Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

In Flight Auto Restart.... Let's hear real world experiences?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

In Flight Auto Restart.... Let's hear real world experiences?

Old 07-06-2020, 12:26 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default In Flight Auto Restart.... Let's hear real world experiences?

Do you have experience with in flight auto restart? Seems like the function has been out in one form or another long enough to get some observations.
The following users liked this post:
camss69 (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 12:50 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt, I fly with it turned on all the time. Back in late 2015, early 2016, Mike Lin (Global Jet Club) wanted a lot of flights done quickly on the SW60's. I was available to fly 6 days a week back then. I had 2 flameouts under nearly identical conditions on 2 different days. Low altitude roll, ~30ft up, 50 yards out, downwind, mid-speed, etc. Crappy UAT, (not BVM). Engine restarted both times and was able to go around on final and fly for a few more minutes.

Some of the fields where we have jet meets are runways where there's no place to go and you face loss or damage if the engine quits. I've seen way too many jets crash from flameouts where making the runway was impossible. A lot of people won't use it and some have had some less than great experiences with it. It's a risk-value decision.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:03 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a heavy scale jet you probably wont have time for it to restart. A lightly loaded sport jet has a much better chance.
bodywerks (07-07-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 04:20 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So ... if its turned off you have 0% chance. Whats your point?

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220 View Post
On a heavy scale jet you probably wont have time for it to restart. A lightly loaded sport jet has a much better chance.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:20 PM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

always ON on the KTs I own that have the feature....
it saved my Mephisto a few times at the beginning due to a leak on one of the fuel tanks.

The restart is very fast im glad I had it on....
Old 07-06-2020, 08:40 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm really torn on this subject. Remember what happened to Andrew Jesky at Red Flag; ran out of fuel waiting to land, got it down and off the side of the runway but with no fuel those Leonardo's will drop the tail down to the ground. His engine attempted a restart; started a fire in the weeds and burned the thing to a piece of junk.

I've also seen quite a number of guys attempting a deadstick, get it on the runway and the autostart initiates and usually results in a hot start which burns the model. This seems to be most common in models with twin engines which is probably the place I'd have thought it would be most valuable. Now I'm not sure if I want to use it or not.....
Old 07-06-2020, 09:54 PM
LA jetguy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Always on ... had a flame out on K70 and one on JM100XBL... both due to air bubble in filter .. both started and continued flying... Not using filter anymore .. a good UAT is my filter..

David
bodywerks (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 06:33 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Hmmm, one just needs to remember to turn off the turbine from the tx when the turbine is on the ground or it seems like your jet is not going to make it.

Matt, I know you wanted real world experience. I heard directly from a friend, (Manny), he had an auto restart on a sky master 1/7th f-18F and it restarted very fast and he was able to land safely.

I will be turning it on on my mibo A-10.

How can you have a hot start when an engine runs out of fuel? There is nothing to catch fire?!

Last edited by ravill; 07-07-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:41 AM
ravill

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I've also seen quite a number of guys attempting a deadstick, get it on the runway and the autostart initiates and usually results in a hot start which burns the model. This seems to be most common in models with twin engines which is probably the place I'd have thought it would be most valuable. Now I'm not sure if I want to use it or not.....

So you have seen "quite a number" of these auto restart happen on the runway when a turbine auto restarts?!

Sounds horrible! Why would an auto restart cause a hot start in "quite a number" of jets. I could possibly understand a jet or two (from say leaking pressure lines, smoke systems that keep pumping smoke fluid, etc...) but "quite a number", more than say, 10 jets? Hmm....
Old 07-07-2020, 09:47 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill View Post
So you have seen "quite a number" of these auto restart happen on the runway when a turbine auto restarts?!

Sounds horrible! Why would an auto restart cause a hot start in "quite a number" of jets. I could possibly understand a jet or two (from say leaking pressure lines, smoke systems that keep pumping smoke fluid, etc...) but "quite a number", more than say, 10 jets? Hmm....
By design, the restart feature ramps the RPM up very quickly, and it assumes the aircraft is in flight with plenty of air flow through the turbine. If it restarts on the ground while it's not moving it could ramp up the fuel quick enough to cause a hot start. That said, if I experience an in flight restart I kill the turbine as soon as I touch down, just in case.
I have only had one in flight restart, due to pilot error(fully emptied the tank and uat the prior weekend, and introduced bubbles). I wouldn't say it saved me, as I had plenty of altitude and was already making my way to short final, but not having to land due to the restart was a relief.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:32 PM
ravill

Wow, I guess it makes sense to match fuel output to RPM and combustion chamber temp. What do I know: exactly zilch.

It goes to show, as mentioned above, always turn off your turbine when on the ground (in one piece or many!) or know you can’t make it back.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:40 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill View Post
It goes to show, as mentioned above, always turn off your turbine when on the ground (in one piece or many!) or know you can’t make it back.
This is likely the key.

Similar situation, many of us have programming such that when the gear switch is up, brakes and steering are rendered inactive. Imagine how often in this hobby someone has their gear extend automatically due to failsafe and turns a successful safety feature (the failsafe) into a nightmare because they forget to flip the switch and then find no steering and no brakes after an otherwise successful landing! Same thing I suppose here, if you're too low to trust the restart get your trim down to zero to prevent these scary situations.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:21 PM
causeitflies

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Auburn02 View Post
This is likely the key.

Similar situation, many of us have programming such that when the gear switch is up, brakes and steering are rendered inactive. Imagine how often in this hobby someone has their gear extend automatically due to failsafe and turns a successful safety feature (the failsafe) into a nightmare because they forget to flip the switch and then find no steering and no brakes after an otherwise successful landing! Same thing I suppose here, if you're too low to trust the restart get your trim down to zero to prevent these scary situations.
For my gear failsafe I have an alarm that tells me to flip the gear switch down. The same can be applied to the engine flameout alarm to remind you to hit the kill switch. Of course this is assuming the radio is capable.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:19 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

If its a heavy scale plane I would not use it. That is just one more thing to worry about when doing the dead stick landing. Its not going to be started and giving thrust soon enough so just dead stick it and walk away with a plane that might need repairs instead of a fireball.

Now a sport jet and similar aircraft that can stay up a bit I would enable it. I have seen plenty of planes auto restart in the air and make it.

Twins.... If the plane will fly well on one engine then I guess enable it. Me after the experience I have with twins if I loose an engine I would shut the other engine off and take my chances with a dead stick before I fly around on one engine.

It does have it place but you need to asses your aircraft type. Flying field obstructions and ground type along with other things.
bodywerks (07-09-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 06:31 AM
ravill

Like I said, I had a buddy with a 1/7 SM F-18F have a restart that was quick enough to let him land. I don’t think an F-18F as a low drag scale jet.