Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

iX20, buy or donít buy?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

iX20, buy or donít buy?

Old 02-04-2020, 01:45 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default iX20, buy or donít buy?

I like my DX. Looking at the new transmitter. Whatís your opinion?
Old 02-04-2020, 01:59 PM
Len Todd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Dxes also. But I have learned, over the years, "never buy a first production run model!" Seen too many recalls and a couple crashes because of faulty transmitters. Once they get the bugs worked out, DXes are great! Probably will replace both my DX18s, next year.
The following users liked this post:
AndyAndrews (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:08 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

also, the unfamiliar territory of rid casts a heavy shadow on any new purchase right now, for me
Old 02-04-2020, 02:31 PM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by mongo View Post
also, the unfamiliar territory of rid casts a heavy shadow on any new purchase right now, for me

rid??
Old 02-04-2020, 02:40 PM
causeitflies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews View Post
rid??
Remote ID
Old 02-04-2020, 02:43 PM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by causeitflies View Post
Remote ID
Has this been an issue? Or are you talking about the FAA?
Old 02-04-2020, 02:46 PM
Digital Pilot

Andy, Hope you are well my friend.
Myself and many other have been using the IX20 for awhile now. Its been a rock solid radio for me. I'm flying all my stuff on it at this point. I feel the system is proven as they took all the tech from the IX12 and made it better, faster and the screen is amazing...

The programming is different from the DX radio but it takes no time at all to understand how it works. I'm sure you will see plenty of them used at the events this year if you want to wait and check them out.

As for the Radio Frequency Ident RFID that the FAA is suggesting, I'm sure it will be worked out. Keep flying and enjoy...
Old 02-04-2020, 06:33 PM
jetspud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt like the feel of the ix 20 so I made the big switch to Jeti.

David
Old 02-04-2020, 09:06 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jetspud View Post

David
I have the ix12 and I LOVE the feel. I also love what Spektrum was trying to do with this android interface, but man can it be slow sometimes, and it has a ton of bugs. Not enough to make it not useful. My buddy got the ix20. The operating system is 110% better - they basically fixed everything - and then they put it in a bulky, uncomfortable transmitter. I particularly can't stand the balance feel and hate the sliders. Sticking with the 12 for now. I handle my transmitters, don't use a strap, and fly with thumbs(I don't pinch), so transmitter feel is key. Which is why I won't switch to Jeti or Powerbox. They both look like they were made to sit in a tray. Admittedly, I haven't had a chance to handle the Powerbox Core, but can't see myself spending $2600 on a radio any time soon, either - I only paid $430 for the ix12 WITH a receiver!

Last edited by bodywerks; 02-04-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:17 AM
Spencer K
My Feedback: (14)

The radio works very well. Easy to program- easy to navigate. The feel is good although they definitely took a step back with plastic gimbals. The biggest negative is the battery life. If you make a full day of flying at the field the battery will not last- youíll soon be in the habit of turning the screen off when flying which is unfortunate when youíre trying to see telemetry data or timer remaining. Please address this spektrum...
Old 02-05-2020, 06:49 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Hey Andy I have the dx18 for years than the DX20 for very short period and than I sold it to use the 18 back they about the same but I just canít use the slides on the DX20 and want some money back, but now I have the new is20 and I do like the radio a lot this is well done product definitely much better than the other brands at least for me , there so much new features and possibilities no other product will give it to you so go ahead and buy one you will like it a lot and no need to change all the rxís .
Old 02-05-2020, 07:12 AM
Digital Pilot

Ohh and FYI, My model transfers where seamless with no issues at all. Once I got the supporting programs downloaded and setup it was super easy.. (Google Drive)
Old 02-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
I have the ix12 and I LOVE the feel. I also love what Spektrum was trying to do with this android interface, but man can it be slow sometimes, and it has a ton of bugs. Not enough to make it not useful. My buddy got the ix20. The operating system is 110% better - they basically fixed everything - and then they put it in a bulky, uncomfortable transmitter. I particularly can't stand the balance feel and hate the sliders. Sticking with the 12 for now. I handle my transmitters, don't use a strap, and fly with thumbs(I don't pinch), so transmitter feel is key. Which is why I won't switch to Jeti or Powerbox. They both look like they were made to sit in a tray. Admittedly, I haven't had a chance to handle the Powerbox Core, but can't see myself spending $2600 on a radio any time soon, either - I only paid $430 for the ix12 WITH a receiver!
i never use a strap or tray and the PB Core is super thin and comfortable, they did loads of research on hand and finger length in designing this. Most of my friends with it just hold too. I fly thumbs or thumbs and index finger without any issues
bodywerks (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 02:30 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by jetspud View Post

David
And, so it begins...😄🍿
Old 02-05-2020, 06:01 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I donít like the feel of a jeti so I will use anything other than that. So jeti fans should make a I love jeti page instead of posting on a spectrum thread.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:10 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Bravo Kris 👏
Old 02-05-2020, 06:39 PM
jetspud

I dont know if i love it yet.... Give me some time. But i was just telling my friend Andy what i did about radio upgrade. Im really just excited about a talking timer 😁 i had a 12x

Last edited by jetspud; 02-05-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
i donít like the feel of a jeti so i will use anything other than that. So jeti fans should make a i love jeti page instead of posting on a spectrum thread.
😭
Old 02-06-2020, 07:59 AM
pcskyhi

Talking

I don’t like the feel of a jeti so I will use anything other than that. So jeti fans should make a I love jeti page instead of posting on a spectrum thread.
Paying attention to the thread title, it appears to be a question so the person only stated why they did not buy the radio being discussed and mentioned the radio they prefer instead. I don't think the title of the thread makes this a spectrum thread only. Sounds like the person who made the comment actually had a chance to play with the radio that is the topic of the thread and only gave his opinion of it and added what he did find that he liked. So if anyone out there has any experience with this radio and did not like it just do not mention the radio you found that you do like or you may get verbally whacked (LOL).
I have two friends who had DX 18s for years. One of them recently purchased the ix20 and I was surprised when he immediately sold it because his fleet was heavily invested in Spektrum. He said the features were awesome but when he actually put it to use he did not care for the feel of the radio. I was even more surprised when he did not return to his Spektrum DX18 and jumped ship to another brand. My other friend with the DX18 also jumped ship to another brand also but I don't know his reason since he never checked out the ix20.

Last edited by pcskyhi; 02-06-2020 at 08:53 AM.
bodywerks (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:49 PM
bodywerks

Agree. I love my dx18 and still use it along with my ix12. It only took 2 minutes of handling the ix20 to know it wouldn't work for me.
Going to a jet event next weekend, hope to see, maybe handle a Core and Jeti. Really don't want to leave Spektrum, but I need more confidence in my radio than I currently have in the ix12, even though after programming with it, I know I want a touch screen, 'app- like' interface.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:06 PM
T_CAT

I'm often amazed how brand loyal some are, almost as if they have stake in the company. If the individuals are sponsored, do R&D, or own stock and partial ownership in a company, then I understand the loyalty and bias. If not, I find it odd. It happens often with brands of transmitter, turbines, etc. in this hobby. To some hobbyist, a brand can never do wrong, ever.

If a brand no longer travels the direction I feel is appropriate for my needs, I leave it behind like a bad habit and move on to something I prefer more.
ExFokkerFlyer (02-07-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 07:02 PM
bodywerks

Agree for the most part. But Spektrum rx features are enticing to me, and Spektrum has been 100% reliable in all my aircraft since like, 2008. Loyalty? Not sure about that, but when something works and works well, it's hard to leave it behind.
For now, the little bugs on the ix12 are probably worth dealing with until another app-based transmitter emerges from them, for me anyway.
The other thing that makes switching hard, is replacing all the receivers in existing planes and the cost involved. Although an argument many have is just keep two transmitters and just don't buy more old receivers for new planes and eventually you'll thin out the old herd.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:11 PM
T_CAT

Just to be clear, my comment wasn't directed toward anyone particular, just a thought that crossed my mind when talking about various transmitter brands.
bodywerks (02-06-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 07:59 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I donít like the feel of a jeti so I will use anything other than that. So jeti fans should make a I love jeti page instead of posting on a spectrum thread.
Jeti makes me feel like the pizza delivery boy.
bodywerks (02-09-2020)