Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Thrust tube repair help.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Thrust tube repair help.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:48 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thrust tube repair help.

I have a question for the turbine jet pro's. I had a bad ECU and my turbine shot some very hot flames out of the back into my thrust tube and vector unit. It was very hot and turned the pipes colors before I was able to shut it down. The thrust tube and turbine look burnt now and the thrust tube appears to be showing indentations and malformations all the way around from the spacer that separates the inner pipe from the outer. My questions are: is the thrust pipe salvageable, will it cause any damage if I just left it, and how do I find another thrust tube? Here are the pics, (especially the first one) you can see were the pipe is discolored and the indentations are showing through the thrust tube near the turbine itself. I did not think it would get hot enough for the metal to start malforming but there it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (11).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	2267307   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (12).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	2267308   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnailtt.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2267309  

Last edited by Agrav8ed; 05-16-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:29 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 18 years ago, same thing. Very next flight the thrust tube failed creating less pressure inside than outside, the jet exploded in air at Florida Jets. Several people had heard of this before, but it was not well known that this could happen. When I look back at losing that airplane over $150.00 pipe, sure wish I could get a do-over....
Old 05-17-2020, 04:38 AM
Jetmodeler

If your tailpipe is discolored you have effected the temper of the metal, weakened it, if the smooth round shape has wrinkled it is over the pipe is ruined. As stated above the failure mode of the tailpipe is catastrophic, it will collapse at high power blocking the exhaust from exiting out the back of the airplane, so all that hot turbine exhaust backs up in the airplane, end of the airplane. I would suggest err on the safe side, if in doubt replace.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:36 AM
Dawn Ellzey

I agree the pipe should be replaced

Joey Tamez / JT's Hobby makes jet pipes
He is team Elite Aerosports and makes their pipes
682-715-0221
[email protected]
Old 05-17-2020, 06:39 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the confirmation fellas. I will try to find a replacement.
Tone
Old 05-17-2020, 08:53 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Dawn had said, Call Joey and give him the dimensions of your pipe and he can make it then ship it to you