Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Best method for alert if 1 of 2 turbine shuts down in flight

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best method for alert if 1 of 2 turbine shuts down in flight

Old 02-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Steam28
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best method for alert if 1 of 2 turbine shuts down in flight

I have an A-10 with Jet Central Super Bee II KS turbines. I am looking for the best way to be alerted in the event one of the engines shuts down/ flameout vs. waiting to hear difference in flight. Can I get a vibration alert using my Spektrum DX18 G2 (no voice). What telemetry module/ device can I buy to make this happen?

Thanks,
Milton

Old 02-12-2020, 12:56 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Milton, sorry as I do not have any experience with Spektrum but with Futaba I will go with an external voltage cable for turbine "1" and a voltage sensor for turbine "2" connected to the pumps electrical supplies from each ECU and programming a vibration alert for "0" V and a common activation switch, -for example, the same than for the retracts or flight chrono so as to keep alarms off while turbines are not started.

Then it is up to you to select different vibration alerts or just the same if you just want to know a turbine is off and quickly go for landing!

Quite sure that you may follow my Futaba procedure with your Spektrum radio.

Best Regards,
Old 02-12-2020, 03:42 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Not sure how or if you can do it with the DX18 but on my A-10 with Jeti, I have it set up to vibrate the left stick 3 times for left engine flameout and the right stick 3 times for right engine flameout. I also have a voice announcement for Left and Right engine flameout but I'm not sure it can be heard with multiple jets in the air, which is why I also have the stick vibration alert. I agree with Jesus that you need to program the alert so as not to go off when you first start-up.

FYI, with a twin, it's important to know which engine has flamed out in a critical situation (i.e. takeoff or other low-altitude/high power situation), so you can counter it with opposite rudder (not just aileron). You are wise to have an alert of some sort to warn you.

Craig
Old 02-12-2020, 03:04 PM
roydefiant

Craig, I would be in your debt if you could describe how you set that up on your JETI or direct me to where it is written up. My CARF SU27 will be ready this Spring and I would like to do the same

Roy
Old 02-12-2020, 04:46 PM
Westwindpilot86

Use diesel in your turbines. You will know right away that you had a flameout. In my kingtech 260 the other day, it looked like i turned on my smoke system for about 2 seconds. I was like "I didnt do that." Turned it back to the field, luckily auto-restart was activated and I was able to get the turbine back and setup a nice approach for a landing.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:54 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Roy,

The parameters I use for the alarm are fuel pump voltage less than .2v and EGT greater than 200c. You also need some way for your Jeti to distinguish the telemetry output from each turbine so you can set up separate alarms. The Vspeak units I used can be configured with different names to accomplish that. I don't have my transmitter in front of me right now so I can't tell you the exact setup I used for the alarms. I'll try to find that when I back in town. I do recall that I used RCthoughts website to record and download custom left and right flameout voice callouts.

Craig