Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Swiwin Turbines

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Swiwin Turbines

Old 02-12-2021, 03:18 PM
rangerpaul

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EDFjetpilot
I use a Futaba 16SZ and set the gear ratio to 1.2

I'm not sure if the "MZ" telemetry programming is different than the "SZ", so crosscheck your RPM between the GSU and your transmitter to verify they're saying the same thing.

Sean

P.S. Looking at your setup, I don't think you need the ECU PPM to Rx Ch3 cable for throttle. I run mine from ECU Telemetry to Rx SBus2 only for throttle...just ensure the GSU/ECU throttle setting is set for Ch3. Maybe the tech experts here can comment if the way you have it establishes throttle redundancy.
Sean - an interesting observation that I hope the tech experts will chime in on. I use Futaba in all of my planes. It is my understanding that the SBUS2 connection is to be used only for telemetry connections and not for throttle or servos. It is my understanding that throttle and servo connections are only made via the SBUS (not SBUS2) or directly to channel connections on the receiver. Can anyone tell us what is true?
Old 02-12-2021, 03:23 PM
rangerpaul

Something else to look at - page 13 of the CRX Swiwin Manual shows these two connections being made from the receiver to the ECU with the throttle connected to PPM. Now, CRX illustration is for a Spektrum Receiver but I would think Futaba would be the same?
Old 02-12-2021, 05:19 PM
EDFjetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerpaul
Something else to look at - page 13 of the CRX Swiwin Manual shows these two connections being made from the receiver to the ECU with the throttle connected to PPM. Now, CRX illustration is for a Spektrum Receiver but I would think Futaba would be the same?
I set up my Futaba telemetry referencing videos by both Bad Boyz RC and Thomas Chiang, so hopefully they can clarify.

Sean
Old 02-12-2021, 07:12 PM
rangerpaul

I set up my Futaba telemetry referencing videos by both Bad Boyz RC and Thomas Chiang, so hopefully they can clarify.

Sean
Sean - I went back and watched both the Bad Boyz RC and Thomas Chiang videos and you are right. Both only use two data line connections, not three. They use the SBUS2 and do not connect the throttle to channel 3 directly on the receiver. I removed my third data line between channel 3 on the receiver and PPM on the ECU and it works just the same. So I am not sure why the CRX manual shows two data lines coming from the receiver to the ECU and one being from throttle to PPM. Chaing's video is much older and apparently there is no "Telemetry" plug in named on the ECU. He refers to Data Bus instead. The Bad Boyz video is much more recent and they do refer to a "Telemetry" assignment on the ECU. So for now, I have removed the third throttle line. I would still like to hear from a tech expert why they both work and which one is the safe connection for flight. But, thanks for bringing this to my attention as I am here to learn!
Old 02-12-2021, 07:14 PM
rangerpaul

Originally Posted by arizcowboy
call I'll talk you thru all the settings
arizcowboy - would you mind explaining why both types of connections outlined above work with Futaba and which one is the correct safe connection?? Thanks!
Old 02-12-2021, 08:11 PM
EDFjetpilot

Sean - I went back and watched both the Bad Boyz RC and Thomas Chiang videos and you are right. Both only use two data line connections, not three. They use the SBUS2 and do not connect the throttle to channel 3 directly on the receiver. I removed my third data line between channel 3 on the receiver and PPM on the ECU and it works just the same. So I am not sure why the CRX manual shows two data lines coming from the receiver to the ECU and one being from throttle to PPM. Chaing's video is much older and apparently there is no "Telemetry" plug in named on the ECU. He refers to Data Bus instead. The Bad Boyz video is much more recent and they do refer to a "Telemetry" assignment on the ECU. So for now, I have removed the third throttle line. I would still like to hear from a tech expert why they both work and which one is the safe connection for flight. But, thanks for bringing this to my attention as I am here to learn!
I'm still learning too. I've got around 14 flights on my plane with a SW80 and R7014SB using the single Rx SBUS2 to ECU Telemetry connection carrying the throttle and telemetry data...so far no issues...but I too would like to verify that it is still safe to fly in that configuration.

And actually, in my last 4 flights, I installed a hub so I can run GPS as well. So my configuration is Rx SBUS2, to hub, then ECU Telemetry (with throttle) and GPS Sensor plugged into the hub. Thus if anyone sees a problem with this, please chime in.

Sean

Last edited by EDFjetpilot; 02-12-2021 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Added.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:44 PM
rangerpaul

I'm still learning too. I've got around 14 flights on my plane with a SW80 and R7014SB using the single Rx SBUS2 to ECU Telemetry connection carrying the throttle and telemetry data...so far no issues...but I too would like to verify that it is still safe to fly in that configuration.

And actually, in my last 4 flights, I installed a hub so I can run GPS as well. So my configuration is Rx SBUS2, to hub, then ECU Telemetry (with throttle) and GPS Sensor plugged into the hub. Thus if anyone sees a problem with this, please chime in.

Sean
Sean - I am curious how you defuel. I listed it above. Do you leave fuel in your UAT or do you have to turn your plane upside down to defuel in order to also empty the UAT?
Old 02-12-2021, 08:52 PM
EDFjetpilot

Sean - I am curious how you defuel. I listed it above. Do you leave fuel in your UAT or do you have to turn your plane upside down to defuel in order to also empty the UAT?
I leave the fuel in the UAT since I fly regularly. From what I've read on other threads, if you need to store your planes in the off season for months at a time, either drain the UAT or use a biocide.

Sean
Old 02-13-2021, 03:48 AM
Maddmaxx1

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using one connection to the sbus2 on the Futaba RX for 3 years now and have never had any problems at all.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:59 AM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts

This was a fun video to put together! It's a long one but there is lots of info in here.

The following users liked this post:
Skunkwrks (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 12:06 PM
rangerpaul

Originally Posted by Canadian Man
This was a fun video to put together! It's a long one but there is lots of info in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXg-5aAfbDY
Jonathan - Thanks for the video it was very well done. But, it did not really address the question I have regarding connecting the throttle from the receiver to the GSU. I see in your video you have connected your receiver to the PPM port on the GSU and I assume this is your throttle connection. If you were to desire to use the telemetry features I would assume you would connect the SBUS2 port on your receiver to the Telemetry port on the GSU? If that is true, you would have two data lines connecting your receiver to the GSU which is how I set up my test stand. If you look up in the thread there has been a discussion that this may not be the way to do it. Others have a single data line from the SBUS2 port of their receiver to the Telemetry port on the GSU and do not connect a throttle line from their receiver to the PPM port on the GSU. The question we have been discussing is which is actually the correct safe way to connect the throttle to the GSU? Can you help us out here?
Old 02-13-2021, 04:52 PM
MarkF

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Vey nice video CM. I am looking to purchase my first turbine and it will be a Swiwin 190B My friend runs this turbine on kero and recently switched to diesel. He thought it had more power using diesel. Any chance you can run your motor on diesel and see if you get an increase. I have seen many post of people claiming they saw an increase, but you have a test stand that would prove it or not. Anyway great review and thanks for taking the time to do your videos.
Canadian Man (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 07:30 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey RangerPaul,

The Nashville group usually fly at Peeler Park in Madison, Tn. I personally have no experience with the Swiwin turbines, but there is a local flyers who does. I might be able to assist with some of your other questions regarding turbine setup. Send me a PM with you contact information if interested.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:40 AM
Canadian Man

Cool

Jonathan - Thanks for the video it was very well done. But, it did not really address the question I have regarding connecting the throttle from the receiver to the GSU. I see in your video you have connected your receiver to the PPM port on the GSU and I assume this is your throttle connection. If you were to desire to use the telemetry features I would assume you would connect the SBUS2 port on your receiver to the Telemetry port on the GSU? If that is true, you would have two data lines connecting your receiver to the GSU which is how I set up my test stand. If you look up in the thread there has been a discussion that this may not be the way to do it. Others have a single data line from the SBUS2 port of their receiver to the Telemetry port on the GSU and do not connect a throttle line from their receiver to the PPM port on the GSU. The question we have been discussing is which is actually the correct safe way to connect the throttle to the GSU? Can you help us out here?
While I haven't played around with it specifically here are my thoughts on it.
Method 1. Connected like I did in the video. PPM port connected to throttle channel on receiver. No telemetry.
Method 2. Connected PPM port to throttle on Rec and Telemetry on receiver connected to Telemetry port on GSU. I tried this. I run JR DMSS Protocol so I didn't get any telemetry data.
Method 3. I didn't try connected this to my receiver as an SBUS/Xbus System as I figured it wouldn't work as JR protocol is Xbus and Sbus is mentioned. If using the Bus setup works and you get 1. control and 2. telemetry data than should work fine.

Probably not helpful at all but.....
Old 02-14-2021, 07:43 AM
Canadian Man

Originally Posted by MarkF
Vey nice video CM. I am looking to purchase my first turbine and it will be a Swiwin 190B My friend runs this turbine on kero and recently switched to diesel. He thought it had more power using diesel. Any chance you can run your motor on diesel and see if you get an increase. I have seen many post of people claiming they saw an increase, but you have a test stand that would prove it or not. Anyway great review and thanks for taking the time to do your videos.
Diesel will end up being more fuel efficient as it has more omffff. a turbine running at 115K rpm has the same amount of push no matter what fuel it runs. So maybe initially you might get a higher rpm but as soon as the ecu calibrates itself and limits it to it's max rpm again the results are the same.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:48 AM
rangerpaul

Originally Posted by Canadian Man
While I haven't played around with it specifically here are my thoughts on it.
Method 1. Connected like I did in the video. PPM port connected to throttle channel on receiver. No telemetry.
Method 2. Connected PPM port to throttle on Rec and Telemetry on receiver connected to Telemetry port on GSU. I tried this. I run JR DMSS Protocol so I didn't get any telemetry data.
Method 3. I didn't try connected this to my receiver as an SBUS/Xbus System as I figured it wouldn't work as JR protocol is Xbus and Sbus is mentioned. If using the Bus setup works and you get 1. control and 2. telemetry data than should work fine.

Probably not helpful at all but.....
Thanks for the reply! I have tried both setups. Channel 3 throttle to PPM and SBUS2 to Telemetry. Only SBUS2 to Telemetry. In both setups I get identical results - throttle control and telemetry data. I was just wondering which way is the correct, safe connection? I have watched many videos online and I see both setups being used. Maybe it really does not matter. It is just in my Futaba manual it states that the SBUS2 connection is to be used only for Telemetry and not for channel or servo connections. It says channel and servo connections are to be made either directly to the channel outputs on the receiver or to the SBUS (not SBUS2) connection.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:10 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Great vid CM, I would also be interested in a comparison of Kero and Diesel fuels and the actual difference in power between the two. We know the theoretical differences but it would be nice to see the actual numbers. Also if you could re-do the learn RC function between running the two fuels.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Swiwin for my next project, also thinking about making the switch to Kero from Diesel when I do.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

On my KT motors they make more power which can be seen in longer flight times (not using as much throttle to achieve the same flight performance)

Diesel have higher energy density
Old 02-14-2021, 09:46 AM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

My view is with using Kero on this turbine, if you have access to cheap Kero or your not a back to back flier use Kero. If you like flying 5+ times when your at the field diesel is the way to go, I was resistant on making the switch from kero to diesel but I am glad I did and so is my wallet. I did notice a slight increase in thrust switching to diesel. Using commercial heavy duty black bags (Homedepot) to keep my 5Gal can when it is inside my SUV without any smell works great, a tip from Yeahbaby, (Buck)

Also for either fuel I used Kingtech oil.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:32 AM
camss69

Originally Posted by F900
My view is with using Kero on this turbine, if you have access to cheap Kero or your not a back to back flier use Kero. If you like flying 5+ times when your at the field diesel is the way to go, I was resistant on making the switch from kero to diesel but I am glad I did and so is my wallet. I did notice a slight increase in thrust switching to diesel. Using commercial heavy duty black bags (Homedepot) to keep my 5Gal can when it is inside my SUV without any smell works great, a tip from Yeahbaby, (Buck)

Also for either fuel I used Kingtech oil.
I do the same, put my fuel cans in garbage bags when in the back of my car. Especially the gasoline ones. I get as much air out as I can and then wrap the bag tight under the handle. Can’t stand the smell of either diesel or gas.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:21 PM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Telemetry connection will depend on your RX setup, i.e., Spectrum, Jeti, Futaba or other. The throttle is via the PPM port. GSU to GSU port. Telemetry is via telemetry port.

If you have questions, feel free to reach out to us.

SwiwinUSA.com
CRX Turbines

Andy Fioretti

Skunkwrks (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 07:11 PM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Found this on Youtube about testing different types of fuel in our engines, can answer some questions about fuel types and energy.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:15 PM
camss69

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks
Found this on Youtube about testing different types of fuel in our engines, can answer some questions about fuel types and energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfWCWZdfuc&t=4s
I’ve seen that one, I think he needed to redo learn RC between fuels. Only the first fuel got to 100% rpm.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:28 PM
rangerpaul

Originally Posted by CRX Turbines
Telemetry connection will depend on your RX setup, i.e., Spectrum, Jeti, Futaba or other. The throttle is via the PPM port. GSU to GSU port. Telemetry is via telemetry port.

If you have questions, feel free to reach out to us.

SwiwinUSA.com
CRX Turbines

Andy Fioretti
Andy - Thanks for providing clarification. I will add my throttle to PPM cable back. It is interesting though that it seems to work with our without the cable for Futaba. Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2021, 07:29 PM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by camss69
I’ve seen that one, I think he needed to redo learn RC between fuels. Only the first fuel got to 100% rpm.
I'm guessing he needs to adjust pump voltage to get the same rpm 98,000 , other rpm tests except,frozen diesel 93000 rpm, didn't get near to 98000 rpm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.