Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 08:13 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default T-One Models F22 Raptor build thread

Ok its time to build the production version of the T-one F22! The prototype flew great that I built last year but this plane is much different and a much more polished product then the prototype as expected. Now I am a rep so full disclosure but I build allot of aircraft for people and I can say nothing on the market comes close to the quality of this aircraft right out of the box on a scale jet. Normally when I do a build I take the included hardware pack and all airlines and toss it into the trash can. Not this model. The factory has quality stuff included. The air T fittings are my favorite. The airline is good airline and holds up well.

I will be using the gear from the prototype so I will need to do a gear install. I don't think anyone else will need to do it since the gear and doors come installed. I need to have this plane done by FLjets so its going to go quick. Feel free to post pics of your builds and questions on this thread. It should hopefully full the void of no instructions.

This plane is not for a new builder by any means. If you are unsure get the plugnplay version and have help to finish it off. It has allot of systems that can be overwhelming to a new pilot. When you break it all down its not to bad.

The plane is a fantastic flying plane. It has a very light wing loading and a complete joy to fly. With the thrust vectoring you can have some good fun with it. The production version seems a little lighter and it wont have the onboard airpump and extra battery the prototype had so should fly even better.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:27 AM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man this is so cool. I haven't really been an F-22 guy but I must say it has been slowly growing on me. Seeing you fly it live last year at FL jets was pretty neat. Good luck on the build, not that you need it.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:32 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by flyloose
Man this is so cool. I haven't really been an F-22 guy but I must say it has been slowly growing on me. Seeing you fly it live last year at FL jets was pretty neat. Good luck on the build, not that you need it.

I was not a fan until I saw it fly at an air show in person. Was blown away with it and fell in love .

thanks!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:34 AM
gunradd

Pics
Old 01-23-2020, 12:06 PM
Spencer K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks really nice Kris. I’d like to own one of these someday...
Old 01-23-2020, 07:24 PM
cycross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that T1 has incorporated one of my ideas/custom requests into their production model of this plane. My plane is from the initial batch, probably shortly after yours Kris. Good that they are open to upgrading. The rear fuse carbon slot in guide pins were not originally there but I needed an easier way to get the plane out of the house and assemble the aircraft together at the field without multiple supports. Hence the 4 pins. They also lend strength to the joint instead of plain screws alone. Here's a picture of mine.

I much enjoyed your build threads (YA, T1) and am eagerly looking forward to learning more from you to incorporate into my build as well. Many thanks for sharing.

Last edited by cycross; 01-23-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:02 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Hm I think that my brand new yellow f-22 arf is for sale right now 😀 , this is definitely on my list but for now I’m broke until something goes to make a room for this amazing f-22 .
Old 01-23-2020, 08:09 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sysiek
Hm I think that my brand new yellow f-22 arf is for sale right now 😀 , this is definitely on my list but for now I’m broke until something goes to make a room for this amazing f-22 .
Been a long time since I was excited about a jet build, I received all the electronics for mine today so I can start my build tomorrow. Its actually an ARF
Old 01-29-2020, 05:30 AM
gunradd

Ok the new servos came in! Very excited about these Accu torq servos we are selling now. They have smooth start very quite at idle and are very smooth.

was not sure how they would fit in the F22 since it was built for savox but they fit perfect.

I got moving last night on it.

I like to start at the tail section.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:42 AM
gunradd

First up was the elevators. It’s pretty straight forward.

don’t use rubber mounts for these. Use the included servo arm. Install ball onto the inner hole as shown in picture. Cut off the rest of the arm with a dremmel.

center servo ( I use a cheap ass center tool from eBay I got for like 6$). Install arm.

I stall servo in plane as shown.

the stabs are the same but if you fit them from left to right it will fit better on one side. So figure out the one that fits best and mark it with R or L. Trial fit them and figure out what trimming is needed to get decent throw. I have a picture with good throw and the trimming I did.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:47 AM
gunradd

Next up is the rudders.

very straight forward install but you must take your time to align the servo.

first center the servo. Then install the included torque rod fitting. Make sure your servo screw in long enough to have enough threads into the servo.

next install the servo but only install with on screw . I then trial fit the vertical and checked alignment. I keep doing this until I got the servo fitting to line up and slide into the rudder fitting. Once it’s lined up remove vertical and pre drill new holes and install the rest of the servo screws.

be careful not to chip the skin like I did installing the servo. Lucky for me I’m painting it so it’s no biggie to fix it.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:50 AM
gunradd

Tonight I’m going to get going on the thrust vectoring and light install in the tail section.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:32 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have done something like that using just a drop off goop glue and hold the servo with the rudder for 45 minutes and than drilled the screws holes and tided the servos, this was much easier at least for me.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:22 AM
cycross

I too had to trim the bits around the elevator servo horn to get decent throw, else the horn strikes the FG skin. In fact, I found that I had to turn up beyond TX 100% of normal limits to get good throw angles of the stab. Without, the maximum throw +/- is around 10-12 degrees. I managed to push it up better to about 24degrees now. Good to have the stretch, whether I will need it or not, remains to be seen.

As for the rudder servo installation, that was painful for me. I found that I had to raise and tilt the servo at a particular way in order to get the rudder removable.
I had no good technique, trial fitting all the while until I got it. It took me many many attempts.

Last edited by cycross; 01-29-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:59 AM
gunradd

I would highly recommend using savox or our new accutorq servos or any other servo with futaba splines and the same exact dimension's including output shaft location. If not you will have a tough time getting the flight controls to line up.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 AM
FenderBean

Cyross the rudder fitting should be 90 degree from how you have yours the cuts should be inline with the rudder
Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Cyross the rudder fitting should be 90 degree from how you have yours the cuts should be inline with the rudder
his is an early one it might not be the same Kieth. The ones we are building are like the seventh variation from the initial prototype. The factory is big on making things better.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:33 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by gunradd
his is an early one it might not be the same Kieth. The ones we are building are like the seventh variation from the initial prototype. The factory is big on making things better.
Roger Roger
Old 01-29-2020, 05:09 PM
gunradd

Thrust vectoring servos installed.

it’s pretty straight forward. Recommendations. I would use some metal self locking nuts on the rod end bolts. You also want to make sure you have a good amount of throw but not so much your turning you servo end points down and loosing allot of torque. Typical build practices

the thrust vectoring is allot of fun on the F22 and it helps the plane off the runway. The F22 has the cg set ahead of the main gear so it can be hard to rotate. The flaps and slats help with this but the thrust vectoring is the biggest help. When I’m taking off I have the vectoring and elevator cranked pretty hard until the nose gear lifts off then I almost go neutral on the stick. Takes a little practice but it’s nice not jumping off the runway.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:08 PM
cycross

Yes, per what Gunradd said, mine is an early version with some of the current upgrades only (guide pins and removable stabs). I am learning real-time now what new owners are benefitting as I am the only owner yet in my region and not seen the latest ones other than here. I will try to contribute while refraining from posting stuff which I am aware now is superseded in production, to avoid confusion.

I didn't realise the subtle detail about rudder posts having their pin orientation changed, couldn't have known. Thanks Kieth for the kind point-out. I can't change my spline orientation without having a whole new set of rudders so I am done with it.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:13 PM
cycross

the thrust vectoring is allot of fun on the F22 and it helps the plane off the runway. The F22 has the cg set ahead of the main gear so it can be hard to rotate. The flaps and slats help with this but the thrust vectoring is the biggest help. When I’m taking off I have the vectoring and elevator cranked pretty hard until the nose gear lifts off then I almost go neutral on the stick. Takes a little practice but it’s nice not jumping off the runway.
Can I ask, do you also land with the thrust vectoring enabled as well?

Old 01-30-2020, 04:46 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by cycross
Can I ask, do you also land with the thrust vectoring enabled as well?
Leave it on all the time. No rates full throw all the time. Its another flight control to aid in flight.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:53 AM
gunradd

Here is video from FLjets last year. Keep in mind I am still getting the feel for the aircraft at that time this video was done. By Kentucky I was wringing it out though. On this one it should only take a few flights to get her going good. This shows the take off. This Raptor is the only RC F22 I have flown that will do a consistent smooth take off like this. I could not use my old yellow F22 at TopGun simply because of how it took off. This Raptor would work great for scale competition and look forward to competing in the future with it.

I have flown the Jetlegend , yellow , and skymaster and none of them where even close to how this one flies.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:58 AM
gunradd

Forgot to add this plane likes to have a little up trim (kinda like an F16 does) so put that in before you fly so its not pulling so hard down at maiden.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:52 AM
FenderBean

Did you ever get a chance to verify what ever cg you used, sounds a bit nose heavy from your description?
does the factory have recommended cg?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.