Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A short safety note.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A short safety note.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:33 AM
David Gladwin

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default A short safety note.

Here in the UK. the weather is great for outdoor spraying.

Just sprayed the clear on my Sabre and was doing some touch up using a small Badger gun.

As usual when cleaning the gun I was spraying thinner into a rag.

I must have closed off the nozzle completely and pressurised the bottle.

Result was a jet of thinner out of the vent hole which went under my glasses and straight into my right eye, absolute agony.

I remember from my airline days that the correct treatment for a faceful of hydraulic fluid was COPIOUS irrigation with water and seek medical attention. My wife, once PanAms nurse at LHR wrote the notes about that for my airline. ) *

Doing that today may have saved my right eye!

Be careful guys, dont repeat my mistake !

* Some stands at airport around the world, have eyewash sprays allowing instant water face wash in the event of fluid, fuel oil, hyd fluid etc.,contamination .

Old 04-10-2020, 09:27 AM
Ad Clark
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope that there was no permanent damage David and that your eye fully recovers.

Thanks for posting the safety reminder sir.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:45 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

David, thank you for posting your experince, take care of that eye.

The other day I was using my mini torch, it slipped off my hands and it burned a spot of hair on my left arm, that was a close one.

Safety, safety.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:26 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts

Dave, hope there was no permanent damage. I was just using lacquer thinner today and splashed some on my face. It can happen so quickly when doing something so simple and routine. It missed my eye but I still did the face flush at the shop utility sink. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Gary
Old 04-10-2020, 05:28 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 5 years ago I was fueling my jet at home when a small leak occurred and shot a stream of kero right in one eye. I called my eye doctor and was told to strongly flush it with facet water for 5 minutes and get to their office immediately. The doctor flushed it with some other liquid and the pain started to decrease. I to was lucky with no permanent damage. When at the flying field I usually wear sunglasses which would help deflect the leak like that.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:40 AM
David Gladwin

Thanks for the good wishes , guys.

A very red eye and a splitting headache last evening but all well this morning.

My wife was really on the ball with very rapid water.

Just goes to show these things can happen in a flash.

I have often thought we could do well to have a safety thread on this site, some of the chemicals and processes we use are potentially indeed actually hazardous..

The fullsize aviation world has long had incident reporting systems, perhaps we could follow that lead.

Anyway, hope this tale prevents a recurrence.

David G.

PS really ironic I was painting !
This weekend was planned to be a jet meeting at a wonderful site and the weather is perfect !
CV 19 put paid to that !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 04-11-2020 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:56 AM
JP-1

Received 263 Likes on 241 Posts

One problem we have is that in a work environment we do everything by the book, the task, procedure is planned, and fully risk assessed.

At home or away from a controlled environment we tend to switch off and put ourselves at risk, human nature.

I wont tell you about the time I attempted to dis- assemble a sealed garden gate closure mechanism, it contained a very large spring!!!!!!!

Alistair P
P,S. Typical Bruntingthorpe weather, hot sunshine, and blue sky :-(

Last edited by JP-1; 04-11-2020 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:11 AM
David Gladwin

Yes, Alistair, a real tragedy that we have missed Brunty in such wonderful weather.

That said, this CV isolation has allowed a lot of time in the workshop, so many serviceable models just waiting to be flown, I know you will like this new Sabre in 66 Sqn colours, one if the two air defence squadrons at Linton before they got Hunters and moved to Acklington.

Stay safe guys, it WILL end !