Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying the CompARF UltraFlash Evo ?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone flying the CompARF UltraFlash Evo ?

Old 10-29-2019, 05:15 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone flying the CompARF UltraFlash Evo ?

Hello
I'm looking for feedback and opinions from anyone who has built/flown the 'new' CompARF UltraFlash EVO. Considering this plane as a '2m size, 140 size' sport jet for acrobatics, not speed.
https://carf-models.com/en/products/uf-evo

It appears to be a bit different internally than the original UltraFlash, but I can't find a lot about the new version online here or on other forums and there is no build manual or details on the CompARF website. It appears to be not that popular of an airframe?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:35 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

I think it is popular, counting mine there are 3 EVOs at my local flying field. I have not flown mine yet and didn't get it finished before the snow hit this week. Hope to fly it before the end of the year though. The two guys flying theirs here love them, and one guy had the original and the EVO and seems very happy. Here are a few pics of mine.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:02 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (113)

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON View Post
I think it is popular, counting mine there are 3 EVOs at my local flying field. I have not flown mine yet and didn't get it finished before the snow hit this week. Hope to fly it before the end of the year though. The two guys flying theirs here love them, and one guy had the original and the EVO and seems very happy. Here are a few pics of mine.

Do you happen to know the auw on your evo?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Iíve had a classic, ultra, and have an ultra flash Evo on the way.
I should have it the first week of November.
My ultra flash weighed 22.5 pounds dry.
I will be powering my Evo with the exact same engine my ultra had so Iíll be anxious to see if the weight difference is as advertised.
I think thereís a considerable amount of evos flying out there.
They are not totally revolutionary compared to ultra so thatís probably why you are not hearing much about them.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:08 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure you balance it at 230mm with a 1/4 tank.

22lb is a light std UF, we have seen them built heavy close to 30lb!
Old 10-30-2019, 06:13 AM
Len Todd

First off, I know there are many pilots who love their UFs. I chalk that up to either brand loyalty, exceptional pilot experience, or their main interest being high speeds. But to me, my UF is my least fun jet plane to fly. I bring the below up because the original post mentioned aerobatics with a UF type plane. Also, there was mention to not seeing a lot of them around.

My Ultra flash is slightly over 24#. I have fiddled with the CG dozens of times to get it to stop snapping. So far, it has unexpectedly snapped on me 11 times and survived. I have had several very good pilots tell me the CG is right on the money. But, even with the CG correct, I slow it down, and it may unexpectedly snap. I like aerobatics with jets. The UF is just a slippery speed demon. Also, trying to get it down on a short runway takes a lot of practice. IMO: Compared to other planes, the UF is not that great for aerobatics unless you like high speed aerobatics.

Some folks say the UFs are really built well to take high speed aerobatics. I believe that as I have seen and done that. But, I do not like the stab that close to the ground. One bounce during landing and the elevator's control horns hit on the asphalt. Also, I have had trouble with the elevator hinges cracking. Had to replace one stab because of ground contact. Now, the replacement stab is glued to stop the hinge cracking and its elevator's nor control horns have never touched the ground.

A lot of the problems that I had with a UF relates to it being my first sport jet. Bad mistake. IMO: It is NOT a good jet to make the transition to sport jets. After some landing coaching from one of the best RC pilots in the country, I can fly and land it fine now. But it still is not that enjoyable to fly when I try something at slower speeds, ... waiting for it to possibly snap! With over a hundred flights on it, I still avoid low and slow. But, al least I now can get it to land and stop on < 300' of asphalt. But, it took a lot of practice and coaching to get there. Also, make sure your brakes are working correctly or you have a long runway because I have never seen one come in really slowly, like a lot of other sport jets can!

IMO: If you want a highly maneuverable plane for aerobatics, I would look elsewhere, unless you are a very experienced and truly a great jet pilot. Then have at it. I have seen some of the best pilots in the country flying UFs w/o any issues. But they all stay flying fast and high once they start doing aerobatics with a UF.

Just my thoughts on the UF design. There are a lot of other great sport jets out there that will do aerobatics at slow speeds without unexpected results. But the UF is really great if you are satisfied with high speed passes, unlimited verticals and other straight line maneuvers. Again, these are just my thoughts as I transitioned to sport jets with over 100 flights on the UF and seen them fly at various events around the country and here at the RC Park.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:13 AM
AEROSHELDON

Originally Posted by txshan130 View Post
Do you happen to know the auw on your evo?
I'm sorry but I do not.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:11 AM
Dave Wilshere

Len

Still don't understand your situation. I have lots of people who have gone Xcalibur to Ultra Flash, many of those fly from our 350' grass strip surrounded by ploughed farmers field, they don't struggle as you describe. I bet I can out slow fly most jets with my UF, full flap circuits and figure 8's-OK mine is around the 22lb mark, but that's not the difference. Sometime I'll hook up with a video guy and get some footage, while we are at it I'll get some normal club pilots flights videoed. It very much is an aerobatic model at moderate speeds,mine holds knife edge horizon to horizon at a little over half throttle.

Dave

Here is a quick search, this is P-100 powered, hardly flown fast. Neil is a good pilot, but I'm sure he does not rate himself a super star
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm7zVoRzIeM

<iframe width="1024" height="768" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hm7zVoRzIeM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Dave Wilshere; 10-30-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Len Todd

iDave:

Just relaying my experience with the UF design. With over a hundred flight on it and it still being in one piece, I think I have enough experience with it to say how I feel it performs when compared to the other jets I have flown. I do not sell jets, and I am not brand loyal. So I feel my opinion on the UF design is valid.

By the way, I felt the UF instruction manual was great. I learned a lot from it. I would suspect that if one looks at a Flash or UltraFlash manual, it would get it close to a perfect build.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:34 PM
LewisE1

I have had a classic years ago, used to scare me to death lol, had a ultra flash but sold it now have a evo, the evo performs pretty much the same as the ultra flash, but I donít fly around crazy fast, at the moment I have a 100 size turbine in it and the weight is 9.5kg, and for me this works great, light and still enough power, I like the precise flying of the flash, I have never had a problem with this or or my last one snapping and we fly off 160m grass site no problem
Old 10-30-2019, 02:13 PM
AEROSHELDON

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
Make sure you balance it at 230mm with a 1/4 tank.

22lb is a light std UF, we have seen them built heavy close to 30lb!
Is 1/4 tank just that bulge filled up?
Old 10-30-2019, 02:43 PM
Dave Wilshere

Just a little more than that. The sump will always have some fuel in it, so fill it so that you can see fuel at the front of the tank sitting level.

Dave
Old 10-30-2019, 02:50 PM
AEROSHELDON

Thank you
Old 10-30-2019, 02:59 PM
paulhat

Originally Posted by Len Todd View Post
First off, I know there are many pilots who love their UFs. I chalk that up to either brand loyalty, exceptional pilot experience, or their main interest being high speeds. But to me, my UF is my least fun jet plane to fly. I bring the below up because the original post mentioned aerobatics with a UF type plane. Also, there was mention to not seeing a lot of them around.

My Ultra flash is slightly over 24#. I have fiddled with the CG dozens of times to get it to stop snapping. So far, it has unexpectedly snapped on me 11 times and survived. I have had several very good pilots tell me the CG is right on the money. But, even with the CG correct, I slow it down, and it may unexpectedly snap. I like aerobatics with jets. The UF is just a slippery speed demon. Also, trying to get it down on a short runway takes a lot of practice. IMO: Compared to other planes, the UF is not that great for aerobatics unless you like high speed aerobatics.

Some folks say the UFs are really built well to take high speed aerobatics. I believe that as I have seen and done that. But, I do not like the stab that close to the ground. One bounce during landing and the elevator's control horns hit on the asphalt. Also, I have had trouble with the elevator hinges cracking. Had to replace one stab because of ground contact. Now, the replacement stab is glued to stop the hinge cracking and its elevator's nor control horns have never touched the ground.

A lot of the problems that I had with a UF relates to it being my first sport jet. Bad mistake. IMO: It is NOT a good jet to make the transition to sport jets. After some landing coaching from one of the best RC pilots in the country, I can fly and land it fine now. But it still is not that enjoyable to fly when I try something at slower speeds, ... waiting for it to possibly snap! With over a hundred flights on it, I still avoid low and slow. But, al least I now can get it to land and stop on < 300' of asphalt. But, it took a lot of practice and coaching to get there. Also, make sure your brakes are working correctly or you have a long runway because I have never seen one come in really slowly, like a lot of other sport jets can!

IMO: If you want a highly maneuverable plane for aerobatics, I would look elsewhere, unless you are a very experienced and truly a great jet pilot. Then have at it. I have seen some of the best pilots in the country flying UFs w/o any issues. But they all stay flying fast and high once they start doing aerobatics with a UF.

Just my thoughts on the UF design. There are a lot of other great sport jets out there that will do aerobatics at slow speeds without unexpected results. But the UF is really great if you are satisfied with high speed passes, unlimited verticals and other straight line maneuvers. Again, these are just my thoughts as I transitioned to sport jets with over 100 flights on the UF and seen them fly at various events around the country and here at the RC Park.
I have owned 3 of these now (standard UF). Surely they would have to be one of the easiest and most forgiving of all the sport jets. They just fly like a dream. Point and shoot. No bad habits at all.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:59 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd View Post

I am seeing the word "slow" way too many times in this post! The last statement of your second sentence is 100% accurate about this jet. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY buys an Ultra Flash with the word SLOW in mind. I sure didn't. I also have ZERO interest in harriering or hovering or even stick slam/tumbling a JET. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
This guy. He flies the Ultra Flash the way it was meant to be flown:

Last edited by bodywerks; 01-11-2020 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:09 AM
Dave Wilshere

Mmm really! Then he should practice landings too 😉

The UF has a really good speed range, one of the best overall difference I would say.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:14 PM
bodywerks

His flying skill gives him a pass on his landing skill, but at least he 'stuck' it.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Afterburners

Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
His flying skill gives him a pass on his landing skill, but at least he 'stuck' it.
I don't know how that thing stuck. I enjoy flying the UF as I think it has a wing built like a battleship and I don't worry about pulling hard on it when at speed but I've had the thing get in the kangaroo bounce on landing even when it almost seems like it's ready to stall six inches off the ground. Do I need stiffer springs? I've got the behotec gear. I've never had it snap on me BTW.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:58 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Afterburners View Post
I don't know how that thing stuck. I enjoy flying the UF as I think it has a wing built like a battleship and I don't worry about pulling hard on it when at speed but I've had the thing get in the kangaroo bounce on landing even when it almost seems like it's ready to stall six inches off the ground. Do I need stiffer springs? I've got the behotec gear. I've never had it snap on me BTW.
Agree on kangaroo bounce. I've seen it a lot in videos. IMO, they are probably too nose-heavy, which would cause them to stall at a higher speed and lower angle of attack, which causes the nose to touch down first, which is the real instigator of the kangaroo bounce I think.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:01 PM
Afterburners

Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
Agree on kangaroo bounce. I've seen it a lot in videos. IMO, they are probably too nose-heavy, which would cause them to stall at a higher speed and lower angle of attack, which causes the nose to touch down first, which is the real instigator of the kangaroo bounce I think.
Will have to check on that.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:18 AM
Dave Wilshere

Even really nose heavy they will land without bouncing...but like you say if the nose touches first it will bounce, that’s just how much and how long you flare. Then the most common mistake is when it bounces the first time if you try and make it ‘land’ again by releasing the elevator OR putting down it Will bounce and big time! After the first bounce pull up in to re-flare, the model will do another 30-40’ before it touches the ground again and would have lost energy.enough to stick.

There is way more pilot skill in flying slow than 200mph aerobatics...

Old 01-12-2020, 01:43 AM
bodywerks

Sure, but "slow' and 'jet' don't belong together IMO. And I see no point in flying at the verge of a stall for any extended period of time if you don't have to, especially with a jet. It's not visually exciting and it's not what jets were meant to do! If I wan't to fly slow, I'll bust out my gliders and go sniff out a thermal.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:43 PM
paulhat

Fast jets are pretty cool.
I must say though. That video of Martin Pickering slow flying the big F-16 is bloody awesome!!
Old 01-12-2020, 04:28 PM
bodywerks

The 4 meter long one? That jet is impressive just sitting there.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:44 PM
AEROSHELDON

All jets are cool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.