on you. My friend was always trying to do things at a slower speeds and would always complain about the Ultra Flash snapping, so much so he just would fly it around and do nothing else. He just recently decided to attempt aerobatics again after we had a discussion about adding/maintaining some speed while performing the maneuvers. Once he added some speed he had no more issues snapping. Knowing that now he no longer fears doing aerobatics and is enjoying his Ultra Flash like it is a new bird. I also realize speed is a relative term. What seems fast to Todd and my friend may be considered slow to some of you so when you do your maneuvers with your Ultra Flash you don't see yourself as going fast.
I don't think Todd or my friend is trying to say the Ultra Flash is not capable of aerobatics, the aerobatics just have to be done at what they consider a higher rate of speed on the Ultra Flash as compared to other models on the market which are capable of doing the same maneuvers at a lower rate of speed which may give someone like myself who is relatively new to turbines more time to think/react when doing aerobatics. Todd was giving an opinion from his experience as the Ultra Flash being his first turbine and letting others know the Ultra Flash may not be the ideal turbine trainer when learning how to do aerobatics with a jet. That is what I am taking from his post.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:37 PM
Dave Wilshere

You can get any airframe to high speed G stall, so speed is not your friend, but at a speed that anyone might attempt aerobatics with an UF it does not show a tendency to snap.
I get that different pilots have a different feel (or not) and the way a particular airframe behaves when being manhandled around the sky. Videos don’t really show speed management very well, but watch some. I’m telling you we have lots of pilots who fly quite low energy aerobatics with the UF and have no issues.

it’s way the most popular sports jet in the UK and flown by so many levels of pilots, yes some struggle more than others to become comfortable over the whole flight envelope, but they generally get there and I don’t remember anyone here talking about snapping in aerobatics...

Old 01-15-2020, 01:15 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pcskyhi View Post
I think you should all go back and read carefully what Len Todd said. Todd said he had issues doing aerobatics when flying the Ultra Flash slow. He did not say the Ultra flash could not fly slow, he said he was having trouble doing aerobatics with the Ultra Flash when flying it at slower speeds and it would snap out. Slow circuits are not the same as doing aerobatics. I have a friend who owns an Ultra Flash and he agrees with Todd, you have to keep the speed up when doing aerobatics with the Ultra Flash or it will snap out on you. My friend was always trying to do things at a slower speeds and would always complain about the Ultra Flash snapping, so much so he just would fly it around and do nothing else. He just recently decided to attempt aerobatics again after we had a discussion about adding/maintaining some speed while performing the maneuvers. Once he added some speed he had no more issues snapping. Knowing that now he no longer fears doing aerobatics and is enjoying his Ultra Flash like it is a new bird. I also realize speed is a relative term. What seems fast to Todd and my friend may be considered slow to some of you so when you do your maneuvers with your Ultra Flash you don't see yourself as going fast.
I don't think Todd or my friend is trying to say the Ultra Flash is not capable of aerobatics, the aerobatics just have to be done at what they consider a higher rate of speed on the Ultra Flash as compared to other models on the market which are capable of doing the same maneuvers at a lower rate of speed which may give someone like myself who is relatively new to turbines more time to think/react when doing aerobatics. Todd was giving an opinion from his experience as the Ultra Flash being his first turbine and letting others know the Ultra Flash may not be the ideal turbine trainer when learning how to do aerobatics with a jet. That is what I am taking from his post.
Well, I agree that this jet was not meant to do slow aerobatics. Leave that to the Rebel/ T-1/Futura type sport jets.
I also agree that it is not an ideal first turbine jet.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:02 AM
LewisE1

I am on my 3rd flash over a 10 year period, I did have a break for a few years from flying but as a average sports pilot I would now not be without one, the plane used to be a bit fast for me with a 140 and that put me off my previous 2, I always loved the model but found it was always getting ahead of me a bit, but since my experience has built and I now have a 9.5kg evo with 100 turbine I love the model and now I am considering a bigger turbine, although even with a 100 if you keep it pinned for half a circuit there is enough speed for most of the sites we fly from due to no fly zones etc, I have never had mine snap, and my current model has crow, and I find it lands slow and pretty easy, what I do like is the precise flying and if you want some fast action it offers that too, so a great little jet.