Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Swiwin Turbines

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Swiwin Turbines

Old 07-20-2022, 11:42 PM
BobFlint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba SBUS2 telemetry issue continued

Hi guys,, sorry to drag this thread back to the SBUS2/Telemetry/throttle topic,, but!!!!

I'm installing a SW140b into a model with a BoomaRC Smoothflite16,, this uses 2X Futaba 7008 RX's for redundancy...

The problem: if you run a throttle cable from the Smoothflite16 to the PPM port, you get throttle input working fine, if you turn off the Tx, the Smoothflite16 sends a failsafe signal to the ecu to say stop, that's fine. Now you plug in your cable from the telemetry port to SBUS2 port, the telemetry works fine, but the engine has (as we know) a built in SBUS decoder, and picks out the throttle channel data streaming out of the SBUS2 port on the Rx, which over-rides the signal coming in from the PPM port. you still get throttle input, but now only from that one Rx, it stops the use of the Smoothflite16 Rx redundancy.. you are not supposed to use failsafe on the Tx, as apparently that can cause "jitters" to the Smoothflite16... so now, if I turn the Tx off, the engine won't stop, it just "Holds" idle... (by our regulations, it must stop).

Is there a way to stop the ECU from looking at the SBUS data stream for throttle input, while still streaming out the telemetry data??? OR preferencing PPM input over SBUS2 input?

I tried the SBUS Thr channel setting, hoping you could disable it,, but all you can do is select another channel...

I can't be the only one using a Swiwin with a Smoothflite16/26 or Powerbox etc etc????

Has anyone worked this one out???

Cheers

Bob Flint
Old 07-21-2022, 04:40 PM
more

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobFlint
Hi guys,, sorry to drag this thread back to the SBUS2/Telemetry/throttle topic,, but!!!!

I'm installing a SW140b into a model with a BoomaRC Smoothflite16,, this uses 2X Futaba 7008 RX's for redundancy...

The problem: if you run a throttle cable from the Smoothflite16 to the PPM port, you get throttle input working fine, if you turn off the Tx, the Smoothflite16 sends a failsafe signal to the ecu to say stop, that's fine. Now you plug in your cable from the telemetry port to SBUS2 port, the telemetry works fine, but the engine has (as we know) a built in SBUS decoder, and picks out the throttle channel data streaming out of the SBUS2 port on the Rx, which over-rides the signal coming in from the PPM port. you still get throttle input, but now only from that one Rx, it stops the use of the Smoothflite16 Rx redundancy.. you are not supposed to use failsafe on the Tx, as apparently that can cause "jitters" to the Smoothflite16... so now, if I turn the Tx off, the engine won't stop, it just "Holds" idle... (by our regulations, it must stop).

Is there a way to stop the ECU from looking at the SBUS data stream for throttle input, while still streaming out the telemetry data??? OR preferencing PPM input over SBUS2 input?

I tried the SBUS Thr channel setting, hoping you could disable it,, but all you can do is select another channel...

I can't be the only one using a Swiwin with a Smoothflite16/26 or Powerbox etc etc????

Has anyone worked this one out???

Cheers

Bob Flint
You have to choose between redundancy(by PPM port from SF16) or telemetry(by S.Bus2 port from one receiver).
Old 07-21-2022, 04:50 PM
BobFlint

Originally Posted by more
You have to choose between redundancy(by PPM port from SF16) or telemetry(by S.Bus2 port from one receiver).
Hi mate, thanks for your reply,, that’s basically the conclusion I came up with, I’ve chosen Rx redundancy over telemetry…

I’d love it, if in an upcoming firmware update, that you could turn the (SBUS) Thr CH parameter to “invalid” just like the SBUS Aux CH parameter,, that way you could run throttle into the PPM port from your powerbox/Smoothflite and still have telemetry flowing out of ECU and into SBUS2 port, WITHOUT it picking off Throttle Channel data…

Futaba Telemetry…. It never ceases to trip me up,,, one way or another….

Old 02-03-2023, 09:46 PM
andrewjet
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend has a brand new Swiwin 80 and it is popping after startup once it reaches idle and ready, could this be because the pump has been set too high? Is there a standard pump setting for California?
Old 04-21-2023, 11:27 AM
rickisound

Default AR14400T powersafe anomaly

Hi Guys , after many tests, I managed to make the swiwin telemetry work with the AR14400T, the only way is to turn on the receiver using the button and immediately after the LEDs turn on, quickly press the button again, probably doing so the simultaneity of the supply voltages occurs and the telemetry of the Xbus port starts

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

best regard
Riccardo
Old 11-08-2023, 05:06 PM
pzar

Much has been written about the Spektrum Powersafe receivers and Swiwin turbines and getting the telemetry to work. I have the cable that provide power for the ECU from the xbuss cable. I get the data fields showing up on NX10 receiver screen but no data.....have all the updated software in receiver and transmitter.....I have spent significant time on this effort but no turbine telemetry......any ideas ?????
Old 12-13-2023, 07:49 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CRX Turbines
Ceeray, Others have told me 11ms is the magic number. 16 will definitely enable you to connect Jeti with the Swiwin ECU.

Andy
Finishing up my turbine install and ran into the same problem with ECU and my Jeti, thankfully found this thread and set to 11ms. Finally able to get it set up. Question now is, how does this frame rate affect other servos?