Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Who painted this jet? CARF Flash F86 scheme

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Who painted this jet? CARF Flash F86 scheme

Old 04-07-2020, 02:20 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (113)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who painted this jet? CARF Flash F86 scheme

I am about ready to have my flash painted in this scheme, but unfortunately I have no idea where to start with the colors or finding paint similar to this. So I'm wondering if anyone on here painted this jet or knows who did paint it and could help me with identifying the paint codes/colors used? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Old 04-07-2020, 04:40 PM
airsteve172

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by txshan130 View Post
I am about ready to have my flash painted in this scheme, but unfortunately I have no idea where to start with the colors or finding paint similar to this. So I'm wondering if anyone on here painted this jet or knows who did paint it and could help me with identifying the paint codes/colors used? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Is this plane in your possession or have you seen it in person? The reason I ask is because in some ways it looks suspiciously like iron-on film, but it's hard to tell from the photos.

If this is indeed paint, then it seems to have some unusual attributes. One unusual aspect of the paint is that the finish is exceptionally smooth without any hint of orange peel. This is unusual for two reasons. The first is that such a caliber of paint finish is usually reserved for show models and requires an uncommon level of expertise, but the second reason is in contradiction to the skill and effort of the painter as there are some weird flaws in the midst of otherwise great surface preparation.

In any event, I suggest that you look up your local auto body paint supplier. If you can't find one, ask at a body shop where they get their supplies.

The reason I recommend auto paint is because it is very unlikely to be able to attain that level of finish with paints and materials available for hobby purposes. An auto body suppier can also make up paint in any shade imaginable and if you have a sample they can computer match it exactly! The downside of using auto paint is that you better have some idea of how to select the type of paint (there are several) as well as have familiarity with its application. The only instructions you'll find on a can is mixing ratios for hardener so knowing the techniques for spraying it is up to you.

Last edited by airsteve172; 04-07-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-07-2020, 11:39 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

I think it started like as a Jolly Roger Classic Flash, it’s been damaged and the guy has repainted the top. It looks like a heavy coat and clear.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:05 AM
airsteve172

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
I think it started like as a Jolly Roger Classic Flash, itís been damaged and the guy has repainted the top. It looks like a heavy coat and clear.
While I have no idea about the history of this aircraft, it does seem to have the earmarks of a basecoat/clearcoat finish, applied by someone with above average painting skills.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:29 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (53)

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
I think it started like as a Jolly Roger Classic Flash, itís been damaged and the guy has repainted the top. It looks like a heavy coat and clear.
As David has said, whomever owned it before touched up with base coat-clear coat. Unless you know what you are doing or willing to go through the cost of learning. The paint and supplies are expensive. You can use Omni, PPG, Nason or DuPont. Silver as a base coat is extremely difficult to apply and adhesion if applying any color coat over it. It isnít Monokote. Airex canít have Monokote applied over it, because it will melt or warp if gotten too hot. If you are only doing touch up. If you can find a NAPA paint store, NOT part store, NAPA will match up the paint if you take parts to them. Then they will make the paint with clear coat in it and put it in a rattle can. If youíre wanting to paint the whole jet, then it needs sanded all over with wet 1000, sealer applied, then base coat, clear coat. YouTube has a lot of professionals giving lessons to watch their channel.
Hereís my Lightning that I did a total refurbishment sanding down to the fiberglass. My silver is actually two silvers airbrushed over each other for shadowing.

Pilot installed

Maiden day prior to pilot head finished

This was painted in my garage.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 04-08-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:56 AM
RCFlyerDan

Just know that whatever you paint, if you screw it up, simply sand it off and do it again! Itís how you learn! Definitely have a chemical respirator! This stuff is nasty to work with.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:09 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe Kenny McSpadden painted that flash. It looks amazing in person!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:10 AM
ravill

I’ll see if I can find his rcu handle.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:52 AM
ravill

His handle is GR7Racer.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Eagle Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask Jeremy (LGM Graphics) here on RCU, he can help you with all the info you need.
This Flash looks like a easy paint job ;-)

Here`s my Ultra Lightning ...

Old 04-08-2020, 04:45 PM
RCFlyerDan

Respect😎
Old 04-09-2020, 12:27 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (113)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill View Post
His handle is GR7Racer.
Thank you! I really appreciate it!

And thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! I wont be painting the jet as I have pretty much no painting experience lol. Having it done by a friend with a paint shop.